“Not as bad as these reviews make it out to be” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“Not as bad as these reviews make it out to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

i booked this hotel thinking it was going to be run down and very sketchy from the reviews.
when i got off on the exit and followed the google map directions i was worried seemed like a very ghetto neighborhood . but as i approached i was put at ease to see this hotel was in very good condition and right next to a main upscale looking shopping center target and panera bread in walking distance and almost walking distance to ikea. rthe hotel was right n the middle of probably the only nice part of that area then it gets sorta beat down as you get blocks away.very close to bart tho you have to take a free shuttle from almost right across the street of extended stay to get there nd back . but it saves you walking through any "danger". and i stayed for two nights and was impressed by the room size and all i chose a smoking queen studio and even tho it was a smoking room it wasnt bad nd didnt even smell like smoke when i walked in . and the room was only $100 a night mind you it was a huge event weekend in sf so thats truly not bad . and i left my car parked in front of the lobby which it remained safe i could see a car getting broken into if you parked behing the building cause it so secluded . but all in all it was great!

Room Tip: if you park in the back try and get a room over looking the back parking lot
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We have worked hard to keep it in great condition, acting as a "home away from home" for guests like yourself. It is our goal to not only present a premier product to our guests, but for it to be located in an area which would allow you to easily commute to and from different places and to readily have access to different shopping centers. By the sound of your review, we have been able to do all of this, which is so wonderful to hear.

Once again, from myself and the rest of the staff, thank you for your post about our hotel. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've been here almost 3 weeks. no hot water, warm at best. Vending machine was out of soda for 4 days. Requested to have my room cleaned Twice!! didnt happen. And the topper! I had mail forwarded to me. Later in the week i asked about this mail. The front desk person started looking through cabinets, drawers, etc. They found it, IT HAD BEEN THERE 3 DAYS!!! no call!!! no message!! Lucky i asked about it. this property is also on the fringe of the WORST AREA OF OAKLAND! The property is very well kept and the hotel itself is very clean. Cars were broken into while i stayed there.

Room Tip: find somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing each of our guests a hotel that is clean, displays top notch staff & service and offers all of the basic amenities during your stay. Because of this, I am so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is not the norm for our hotel to receive the sort of feedback you provided. Although it is discouraging to hear that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we are taking the comment to heart and will be working to ensure it does not happen again. Let me apologize once more, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope you will stay at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We (myself and my Mom) had planned to stay at the Oakland-Emeryville location on Wed., June 13 through Sunday, June 17, 2012. Unexpectedly, we ended up checking out Friday morning because our requests to management for assistance were completely ignored.

The water in our bathtub wasn't draining. After we tried to get the water to drain, we asked the front desk-attendant to please have someone try and fix the issue. She said no problem and wrote down the request for maintenance. Upon our return to the hotel five hours later, the water was still in the tub, rendering us unable to shower again to prepare for our nighttime events.

We went back to the front desk and spoke to another attendant who said it was unlikely that anyone came to look at the bathtub (!) while we were gone. She said she would ask the night manager, who was due to soon arrive, to try and drain the tub. We also asked that if the tub couldn't be fixed to please move us to another room if one was available.

We left again and returned to the hotel at midnight. There was no one at the front desk other than a very nice cleaning lady (we realized later the front desk closed at 11pm). There's still water in our tub and there's no note from management telling us whether an attempt was made to fix the tub, or if we would be given another room. No communication at all. I called the 800-number to complain and asked about the hotel's policy related to charges for earlier-than-planned checkouts.

Friday morning at the front desk: I believe I was clear with the manager and the attendant (to whom I initially spoke about the tub) that we were checking out early, why, and that I didn't expect to be charged for Friday-Sunday. The manager claimed that I was seeking a refund for the days we had stayed. No, I just didn't want to be charged for the upcoming days. I decided to then call the corporate office to advise them of my problem, and it was then that the regional sales director stood up and said that we would not be charged for the Friday-Sunday days, and that we would receive a discount for the time we had already stayed.

I do appreciate that we were given a discount, as I hadn't sought that. Still, all of this didn't need to happen if the management had just communicated to us that they were addressing the tub issue and how it would be resolved. We don't ask for perfection, just decent communication and respect.

We ended up moving to the downtown Oakland Marriott for only $20 more a night. Great hotel.

Another thing that I should pass along: Upon our arrival, we were told that because of the length of our stay that no clean-up service for the room would be provided. If I had known that beforehand, that would've been a red flag for me.

(By the way, the Friday-morning front-desk manager did go to our room and said that he was able to drain the tub. While that was good, I asked him why couldn't anyone have done that earlier.)

Our first time at ExtendedStay will also mark our last visit there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.  Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory.  Please know how truly sorry I am. The experience you described is regrettable.

We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As the Regional Director of Operations, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff and management. As we know that a totally satisfied customer is one who will come back and stay with us again, we are sad to think that you might not return to our property due to your tumultuous stay. That is why we take your review so seriously. It reminds us that we still have room to improve.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other brand locations.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!