“Average stay, convenient to the airport” 3 of 5 stars

The Washington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Seattle, WA
“Average stay, convenient to the airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel while we were in Oakland for a short weekend visit in June 2012. We needed something that was relatively close to the airport, but still within the city.

We booked through Expedia and reserved a Deluxe room with two double beds. When we checked in, the front desk said the room we reserved was not available, and gave us two Standard Queen rooms instead. I was a little annoyed with this, as we were traveling with our children, and this meant they would be sleeping in a different room than us (in this case, across the hall, and not connected to our room). I'm not sure if this was an error on Washington Inn's part, or Expedia's part, though, so I can't fully blame the hotel for this mix-up. Also, we were able to get the room we wanted the second night of our stay..

Aside from the room mix-up, I was mostly satisfied with our stay. The rooms were clean and well-kept. The decor was classy, with somewhat of a historic feel. The beds were very comfortable, and although there was an event going on in the banquet room downstairs, we did not hear the noise once we got to our room. We did not hear much street noise except in the morning the next day when there was some kind of conference going on at the Marriott across the street.

Breakfast was included with our stay, but it was the standard Continental breakfast options such as cereal, bagels, danishes, muffins, and orange juice. I liked that the location is just fifteen minutes away from the Oakland airport. Also, the room prices fell right within our budget for the trip. However, parking is not included, so we had to pay for parking on the street.

I would say for the price we paid for our room, we had an average experience overall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I chose to stay here and save money. My parents stayed at the Marriott which is right next door. No problems at all. Cozy and Friendly. People complaining about outside noise that can happen at any place. I was on the 2nd floor and had no problems. Actually haven't slept that well in awhile. The hotel can't control outside noise you will have that everywhere. Breakfast was good had a good variety. This place fills up fast so book ahead.

Room Tip: Book ahead this place fills up fast becuase it is small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The staff at this quaint hotel, in downtown Oakland, were pleasant and helpful. The room was OK, and the breakfast was adequate. But I have to recommend against staying here because of its location right across from the convention center. The night we stayed there, we were awakened by what sounded like mob action out in the street in the wee hours. It turned out to be a massive party in the convention center that had spilled out into the street. At some point after that, I heard what sounded like gunfire and then a siren. If you're going to stay at the Washington Inn, check to make sure there's nothing going on in the convention center first. It's a pity, because the hotel rates and other aspects of the location are pluses.

Room Tip: Stay on the other side of the hotel from the convention center.
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is very affordable. I was surprised about how affordable it was. It's decent looking. It's not dirty. It's in a good location if you MUST be in downtown Oakland. It has some amenities that much pricier hotels do not offer-such as shower caps. But the night I stayed (which is the same night the last two reviewers stayed) was OMG noisy. Here's the funny part. I didn't even hear that party in the lobby. I got back to the hotel at almost 1am, and did not hear that party at all. Even though I was only on the 2nd floor. But I was facing the back of the hotel, so I heard a LOT of other stuff. There are clubs on that side. And the clubs had a lot of people outside chatting until who knows what time. But that's not all. There was the screaming. The blood curdling screaming that went on for at least a half hour. Murder? Torture? who knows. Then there were the car alarms. Two separate occasions with long running car alarms. I need to point out that this hotel is right down town amid some tallish stone buildings. So it's like an echo chamber. Every word, every sound is magnified. There isn't a hum of car noise to drown it out. It's a pretty vacant downtown at night except for the clubs and the parking garages at the convention center across the street with the car alarms. But there was *one* person out driving around last Saturday night. Someone on a Harley, who quite obviously LOVED the sound of his loud loud loud bike as he blew through the canyons of buildings. Over and over and over for a couple hours. Just when you thought he was driving out of town, you'd hear him circle back again. That went on till 4 am. Then the noise finally stopped. So I thought I'd sleep late to catch up on the sleep I lost. But NO. At 9 am, and with no warning, LOUD rap music started blasting right outside the window. There was some sort of street baseball game being played and they felt they needed some loud music to go with it. LOUD LOUD music. So I may have gotten 5 hours sleep. I like my sleep. Five hours is not enough. I would hesitate staying anywhere in downtown Oakland on a weekend if I planned to do any sleeping. None of that is the hotel's fault, but I'd avoid it on a weekend just the same. It might be fine during the week. You'll have to see other people's reviews for that information.
Regarding the hotel itself: It's basic. Not bad. The sink is in the bedroom instead of the bathroom as you will see in the pictures. The bed is pretty comfortable. The room had two windows in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. It had up to date decor. There was a mini fridge and a coffee maker. The toiletries were ok. Where the budgeting came in was with the towels. The towels were thin and rough and you only got one undersized towel per person. The kleenex was low end as well. It was ok for the price, really.
I'll never know what the complimentary breakfast was like because it was only served between 7-9 am. Those were the only quiet hours there were, so I imagine no one made it to breakfast. They were all getting their two hours sleep. Those are early breakfast hours for a Sunday. Most places, if not all places serve breakfast until at least 10:00 on weekends.
I read in another person's review that their room was prepaid, and yet they found another two charges on their credit card for $100 each. Me too. I have the full charge for the hotel that I paid a month ago. Then two more charges for $100 appeared. One has since disappeared and one still says pending. I'm going to give it a couple days before I call the credit card company.
Parking: It's $25.00 at the convention center unless you get one of the first come first served passes from the hotel for $15.00. You might want to remind them that they offer that service, because they didn't remember on their own.
Well good luck to you with your stay in Oakland. May you get some sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the Washington Inn on a Saturday night. When we showed up at 3PM to check-in, there were a couple of folks decorating the lobby for a high school reunion. I braced myself for what might become an annoyingly loud party. When I walked up to the desk, the clerk was on the phone with what seems to be a customer-related call, but he didn't even bother to look up at me to signal that he acknowledges my presence. I proceeded to wait 5 minutes, and when he finally got off the phone he still barely glanced at me. I had to thrust my ID at him to get his attention. By then, I should have just turned around and left, but I'd already paid for the room so we were stuck. Speaking of which, I just checked my credit card account and there seems to be an additional $100 charge on my card from the Inn. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

