“Plesant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Plesant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

My wife and I had a very nice experience at the Washington Inn.
The Front Desk staff were nice, very helpful and friendly during our stay. Our room was clean and spacious. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the Oakland Convention Center, next door to a market, very close to Chinatown and a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station and on Friday there was also a farmer's market on the side street. The room rate was excellent and included a daily continental breakfast!
We will definitely return to the Washington Inn when visiting Oakland again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This hotel is in a convenient location close to the 12th St-Oakland City Center BART station, Old Oakland, Downtown, Chinatown, and the Jack London District. It is in an older building, so it looks more run-down than the newer chain hotels. The rooms are small (think New York City) and not immaculately clean (our comforters had stains). The sink was outside of the bathroom and in the main room, which made it awkward if someone had to use it while the other person was sleeping. Most of the TV's channels did not come through. The in-room safebox was non-functioning. It was nice, though, that they offered a complimentary continental breakfast and the free wifi was fast. This was a no-frills hotel that served its purpose: a decent place to sleep, not to hang out.

Room Tip: If you want a mini-fridge, ask for a room that has one because some have them, some don't (the f...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
sacramento, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed here for the San Francisco Salsa Congress (right next door at the Oakland Convention Center). Great location and clean. Staff friendly. Breakfast in the morning is fair. Nothing special, but gets some food in your stomach. The computer in the lobby is free, but the wireless internet is way too slow. It needs an update. Another dropback is the cable reception. There's HBO, but the channels come in very "snowy."

Otherwise, a good clean, place to stay in the heart of downtown Oakland.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I read many reviews before settling on the Washington Inn. I decided that I would probably love if for some of the very reasons others didn't care for it. The price was excellent, the location was perfect for me to walk to a concert at the Fox theatre, and the hotel is one and a half blocks to a BART station. My first night I arrived close to midnight, they were full and had upgraded me to a king suite thank you very much. I asked where I could get a drink and he reached around the bar and grabbed me a bottle of pinot noir and took me up to my room. (Yes the swipe machine was broken.) I was pleased with my suite. I opened the windows and slept in the breeze. .the streets were empty. in the morning the street was shut down for a farmers market which was very pleasant. Bed was great, WiFi worked well. The staff was charming; I wouldn't hessitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: windows open so ask for a room above the second floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Upon check-in, I was informed that the key coder machine was broken. Therefore, I would not get a key at all during my three-day stay. Instead, any time I wanted in my room, I had to come find someone at the front desk who would escort me to my room and open the door for me. Of course, this was true for everyone in the hotel. Needless to say, sometimes it took a half-hour before I could get into my room. We had a meeting at the hotel, and when it broke for the evening, dozens of people would wait in line for an escort to their room. There were two (very polite) gentlemen available for escorting us. However, one of them was also the sole attendent for the desk, the other worked the bar, the restaurant, and room service, in addition to his duties as room escort. The rooms were tiny, like a jail cell. The vanity sink was near the bed--not in the bathroom. WiFi was free but often not working. The air conditioning also was broken. So was the only computer in the lobby. I was unable to get my boarding pass. I watched bums from my window, one after the one, dive into a dumpster behind the adjacent grocery store, looking for food. There is no shortage of bums in downtown Oakland. The bums were harmless if not stinky. I did not feel safe, however, in this town, as it is crawling with gangs. During our meeting we could hardly hear our speakers over all of the loud activity on the streets just outside the hotel. I will not return to Oakland anytime soon, and if I have to, I certainly would not stay at the Washington Inn. There is a Marriott across the street. Perhaps that one is better. I'd bet they have room keys.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a refurbished hotel, from a long-ago era, which makes it very quaint and welcoming! Like stepping back to the 20s or 30s! I've stayed in both a King suite or a standard Queen, and I slept comfortably in both. The rate was very nice and affordable, given the hotel rates nearby.

My most recent stay of this week (Queen Standard) proved the room nice and comfortable, with great air conditioning, lighting, etc. Wireless internet was quick and easy, as well. However, the television offered few channels, most mislabled, and a remote that required severe pressure to operate effectively. No CNN Headline news, so this may preclude me from staying again. The restaurant was closed the evening of my check-in, which was disappointing as I arrived in the evening and had to make the effort to find dinner in the area. The gentleman who checked me in was extremely nice, which was a great change from my previous visit.

The previous stay, in the King suite, showed the staff to be short and too busy to help, with no restaurant service available. The room with the bed and bath were nicely done; however, the living area was poorly supplied and decorated.

A nice place to stay if you are on a business trip; especially with the BART station less than a block away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

oakland is not the safest city in the world. i stayed at the marriott across the street for 4 days for a conference but transferred to the washington in for the 3 nights in the weekend.

at first glance it looks old but it is in such good condition. the rate is good and you pay for what you get. the staff is also very very nice and helpful. IT DOESNT HAVE ANY SMELLS. i dunno, but i'm big on that and nowhere does it smell bad. the continental breakfast is ok, not the best in the world but ok.

only bad thing, they dont have parking so you have to park accross the street at the convention center.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!