“Charming, Clean and Customer Friendly Hotel very close to Oakland City Center” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Washington Inn

You added The Washington Inn to your Saves list
The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Dallas, Texas
“Charming, Clean and Customer Friendly Hotel very close to Oakland City Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Washington Inn was clean and friendly and affordable. It was in the middle between Oakland city Center and delicious local restaurants. The rooms were updated but tight. Comfortable bed! Also, the hotel was in easy walking distance to the BART rail and to Oakland's Chinatown, and the main street, Broadway. WE had easy access to a pharmacy, grocery store, banks and shopping. The best is we could easily walk to the waterfront and enjoy all that had to offer. The historic feel of the hotel was its charm. The free breakfast was not very good and we opted to eat breakfast out. However, if all you need is a cup of coffee and a danish, you will be fine. If you have trouble taking stairs, this is NOT the hotel for you. the elevator is very tight and the stairs are steep. We like taking stairs so it was not a problem for us.

Room Tip: the corner rooms facing 10th St and Broadway are too noisy. Also, I recommend using the stairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We recently stayed for 5 nights and whilst the hotel seems to live on delegates to the Conference Centre who cannot or do not wish to afford the Marriot's rates across the road it is a less than civilised place to stay. Raj and his staff need to awaken themselves to the needs of international guests. Key points to improve are
Breakfast - currently taken on your knees in the foyer when there is a restaurant space which could be opened to allow for a civilised breakfast experience.
Lift - whilst quaint it desperately needs a new floor covering - it is grubby.
Room safes - after some searching questions it was admitted that these had been out of operation for 3 + weeks. No hotel safe was offered - wholly unacceptable situation
Telephones - staff did not know whether international calls could be made from room phones or how to do that if they could. CRAZY position even in parochial USA.
The Indian owners need to put some modest investment into the hotel which once improved could have a higher room rate to pay for the investment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

When I'm in the East Bay, I frequently find myself at the Washington Inn. It's very convenient to BART, convention center, bars and restaurants in downtown Oakland. The staff is very friendly and helpful, The hotel is clean, comfortable and you can't beat the price. I've stayed here several times and have always had a good experience. The staff will print out your boarding passes for you and give you tips on parking. Nice hotel bar in the lobby. Fairly quiet for an urban setting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel while we were in Oakland for a short weekend visit in June 2012. We needed something that was relatively close to the airport, but still within the city.

We booked through Expedia and reserved a Deluxe room with two double beds. When we checked in, the front desk said the room we reserved was not available, and gave us two Standard Queen rooms instead. I was a little annoyed with this, as we were traveling with our children, and this meant they would be sleeping in a different room than us (in this case, across the hall, and not connected to our room). I'm not sure if this was an error on Washington Inn's part, or Expedia's part, though, so I can't fully blame the hotel for this mix-up. Also, we were able to get the room we wanted the second night of our stay..

Aside from the room mix-up, I was mostly satisfied with our stay. The rooms were clean and well-kept. The decor was classy, with somewhat of a historic feel. The beds were very comfortable, and although there was an event going on in the banquet room downstairs, we did not hear the noise once we got to our room. We did not hear much street noise except in the morning the next day when there was some kind of conference going on at the Marriott across the street.

Breakfast was included with our stay, but it was the standard Continental breakfast options such as cereal, bagels, danishes, muffins, and orange juice. I liked that the location is just fifteen minutes away from the Oakland airport. Also, the room prices fell right within our budget for the trip. However, parking is not included, so we had to pay for parking on the street.

I would say for the price we paid for our room, we had an average experience overall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I chose to stay here and save money. My parents stayed at the Marriott which is right next door. No problems at all. Cozy and Friendly. People complaining about outside noise that can happen at any place. I was on the 2nd floor and had no problems. Actually haven't slept that well in awhile. The hotel can't control outside noise you will have that everywhere. Breakfast was good had a good variety. This place fills up fast so book ahead.

Room Tip: Book ahead this place fills up fast becuase it is small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The staff at this quaint hotel, in downtown Oakland, were pleasant and helpful. The room was OK, and the breakfast was adequate. But I have to recommend against staying here because of its location right across from the convention center. The night we stayed there, we were awakened by what sounded like mob action out in the street in the wee hours. It turned out to be a massive party in the convention center that had spilled out into the street. At some point after that, I heard what sounded like gunfire and then a siren. If you're going to stay at the Washington Inn, check to make sure there's nothing going on in the convention center first. It's a pity, because the hotel rates and other aspects of the location are pluses.

Room Tip: Stay on the other side of the hotel from the convention center.
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is very affordable. I was surprised about how affordable it was. It's decent looking. It's not dirty. It's in a good location if you MUST be in downtown Oakland. It has some amenities that much pricier hotels do not offer-such as shower caps. But the night I stayed (which is the same night the last two reviewers stayed) was OMG noisy. Here's the funny part. I didn't even hear that party in the lobby. I got back to the hotel at almost 1am, and did not hear that party at all. Even though I was only on the 2nd floor. But I was facing the back of the hotel, so I heard a LOT of other stuff. There are clubs on that side. And the clubs had a lot of people outside chatting until who knows what time. But that's not all. There was the screaming. The blood curdling screaming that went on for at least a half hour. Murder? Torture? who knows. Then there were the car alarms. Two separate occasions with long running car alarms. I need to point out that this hotel is right down town amid some tallish stone buildings. So it's like an echo chamber. Every word, every sound is magnified. There isn't a hum of car noise to drown it out. It's a pretty vacant downtown at night except for the clubs and the parking garages at the convention center across the street with the car alarms. But there was *one* person out driving around last Saturday night. Someone on a Harley, who quite obviously LOVED the sound of his loud loud loud bike as he blew through the canyons of buildings. Over and over and over for a couple hours. Just when you thought he was driving out of town, you'd hear him circle back again. That went on till 4 am. Then the noise finally stopped. So I thought I'd sleep late to catch up on the sleep I lost. But NO. At 9 am, and with no warning, LOUD rap music started blasting right outside the window. There was some sort of street baseball game being played and they felt they needed some loud music to go with it. LOUD LOUD music. So I may have gotten 5 hours sleep. I like my sleep. Five hours is not enough. I would hesitate staying anywhere in downtown Oakland on a weekend if I planned to do any sleeping. None of that is the hotel's fault, but I'd avoid it on a weekend just the same. It might be fine during the week. You'll have to see other people's reviews for that information.
Regarding the hotel itself: It's basic. Not bad. The sink is in the bedroom instead of the bathroom as you will see in the pictures. The bed is pretty comfortable. The room had two windows in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. It had up to date decor. There was a mini fridge and a coffee maker. The toiletries were ok. Where the budgeting came in was with the towels. The towels were thin and rough and you only got one undersized towel per person. The kleenex was low end as well. It was ok for the price, really.
I'll never know what the complimentary breakfast was like because it was only served between 7-9 am. Those were the only quiet hours there were, so I imagine no one made it to breakfast. They were all getting their two hours sleep. Those are early breakfast hours for a Sunday. Most places, if not all places serve breakfast until at least 10:00 on weekends.
I read in another person's review that their room was prepaid, and yet they found another two charges on their credit card for $100 each. Me too. I have the full charge for the hotel that I paid a month ago. Then two more charges for $100 appeared. One has since disappeared and one still says pending. I'm going to give it a couple days before I call the credit card company.
Parking: It's $25.00 at the convention center unless you get one of the first come first served passes from the hotel for $15.00. You might want to remind them that they offer that service, because they didn't remember on their own.
Well good luck to you with your stay in Oakland. May you get some sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple