“Very noisy on the weekend” 3 of 5 stars

The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
DuPont, Washington, United States
“Very noisy on the weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My sister and I chose this hotel based on pictures and descriptions on their website. Nothing ever looks quite as good in real life. The hotel is old and somewhat charming. The rooms are very small. The hide-a-bed couches are horrible. On the weekend the pub below and next door emits noise and music that makes it impossible to sleep, think or talk until it closes - maybe at 2 a.m. The shower in our room drained very slowly. By the end of a shower were several inches of standing water in the enclosure and it took about 30 minutes to drain. The hotel discounted our stay slightly because of the awful noise. We never did get to eat in the restaurant or order room service because the hours of service were very limited. If you stay and want to walk around go toward the BART station and keep walking. The other direction is not very good for safe excursions. We had an ok time, but I don't think we would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the side above the pub
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Washington Inn is exactly what it says it is, a very traditional hotel which has been completely modernized, while retaining its period look. In this case, location is everything if you want to be in the center of "Old Oakland", which is right next to Chinatown. The hotel is clean, well-managed and quite friendly. There is a small breakfast buffet each morning, enough to get you started.
Just around the corner and down the street is a very special wine bar, "District". Across the street from them is a very nice Italian restaurant, "Borgo Italia Bar & Caffe" [499 9th Street]. Both are worth a trip.
I like the Washington Inn very much, and having metered parking available just across the street was a real plus, too

Room Tip: If you';re a light sleeper, ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel, as the street noises ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had to attend a conference held at the Oakland Convention Center and the hotel was immediately across the street from the Center. Much less expensive than the Oakland Marriott City Center or the Courtyard by Marriott, both of which are nearby. Chinatown is just around the corner and the City Center/12th St. Bart Station was 1/2 block away, which made for quick Bart getaways into San Francisco since Oakland is dead after sundown. This made the area feel sketchy at night, but that is not the fault of the hotel, that is an image problem Oakland has to deal with.

This is a budget hotel that tries to be a boutique hotel, but the age of the building, the compact size of the rooms and the quirkiness of things like pedestal sinks in the sleeping area, as a need for some TLC, causes me to give this hotel only a 3 star rating. Some touch up paint on the walls, fix the room safes so that they can be used (Raj said it has been 4 weeks since the safes have not been fixed), and a fix to my bathroom light (which kept turning off every few minutes and then would go back on). Time to also invest in new flat screen TVs.

Raj, the manager on duty when I checked in, could not have been more helpful or accomodating. I arrived early and he assigned me Room 415 on the top floor. The elevator was not working, so I lugged my suitcase up the narrow stairs and Raj was very apologetic. Room 415 is a regular room, not a suite, but I think it was one of the larger rooms (based on the emergency exit floorplan layout on the door).

The photos on the Hotel website accurately portrayed my assigned room, sans the vase of flowers. Bed was comfortable. Lighting was a bit dim, but OK for me, perhaps not for others. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only to attend another Oakland conference and when traveling solo (rooms are compact and OK for one, but not for two).

Room Tip: Room 415 is slightly roomier and quiet away from the street
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Shingle Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here again this President's weekend. I do believe some reviews are unusually harsh. The rooms are tiny - could not last a week but for a night or two it's ok. I Really enjoy how close it is to the convention center - way closer than if you stayed at the Marriott. Our room was clean, but some items are showing it's wear. Check in was easy and the front desk was personnel was very nice. It is close to Bart and Jack London Square.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Quincy, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had been to The Celebrator Magazines Micro-Brew party at the convention center a few years ago having stayed at the Marriots connected to it. From our room we could look across the street and see this old hotel. So this trip to the event we booked the Washington Inn Hotel. It was built in 1913 as a saloon, then a bank, then the hotel. The elevator must be original, I think it's the oldest I have ever been in and we really enjoyed the old cage going up and down, you can see all the workings overhead. The room was very nice, still some old charm as well as upgrades. I made the reservation, then read the reviews, our experience was all pleasant and we would definately stay here again. The only downfall was the breakfast, minimal, no fruit, no tables, just chairs and ottomans to put your plate on. This place is also directly next door to Pacific Coast Brewing.

Room Tip: We had a corner room, two windows were nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
California Hot Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Yikes I spent a decent amount of money for a place not even suitable for hobo's. We made reservations there for a party we were hosting there, and I mean the service, staff and other accomedations were just terrible. I would not recommened staying at this hotel if it was free. My bed had over 15 hairs all in the sheets, the walls were tainted in black marks, and the smell was horrffic It tiook over an hour to have the sheets changed, I was told the day of our reserved party and booking of entire place there was no maid really, when you know your going to be busy. I understand it is an older place but come on. It was filthy, my family memeber went to the free breakfast and received a dirty plastic sup with two different shades of lipstick. There isplenty more to be said I have nightmares now.STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Washington Inn is an older, but well maintained property. The location is outstanding, right across the street from the Oakland Convention Center and a block from the 12th Street Oakland BART Station. In addition, there is a free shuttle bus on Broadway, a block away, that can take you to Jack London Square and the SF ferry. The hotel is on the edge of the Old Oakland District, which has a number of decent restaurants. I stayed for 5 days, my third visit. I agree that the rooms are small, but not tiny. One odd thing is that my room had a step between the bathroom door and the sleeping area. The sink was in the sleeping area, which would not be an issue for most people. I had no problems with cleanliness, towels, maintenance, wi-fi, odors, etc. However, I do agree that with some TLC, this could be a really good hotel. The front desk staff varied from very helpful to somewhat dour. When I checked into my room, I found it had only four hangers. I called the desk and the desk clerk brought up more hangers within 5 minutes - very good! I agree that the breakfast is very paltry. From a previous stay, I do agree that parking is unhandy. However, with so much public transportation available, a car is not a necessity. I would stay here again, because the rate was exceptionally reasonable for the Bay Area and the hotel was OK. Incidentally, I used BART for the first time to travel from SFO to the hotel. Great ride - 25 minutes and $8.50. And with the station elevator just a block from the hotel, quite convenient as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!