“Still a fair value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 48 hotels in Oakland
Shingle Springs, California
“Still a fair value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here again this President's weekend. I do believe some reviews are unusually harsh. The rooms are tiny - could not last a week but for a night or two it's ok. I Really enjoy how close it is to the convention center - way closer than if you stayed at the Marriott. Our room was clean, but some items are showing it's wear. Check in was easy and the front desk was personnel was very nice. It is close to Bart and Jack London Square.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Quincy, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had been to The Celebrator Magazines Micro-Brew party at the convention center a few years ago having stayed at the Marriots connected to it. From our room we could look across the street and see this old hotel. So this trip to the event we booked the Washington Inn Hotel. It was built in 1913 as a saloon, then a bank, then the hotel. The elevator must be original, I think it's the oldest I have ever been in and we really enjoyed the old cage going up and down, you can see all the workings overhead. The room was very nice, still some old charm as well as upgrades. I made the reservation, then read the reviews, our experience was all pleasant and we would definately stay here again. The only downfall was the breakfast, minimal, no fruit, no tables, just chairs and ottomans to put your plate on. This place is also directly next door to Pacific Coast Brewing.

Room Tip: We had a corner room, two windows were nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
California Hot Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Yikes I spent a decent amount of money for a place not even suitable for hobo's. We made reservations there for a party we were hosting there, and I mean the service, staff and other accomedations were just terrible. I would not recommened staying at this hotel if it was free. My bed had over 15 hairs all in the sheets, the walls were tainted in black marks, and the smell was horrffic It tiook over an hour to have the sheets changed, I was told the day of our reserved party and booking of entire place there was no maid really, when you know your going to be busy. I understand it is an older place but come on. It was filthy, my family memeber went to the free breakfast and received a dirty plastic sup with two different shades of lipstick. There isplenty more to be said I have nightmares now.STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Washington Inn is an older, but well maintained property. The location is outstanding, right across the street from the Oakland Convention Center and a block from the 12th Street Oakland BART Station. In addition, there is a free shuttle bus on Broadway, a block away, that can take you to Jack London Square and the SF ferry. The hotel is on the edge of the Old Oakland District, which has a number of decent restaurants. I stayed for 5 days, my third visit. I agree that the rooms are small, but not tiny. One odd thing is that my room had a step between the bathroom door and the sleeping area. The sink was in the sleeping area, which would not be an issue for most people. I had no problems with cleanliness, towels, maintenance, wi-fi, odors, etc. However, I do agree that with some TLC, this could be a really good hotel. The front desk staff varied from very helpful to somewhat dour. When I checked into my room, I found it had only four hangers. I called the desk and the desk clerk brought up more hangers within 5 minutes - very good! I agree that the breakfast is very paltry. From a previous stay, I do agree that parking is unhandy. However, with so much public transportation available, a car is not a necessity. I would stay here again, because the rate was exceptionally reasonable for the Bay Area and the hotel was OK. Incidentally, I used BART for the first time to travel from SFO to the hotel. Great ride - 25 minutes and $8.50. And with the station elevator just a block from the hotel, quite convenient as well.

Riverside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had realistic expectations that this was an older hotel, but I was extremely disappointed and had I had more than a one night stay, would have checked out. The toilet was leaking and when I called about it, because there's no maintenance person available in the evening their intructions were to turn off the water. The "white" washcloths and towels were stained, the white comforter was stained, the padded board behind the bed was stained, and the walls were very scuffed up and dirty. The women's restroom available for those attending meetings was not clean, and at least one toilet was backed up. There was also an odd odor in the lobby area. I would never stay here again, have already told colleagues of mine who travel to Oakland to avoid it, and really regret making the choice to reserve a room here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Washington Inn, Oakland, CA: I stayed here for a week while on business. Very affordable and convenient to convention center and downtown; waterfront/Jack London Square area/Amtrak is an easy 10-block walk. The general area is OK; some of it very nice, some not so much, but I did feel fine walking around, day or night. Clearly Oakland is undergoing a revitalization effort; some areas faster than others.

Overall, the hotel is of another era; clean and comfortable, quaint (if you wish). But it's definitely lacking in some key 21st century areas. As a general observation, it could use a date with some spackle and a fresh coat of paint. Not in desperate need, but it would help.

The room I had was painfully small. A comfortable queen bed, a small but adequate work table/desk, a small wardrobe/TV cabinet. Not much room for anything else, including me. Two people would have been stepping on each other. 10-foot ceilings add to the illusion of spaciousness, but that's all.

The hotel features free wi-fi, but I was unable to get it to work in my room (on either PC or phone); I was able to get the phone connected in the lobby & restaurant. Not being able to connect from my room was a problem. Also...business travelers: bring a power-strip of some sort. Outlets are few, far between and used.

Lighting options in the room are limited. Overhead hanging room light, small reading-style light on the desk or the 2 sconce-style lights by the sink. Sinks are in the bedrooms. Not a major problem for one person. Lighting is OK for shaving; women may find it insufficient for make-up. Counter space at the sink is small. There is a hair dryer (though I didn't use it). There was an in-room coffee maker and my room had a small refrigerator.

The bathroom was fine (large by comparison to the room, but then again it didn't have a sink in it!), clean and modern (at least modern enough). The shower had good pressure and hot water. The shower head is fairly low on the wall (maybe @ 5'6" or so). Some reviewers complained of thin and/or poor towels; mine were fine.

I did not partake of the free continental breakfast. It looked pretty basic: pastries, cereal, toast, some fruit, juice, coffee. I did eat dinner in the restaurant (Seisons). The food is good, ample portions and affordable. The tomato-basil soup is a must-have!

There are a number of restaurants, shops, etc. all around and within easy walking distance. The convention center is directly across the street. There's a grocery store right next door which is convenient if your hotel room has a refrigerator.

Overall the staff was very good; the bar and restaurant wait-staff were excellent. Would I stay there again? The wi-fi problem was a show-stopper; it did make doing any work from the room difficult. Assuming that problem is rectified, I'd probably stay there again; I would want a slightly bigger room though.

Room Tip: If you're on the 2nd floor, you don't have to wait for the elevator; it's an easy walk...
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm a road warrior who prefers to rave about great experiences...sorry, nothing here to rave about so this is a rant. Arrived after 10 pm (1 AM from where I began my day). Walked in and here were my first impressions. WOW, this room is small. Gee, the mirror is crooked...as is the first picture I see, and the other picture in the room. The walls are filthy with scraps and scratches. The towels are tattered and worn. The shower is NASTY, will put the shower mat in the shower because I will not let my feet touch that tile and I am NOT a clean freak.

By the way, forget about conveniently located power supplies for your electronics, there are not in this place.

Then I get ready to hit the sack and notice the pillows are all firm foam pillows. Call to request a feather pillow and...wait for it, of course they don't have any.

I contacted my travel planner and filed my complaints. I remember the Holiday Inn theme from years back, No Surprises. Well, I was surprised at The Washington Inn and none of them were pleasant surprises.

Do yourself a favor, avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!