We returned to the hotel at around 11PM to find that the party was still raging on on the ground level. Our room was on the third floor. When we got to the room, we heard and felt the thumping music. This continued until 2AM. A call to the front desk at around 1AM to report a man outside of our room screaming obscenities and threats yielded no response.

The following morning, when I complained about the party to the front desk staff, the smirk that I got from the clerk made me want to reach over the counter and slap it right off his face.

This place is horrible, and staff the most unprofessional I have ever met. I will NEVER stay at this place again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Sammi T
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a great location if you want to be in downtown Oakland. Chinatown is 2 blocks away, the Marriot convention center is across the street, with great restaurants from cheap to pricey within walking distance. The hotel is economical: bed comfort is ok, linens are clean, wifi is free, service is there. This is not a fancy place. It gets a bit stuffy on really warm days if you are in an inside room. The staff is friendly if not always on top of things, and quick to fix any problems. The continental breakfast is ok if you don't mind processed food (cereal, white toast, and packaged pastries but no fruit or whole grains here). The elevator is charmingly quaint, but so slow that it encourages you to take a flight of stairs or two. I would definitely stay here again for a conference.

Room Tip: If you are one or two people sharing a bed, get an outside view room for air circulation.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Our stay was a Saturday night. There was a big, crowded party in the lobby with deafening techno music. We asked for a quiet room and the guy at front desk gave us a second floor room, whose floor was shaking. There was a stair immediately next to the door from inside and I almost fell to the ground when I first stepped into the room. We asked to switch room, and was sent to a third floor one and we could still feel the floor vibrating and hear the heavy beats of the music. We were told that's the quietest room we could get "because you arrived late." That's ridiculous. Our hotel room floor was shaking not because we arrived late, but because you guys took money to turn the lobby into a mad house, completely ignoring the benefits of the other hotel guests. When I asked when the music would stop, the guys simply said "2am" with a blank face. During the entire encounter with the front desk staff, I didn't heard a single "sorry" about the loud music. That's the worst experience I've had with a hotel stay and we will NEVER consider staying there again.

Other aspects: Elevator smells terrible and looks antique and seems to be ready to break down any moment. The room itself is in ok condition, though definitely not kept up well. Linens are clean though. The room smelled badly when we first entered (the AC was off. ) . There was no parking for guests. We had to first park on the parking lot for Smart & Final, which was full of waste papers, plastic bags and other, to the left side of the hotel, and then moved to street parking before 8am so that it wouldn't be towed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family