“Very nice stay here, everything I could want” 4 of 5 stars

The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #15 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice stay here, everything I could want”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed firstly at the Inn at Jack London Sqaure, and moved to the Washington Inn after a recommendation from a friend. I moved from Jack London Squre as it was unbelievably noisy with the trains going by all night & bars nearby. I was very happy with the move & my stay here. I stayed for 4 nights & was very comfortable & most importantly - peaceful & quiet. No noise from the trains!!!
The room was decorated tastefully, clean enough (though there was a big stain on the carpet), lovely corner room with plently of natural light & fresh air (both windows opened up nicely), and good service. It was a nice quaint boutique hotel with an old style elevator & carpeted staircase if you want the exercise.
It's in a great location (considering Oakland is not the nicest destinations), in 'Old Oakland' and very close to the BART. Very nice restuarants & cafes near by.
The fridge in the room is very handy & the free use of the internet downstairs.
The free continental breakfast is ok, probably not worth getting up early for if you want to sleep in.
I would come back here definitely if I returned to Oakland.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Our room smelled very strongly of urine, the towels were stained, old and frayed. The carpet was dirty and all of the walls had stains and scuff marks. The air conditioning unit rattled all night and didn't really cool the room down. The continental breakfast was sad- cheap lukewarm coffee and pre-packaged pastries.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed here for one night with a friend so we could go to a concert at the Fox Theater nearby. I paid for about a $100 on hotels.com and I thought it was the best rate I could get versus the Courtyard Marriott and Marriott hotels that were nearby that were charging $169 or more.

We got a room with 2 double-sized beds, and I admit, it's a small room. The sink is not inside the bathroom either. I think the bathroom could use some renovations, particularly the shower. There's no tub, just a shower stall, and the showerhead could be a little bit taller. I'm 5'6" and I felt like I had to crouch down a bit. And some handlebars would've been helpful- it was a good thing I had flip flops with me because I really would've been afraid of slipping. (I can't help being a stickler for these kinda things because I'm a clumsy person.) But the beds were very comfortable, and overall the room was clean. And the free WiFi was an awesome perk.

The staff was great too. I asked if we could check in early, and they had a room ready by the time we got there, which was noon. There's a complimentary continental breakfast that's not too bad. I'd probably look into staying here again next time I have to be in Oakland. It's very close to the BART station and I think it's in a clean area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
san ramon, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

First, the staff is so nice, friendly and accomodating. RAJ the front desk guy is very personable and makes you feel welcomed as soon as you walk in the door.

I stayed at this hotel because it was inexpensive and literally right across the street from the Convention Center where I had to take the CA Bar Exam. The walk over was literally 10 seconds. They also had boxed lunches you can order so when you come back from the morning session of the test you had food ready to go. That was a big plus. Also, there is a great Japanese restaurant across the street which is so convenient too.

I would have given the hotel 5 stars but the bathroom I had was not clean. Despite the fact, that I'm borderline OCD when it comes to cleanliness, I was somewhat grossed out by the mildew in the corners and the dirt tains on the bathroom floor. Also, the room setup is quite "unique" as the sink is outside of the bathroom in a random corner of the room. Odd but okay. The room itself was nice, modern and cozy. But bathroom could use a good cleaning or facelift, most esp. the shower! Maybe dousing it with Chlorox or Tilex would do the job.

In any event, I truly enjoyed staying here -- bed was comfy - desk was good for last minute cramming - and - the free Wi-Fi was a nice plus too. They also have free continental breakfasts in the morning from 7-9am. I highly recommend the hotel, esp. to the bar examinees in July and Feb. You can check out at 1pm and have them store your bag until the exam is over on the last day of the exam! =)

Let's see if I pass..if not, I'll definitely be back to stay at this hotel. Hopefully, the bathroom I get will be much cleaner =)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We stayed at the Washington Inn in Oakland the day after Christmas. We are aware that it is neither a five- or a four-star hotel so we did not expect it to be as such. We would rate it tops in its three-star category. It reminded us of those simple hotels/inns in Europe. Staying there would give you your money's worth - clean, simple, nice room, pleasant staff and good location. We won't hesitate to stay there again when we visit our grandkids and would recommend it to friends who would rather stay in a hotel in that category. By: P&N with grandkids in Oakland.

Valley Springs, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Stayed here two nights for a conference in October. This hotel is older but refurbished very nicely. Rooms were small but cozy and quaint - comfortable beds and nice furnishings. The elevator is a little scary - small, old, noisy - so got some exercise climbing to the top floor several times daily. Staff was friendly and accomodating; I was there on the night of one of the presidential debates and they set up rows of chairs in the bar so people could watch and the place was packed. The shower could have been better, but overall the place was very nice. The location is great - Old Oakland is on it's way back - art galleries, high end restaurants, boutiques. If you go, check out the "Housewives Market" just around the corner - it's unique.

• Liked — Location, comfortable bed, quaint and pleasant
  • Disliked — Elevator, shower
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

I travel frequently on government business, and accordingly am limited to the (quite conservative) government per diem rates for lodging. Because so, I often play the boutique hotel lottery--and nine out of ten times I'm a winner. Not this last time I tell you. Do not let your eyes fool you as you flip through their online photos (as did I). In all fairness, there are a couple of pros, but not enough to even begin to make a dent in the cons; which include (but not limited to)...

Horribly disgusting, filthly carpet--pack those slippers; frayed towels (and I don't mean lightly--my cleaning rags at home are no rival to these); mildew in the shower; questionable bedding, rough and ill-fitting; dirty fridge; filthy upolstery; sloppy paint job (roller brush marks on the ceiling--you and I can do a more professional job, and that's a promise) & glossy finish to boot; poor television reception, and only a handful of channels (abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cnn, tnt, espn and three hbo channels--half of which have "snowy" reception); filthy guest book--covered in dried up spills; NO CLOSET--only about 12 inches of hang space in TV armoire; A/C-heater (in my room at least) broken--and by that, I mean it didn't even turn ON; significant and abundent scuff marks along all the walls and baseboards (to the point of distraction), including hotel hallways; unpleasant odor in hallways; burned out lights in room & hallways -- which not a one was replaced during my three week stay; need I go on???

As I mentioned, there are a few Pros:

Comfortable mattress; clean sink and bathroom (save for the mold in shower--yet in which I could smell was cleaned with bleach); windows open wide (although broken locks, so would be a con if staying on the lower two floors); Very decent restaurant and bar--available for room service, but open only M-F; free wireless in room; pleasant staff; and that's about it folks.

Final comments...this hotel has tons of potential, none of which has been exploited. Gross lumpy pillows on furniture in lobby--would be an improvement if they simply tossed them in the trash. Very ill-maintained, or more accurately, just not maintained at all. If you're in a pinch to find a room, check out the Holiday Inn Express before the Washington Inn. This place is a true dump.

P.s. I generally cannot be bothered to post a thumbs-down review, but mine was an exceptionally dreadful experience, I post this not only to vent, but hope that this review might save you travelers a grave disappointment. Further, it boggles my mind there are four and five star ratings published on this site, and three stars for that sake. Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder, but filth is a fact.

• Liked — restaurant/bar
  • Disliked — everything was filthy & tattered
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!