“Get a room you can walk into exotic Oakland from. Just around the corner from Consecha, a hot Mexican eatery run by a Cy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Washington Inn

You added The Washington Inn to your Saves list
The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Oakland CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This place is a gem set in old Oakland down the street from Smart & Final across from the imposing Oakland Convention Center and hotel. Down the way from my favorite Oakland Restaurant 817 run by my neighbors Scott and Emily. The food at 817 is always a treat and the coffee drinks are legendary. On Farmers' Market Day you can hear live music, get food from great vendors like Dibrova's Sausages, or Charlie's Sweets, or buy old sturdy pots from the 2 guys who know their ware. Get flowers from coastal growers for $3.00 a bunch and up. Hear my favorite Chinese musician playing a difficult 2 stringed Chinese instrument. Then you can cross Broadway and go to CHINATOWN where they do things differently. IT IS A TRIP AND A HALF!!!

Room Tip: Just talk to the people at the hotel. Why do think they work there?
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at this hotel years ago and loved it. It needs a facelift and that's too bad because it has great potential. Great location and great bones as a small "boutique" hotel but needs major work in the common areas. Carpet is dirty, walls need paint and get on the elevator at your own risk. The staff was nice enough, very attentive. Overall not bad because I adjusted my expectations and focused awesome location. Would not rule out another stay in a pinch!

Room Tip: Not many options
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here in early December. the hotel is clean and really good deal. We stayed in a regular queen room. room was clean and well maintain. They offer a continental breakfast, which was enough for the start of the day. Staff was helpful and friendly. Next rime am in Oakland we will stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Forestville, Maryland, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My company made RSVP @ this hotel. I had to cancel because I made other plans. They still charged it but took the time to professionally explain to me how the mistake happened and sent me a confirmation of the credit. Thanks Thomas.

HOWEVER, while I was there inquiring about why my card was charged although i cancelled. I noticed that they promote a taxi service PRO CAB COMPANY.

The fast talking driver Ali is a total rip off. Charged me $43 from the airport instead if $25 - $30 (and was looking for a tip) and wanted to charge me $15 for an $8 cab drive from the hotel to my location of biz.

I know he has biz cards at the hotel because it's taped by the front desk but use him only if you want to be ripped off.

• Stayed December 2013
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Absolutely awful. Was here on business and the Marriott was booked. This place was sketchy. There was blood on my comforter, you could feel every spring in the mattress, and it was odd that there were no sinks in the bathroom-there was one next to my bed.
There is no on-site gym, as they advertise. I was told at check-in they have an arrangement with a local gym and there would be no charge. In the end, I was charged for gym and parking, though I didn't even have a car.
The breakfast is minimal. One morning I went down at 6:15 and there was no coffee. The manager, also the only one there, was one the phone and said he'd help me later. THIRTY MINUTES LATER he brings out coffee and it is ice cold. Then he tried to go reheat it.
My advice to anyone would be to just stay somewhere else. There are plenty of other hotels nearby that I am sure offer better service and amenities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was on a short list of accommodations for a wedding weekend- I found I was the only one of the 50 out-of-towners who stayed here..first a list:
PROS:
-location
-parking, they worked an arrangement with the Oakland Civic Center for parking. This worked out fine
-quaint, I prefer funky non-chain facilities
-decor. Lobby was great. Lacking in rooms

CONS:
-room conditions, upon check in I noted that the light in the windowless bathroom was out- the only light source was the heated lamp. It was never repaired. Upon checkout on Sunday I brought it up again, hoping that I could get some small compensation on the bill to make up for the fact that the bath area got Hella hot & I had to leave the room cooler to dry up the sweat from my shower. It fell on deaf ears. Also my room ( #402) had a severe problem of regulating the water temperature from bath to shower. I actually saw it on a website as a comment previously but I guess it's nothing that's been addressed.
-breakfast. Pathetic coffee was palatable but the only non-sugar option was Sweet& Low...next time I'll have to travel with Splenda or Equal. NO FRESH FRUIT. No fresh cream.Stale bakery items ( I assume from the Smart & Final conveniently located next door)
-room entertainment. Ok folks here's where it's the best. The TV was an old TV from the 90's and, get this, a VHS player!!! Save up your old videos and you can watch them here in your next visit....

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!