“Work Tradition” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Long Beach, CA
“Work Tradition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been visiting Oakland, CA for work since 1990. The Washington Inn became a standard bunk place for my team and me. I continue to stay here because the price is right, I know the place and it is tolerable. The staff are barely competent, but they try hard; the lobby bar is abandoned most nights; the restaurant has never tempted me (dinner only) and the complimentary continental breakfast would be sumptuous...in a starving third world village. The rooms are clean, but there is a certain cringe factor that makes me tiptoe in the bathroom and keeps me from flopping on the bedspread. No pool, no gym, no business center, just a bed and a TV with a remote that might work. The bed is comfortable and the pillows are nice. The place would rank poor if it weren't for the value factor. My review is a bit harsh and I don't think you will hate the place, but having stayed here often those are my impressions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
DuPont, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Contrary the info about this hotel, it does not have any work out facility. They offer you a discounted pass to a nearby gym. We walked around the hotel a bit at night, but I would not recommend that. If you do, walk toward and past the BART station entrance. The other way just gets seedier.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Well, one of the first hints that this hotel has some issues should be the fact that you walk in the room and there is a VCR. It is, in a word, obsolete. It is a place to sleep if you need it, right in the heart of downtown Oakland. That comes with some pluses and minuses. Very convenient to some of the newer, more chic restaurants. It is close to the BART and easily accessible by the airport. It is also close to old school Oakland, CA including many of the Asian restaurants and some social centers of the Asian American community. The walls were thin and you could hear the boom of the Irish bar next door. Luckily, the night life is lacking and the sounds did not go past 8 or 9pm. The actual hotel is just okay. Avoid the very old and rickety elevator when you can. The rooms are small yet sufficient. The bathrooms are European style. Toilet and shower in the bathroom. Sink on the outside. Toilet did not flush well. The doors do not spring like most conventional hotels, meaning that I saw many doors ajar because people had not been intentional enough about closing them. The hotel offers a continental that consists of day-old pastries, weak coffee, and coffee-flavored tea. It is good for your morning toast. There is a weak internet connection, but no business cetner or printing services. Seeing as I was there for business, this was a bit of a problem. The beds were comfortable. The TV was barely watchable and like the old VCR, there was an older tube TV. I only stayed there, because someone paid my way. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Tell them to keep you away from the bars. Walls are thin!
Canon City, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had booked a different motel in Alameda for our stay in the SF area, but upon arrival we found it was overbooked so we were sent here, as it was co-owned with the Alameda motel.

If you are expecting perfection, you'll be disappointed. There were scuff marks on the walls of our room. The small refrigerator was quite efficient in freezing milk overnight. The TV reception was hit and miss, with different channel line-ups on the two TVs in our room.

But we didn't come to California to watch TV. We needed a good night's sleep at a reasonable rate, and that's exactly what we got. The beds were comfortable. The room was clean and quiet, save from some street noise. If you needed a nice breeze, you could open the solid Pella windows with ease. And, you won't feel claustrophobic with the room's nine foot ceilings.

The elevator car appears to be original to the place, with a woven steel basketweave ceiling exposing the inside of the elevator shaft. It wasn't perfect but it sure was fun! All it needed was a real, live elevator operator to replace the retrofitted control panel to complete the 1920's vibe.

Staff at the Washington were accomodating, and waived our $15/night parking fees since our Alameda motel parking would have been free. Even if we had to pay for the parking, it would have been worth it. The BART subway station was only a couple of blocks away.

This would be a very workable home base for a Bay area visit, without the spendy San Francisco rates.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I don't come to Oakland that often and when I do I always stay at the Washington Inn. Very slick, cozy updated rooms, like the ones found in san Francisco. Its a boutique hotel close to many amazing restaurants and local transport. The Hotel provides a scrumptious breakfast that will you get started for the day. The staff is very friendly, the bed is clean comfortable with down sheet and pillow. Loved it ! recommend it !

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the restaurants are quieter
international
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at this Inn for one night while in town for a meeting. On the plus side, it was cheap and saved taxpayer money. The location was close to the convention center and good restaurants. There was free wifi. On the negative side, it was worn, the bed linens and carpets were stained, there were scuffs all over the walls, broken tiles in the elevator and bathroom, and the lobby was dark and uninviting. The breakfast was sparse and there was nowhere to sit except the lobby so all the chairs were full. The doorlock and sliding card mechanism required a PhD to figure out. All in all, I would not recommend this hotel unless you are on a really tight budget.

Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My room was comfortable, the bed was comfortable, and of the four pillows on the bed, one was exactly right for me, which I almost never find in a hotel, even when I ask for a thin pillow. I opened my window for fresh air and the street below was quiet after 10:30 p.m.

The front desk staff and waitresses were all very friendly. The two evenings I was there the dining room and bar were busy, some of the bar patrons watching an NBA finals game, and all evening there was a guy at the piano playing old tunes. It was a very nice and very enjoyable atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!