“Different, Economical, OK for One” 3 of 5 stars

The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
“Different, Economical, OK for One”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Washington Inn, Oakland, CA: I stayed here for a week while on business. Very affordable and convenient to convention center and downtown; waterfront/Jack London Square area/Amtrak is an easy 10-block walk. The general area is OK; some of it very nice, some not so much, but I did feel fine walking around, day or night. Clearly Oakland is undergoing a revitalization effort; some areas faster than others.

Overall, the hotel is of another era; clean and comfortable, quaint (if you wish). But it's definitely lacking in some key 21st century areas. As a general observation, it could use a date with some spackle and a fresh coat of paint. Not in desperate need, but it would help.

The room I had was painfully small. A comfortable queen bed, a small but adequate work table/desk, a small wardrobe/TV cabinet. Not much room for anything else, including me. Two people would have been stepping on each other. 10-foot ceilings add to the illusion of spaciousness, but that's all.

The hotel features free wi-fi, but I was unable to get it to work in my room (on either PC or phone); I was able to get the phone connected in the lobby & restaurant. Not being able to connect from my room was a problem. Also...business travelers: bring a power-strip of some sort. Outlets are few, far between and used.

Lighting options in the room are limited. Overhead hanging room light, small reading-style light on the desk or the 2 sconce-style lights by the sink. Sinks are in the bedrooms. Not a major problem for one person. Lighting is OK for shaving; women may find it insufficient for make-up. Counter space at the sink is small. There is a hair dryer (though I didn't use it). There was an in-room coffee maker and my room had a small refrigerator.

The bathroom was fine (large by comparison to the room, but then again it didn't have a sink in it!), clean and modern (at least modern enough). The shower had good pressure and hot water. The shower head is fairly low on the wall (maybe @ 5'6" or so). Some reviewers complained of thin and/or poor towels; mine were fine.

I did not partake of the free continental breakfast. It looked pretty basic: pastries, cereal, toast, some fruit, juice, coffee. I did eat dinner in the restaurant (Seisons). The food is good, ample portions and affordable. The tomato-basil soup is a must-have!

There are a number of restaurants, shops, etc. all around and within easy walking distance. The convention center is directly across the street. There's a grocery store right next door which is convenient if your hotel room has a refrigerator.

Overall the staff was very good; the bar and restaurant wait-staff were excellent. Would I stay there again? The wi-fi problem was a show-stopper; it did make doing any work from the room difficult. Assuming that problem is rectified, I'd probably stay there again; I would want a slightly bigger room though.

Room Tip: If you're on the 2nd floor, you don't have to wait for the elevator; it's an easy walk...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm a road warrior who prefers to rave about great experiences...sorry, nothing here to rave about so this is a rant. Arrived after 10 pm (1 AM from where I began my day). Walked in and here were my first impressions. WOW, this room is small. Gee, the mirror is crooked...as is the first picture I see, and the other picture in the room. The walls are filthy with scraps and scratches. The towels are tattered and worn. The shower is NASTY, will put the shower mat in the shower because I will not let my feet touch that tile and I am NOT a clean freak.

By the way, forget about conveniently located power supplies for your electronics, there are not in this place.

Then I get ready to hit the sack and notice the pillows are all firm foam pillows. Call to request a feather pillow and...wait for it, of course they don't have any.

I contacted my travel planner and filed my complaints. I remember the Holiday Inn theme from years back, No Surprises. Well, I was surprised at The Washington Inn and none of them were pleasant surprises.

Do yourself a favor, avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Corona, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel by far has been the worst in my 35 years of worldly travel.. The shower was riddled with fungus. The tolet was some what clean, but after looking at the shower I was abraded to sit on it. Because I was unfamiliar with the area I was forced to stay the night. I woke the next morning to pack an found clothing that did not belong to me between the top sheet and the bottom sheet. Then I looked on the floor and found a ladies pony tail wrap, but I had been alone all night.

It is clean that they are not cleaning the room. You have been warned.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This place has a lot of character but probably wouldn't suit everyone. It's old, but the rooms work well as suites, and the breakfast is basic but plentiful .The location is close to the airport, and they will make spa appointments for you at a club around the corner. It's nice for a change from the basic sterile hotel environment.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
fargo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel doesn't look anything like you see in the picture. Not a clean hotel, No internet,No Towels in the room, and breakfast? They can eat that. As you can see i am not a complainer but I will pich a tent before I will ever stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I almost feel bad writing the review because I think the staff was nice enough and it's clear that none of them have it in their means to correct the shortcomings. The service was fine, and in the right hands this quaint spot could really be cool. Unfortunately, as soon as you enter there's a musty smell that fills the air. The elevator is so old and beaten that we only took it once in either direction. The rooms are small, very European, which would be fine, but the beds are deplorable, and I actually considered NOT showering because the tile was more mildew than grout. The shower head didn't work, the toilet didn't flush properly, the mildew around the windows and shower were unbelievable. It COULD be charming, but someone needs to bring in an operator, put some money into the beds and finish work, and make an experience out of a hostel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Washington Inn was clean and friendly and affordable. It was in the middle between Oakland city Center and delicious local restaurants. The rooms were updated but tight. Comfortable bed! Also, the hotel was in easy walking distance to the BART rail and to Oakland's Chinatown, and the main street, Broadway. WE had easy access to a pharmacy, grocery store, banks and shopping. The best is we could easily walk to the waterfront and enjoy all that had to offer. The historic feel of the hotel was its charm. The free breakfast was not very good and we opted to eat breakfast out. However, if all you need is a cup of coffee and a danish, you will be fine. If you have trouble taking stairs, this is NOT the hotel for you. the elevator is very tight and the stairs are steep. We like taking stairs so it was not a problem for us.

Room Tip: the corner rooms facing 10th St and Broadway are too noisy. Also, I recommend using the stairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!