“A "Unique" Three Star in Downtown Oakland” 3 of 5 stars

The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #17 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Vancouver, Washington
“A "Unique" Three Star in Downtown Oakland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

The ancient, early 1900's exterior is a hint at what's instore for guests at this hotel. Let's get my gripes out of the way first:
PARKING: The hotel tells you that there is parking available across the street for $12/night. I thought this was a pretty good deal. The parking is actually in the parking lot of the Marriott Convention Center parking lot. You take a ticket from the machine when you enter and basically throw that away. When you're ready to go, you have to sign for a key card from the desk clerk. The key card lets you exit the garage. You have to then drive around the block and park in front of the hotel to return the key card to the desk clerk so that the next guest can use it to get their car out. Anbd you have to do this EVERY time you want to get in your car and go somewhere. One day when I was trying to get to an appointment, I had to wait in the lobby for 15 minutes for guests to a key card (all three were out). I guess the upside is that you're paying half of what others are paying to stay in the same parking lot.
BAR/RESTAURANT: The nice looking bar in the lobby is only open from 5pm to 9pm, Monday through Friday. No weekends. Period. The restaurant attached to the lobby has the same hours.
ROOM SIZE: This was the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. It was outright tiny.

Now, all gripes aside, the hotel is actually nicely appointed. The lobby is well kept, and nicely furnished. The front desk staff were very friendly, and helpful. The elevator was probably the original one. It's more like riding up in a cage and you can smell the grease and gears of the elevator shaft.

The hallways are narrow, as is normal for buildings of this period, and the rooms are small. But despite their 'smallness', the rooms are nicely furnished. Don't bring too many clothes as some rooms only have a small wardrobe for hanging up clothing. My room only had a mini ironing board (just like i had in my dorm room in college), a nice sized desk, comfortable bed, and nice sized bathroom. The pedastel sink is actually in the bedroom, but it's attractive and gives the room some flavor.

I stayed in room #308. I took a peek in room #307 since it was open. There was a guy installing new carpet in there. 307 was larger than 308 as it had a sitting area in addition to the bedroom. I'm guessing it was a Jr. Suite.

The hotel is in a great location for doing business downtown. It was a perfect basecamp for me as most of the places I had to go were walking distance. I felt pretty safe in the area as the Oakland Police headquarters is a few blocks away, and there always seemed to be a police car driving down the street or parked nearby.

I'd consider staying here again if I was on business or traveling solo. I like open spaces and two people in my room would have been VERY uncomfortable for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Germantown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for work. I had high hopes because images on the website looked really good. Although this hotel looks charming (nice pictures on the wall and furniture--not to mention the baby grand in the lobby), it was anything but charming.

I stayed in room 413. When I opened the door, I coudn't believe hotel rooms could be that small. The bed was nice and clean, and this is the ONLY reason I am giving it 2 stars instead of one. But the carpet was old and stained and the entire room had a slight smell to it. The bathroom was also very old and the bottom of the shower was stained blue. And one of the towels provided had a red/orange stain on it. But the worst part was that there was NO hot water. After 3-5 minutes in the shower, I heard a click and all hot water was gone. I let the front desk know and they simply told me to try to shower later that afternoon and see if it got better.

All this aside, my worst compaint is about the noise in this hotel. It is an old building, so there is a considerable amount of creeking from the floorboards and the walls are paper thin. Everything could be heard in the hallway and from the street. And their elevator is old and makes squeeking sounds whenever it's in use (which is often, since it's their only elevator). There is also a loud sound from something starting up, perhaps the heating system? This noise occured every 20-30 minutes. I had a very hard time falling and staying alseep both nights of my stay.

I stayed here with three other work colleagues, and we all had a bad experience. And the common complaint was the noise and lack of sleep due to it. Please spend an extra couple dollars and stay somewhere else. This is one of those places, you'll wish you had listened.

Totally separate--don't eat at the restaurant. It's not awful, it's just not good. And there are several great places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

This is a very special space in a city that is nearly all franchise hotels. It is an older, comfortable and unique hotel with welcoming rooms and an antique ambience in the positive sense. I have stayed at the Inn at least five times and every stay has been restful and enjoyable.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I was so disappointed the minute I walked into the door. The smell of mold and grime was overwhelming. I would have checked into another hotel immediately if I had not paid for the hotel online. The restaurant was closed from Saturday until Monday Evening and since it was raining on Sunday, I had to order in. On Sunday evening the power went out and stayed out until late that night. When I did order from the restaurant Monday Night I immediately understood why the restaurant was only opened from 5-9 M-F. The food was the worst I have had in a very longtime. The carpet was filthy, the bedspread was filty and every wall in the room was covered with something the maids refused to wipe off. I still am having a difficult time getting the smell out of my clothes.

santa clara, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

My daughter was going to be taking the baby bar at the Oakland Convention Center and wanted to stay somewhere the night before because she had to be in and seated for the test at the crack of dawn (7:30 am). We looked for a hotel and this seemed to be the best as the Marriott is double the price of this hotel.

We researched and read other hotels reviews. As a paranormal researcher, I am used to the older, more quaint hotels and that is exactly what this is. Filled with history and elegance of the older styles, this hotel had a lot to offer. I enjoyed the wonderful staircase and could picture people walking down in different dress-styles than today. The rooms, while small, offered everything we needed for an overnight stay. There was a nice shower, windows that opened if need be, an air conditioner, comfortable beds and clean sheets. The continental breakfast was just that but was well laid out and set up in front of two tv's with comfortable chairs.

My only concern was parking but the hotel offered a deal on parking in the convention center parking area that was well lit and seemed safe. Incidentally, the convention center where my daughter was taking her test was about 6' from our hotel. Nicely located among other small shops along a well lit street at night.

I was very happy with this hotel and its' accommodations and would definitely consider it again. Easy access off the freeway made it a very nice place to stay.

Greenwater, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Checkin took a while and the room keys did not work on the first try so I had to go back down(and wait in line again) to get a replacement.
Room was clean and as we expected. Housekeeping service was also fine. The restaurant apparently is not open on the weekends, that was the major drawback.
We were in Oakland for some shows at the Fox Theater and this hotel was within walking distance. Nice to have a brewpub right next door.
The major problem that we had is that Oakland is not much of a tourist town so there were not a lot of bars/restaurants open at night. Most everything (even Starbucks) is closed on the weekend??

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We own an upscale event planning company and often have to book hotels for our celebrity guests. The customer service from Raj in particular has always been exceptional. Our clients love the fact that the inn is a smaller more intimate hotel with more one on one attention. The ease of booking, wonderful customer service and great location have made this hotel our favorite. :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!