“Quaint, but lacking.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 48 hotels in Oakland
Dallas, Texas
“Quaint, but lacking.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a refurbished hotel, from a long-ago era, which makes it very quaint and welcoming! Like stepping back to the 20s or 30s! I've stayed in both a King suite or a standard Queen, and I slept comfortably in both. The rate was very nice and affordable, given the hotel rates nearby.

My most recent stay of this week (Queen Standard) proved the room nice and comfortable, with great air conditioning, lighting, etc. Wireless internet was quick and easy, as well. However, the television offered few channels, most mislabled, and a remote that required severe pressure to operate effectively. No CNN Headline news, so this may preclude me from staying again. The restaurant was closed the evening of my check-in, which was disappointing as I arrived in the evening and had to make the effort to find dinner in the area. The gentleman who checked me in was extremely nice, which was a great change from my previous visit.

The previous stay, in the King suite, showed the staff to be short and too busy to help, with no restaurant service available. The room with the bed and bath were nicely done; however, the living area was poorly supplied and decorated.

A nice place to stay if you are on a business trip; especially with the BART station less than a block away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

oakland is not the safest city in the world. i stayed at the marriott across the street for 4 days for a conference but transferred to the washington in for the 3 nights in the weekend.

at first glance it looks old but it is in such good condition. the rate is good and you pay for what you get. the staff is also very very nice and helpful. IT DOESNT HAVE ANY SMELLS. i dunno, but i'm big on that and nowhere does it smell bad. the continental breakfast is ok, not the best in the world but ok.

only bad thing, they dont have parking so you have to park accross the street at the convention center.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The staff is about the best part of the experience here. They've been very helpful and I really can't say anything bad about them. Even they seem to be fed up with the malfunctioning door locks and the noise level at night.

There is a night club nearby whose patrons spill out into the street late at night and play their music very, very loudly. The past three nights the night clerk has had to call the police to break up the impromptu block party at 2:00 AM.

The rooms are not the worst I've ever stayed in, but they could be cleaner. Every time I use the phone I smell the makeup of the last guest. I'm pretty sure the last guest ignored the 'NO SMOKING' sign on the door, too. The bathroom has only a shower, no tub; the last time I stayed here (in 2002) I had a tub in the room. The toilet especially suffers from very low water pressure. The TV has very poor reception on the channels it does receive. WiFi is a plus; the connection has been reliable if slow. The room temperature is very hard to regulate.

Breakfast consists of two different kinds of cold cereal, assorted pastries (some you may recognize from your hometown 7-Eleven or Circle K!) and toast. If you need protein in the morning, look elsewhere. Happy hour on the other hand is a pretty good deal--half off all appetizers and drinks.

You are better off staying in your room at night. That's all I will say there. This is not the best neighborhood.

Advantages:
Friendly staff
Convenient location
Rooms are adequate if small

Disadvantages:
Noise level, especially at night
Unsafe neighborhood at night
Rooms could be a LOT cleaner
TV, thermostat, water pressure subpar
Bathroom lacks a bathtub
No Smoking policy not enforced

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked on-line and only had pictures to go off of and i was pleasantly surprised! Great service, room was clean and charming and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful! It has a great restaraunt too! It was close to the BART and in a great area! I would recommend to anyone! It made our trip to Oakland a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and could leave our windows open to get a great breeze!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

One of the worst experiences in traveling. I couldn't sleep because I thought there were bedbugs. I am going to ask for a full refund. The guy at front desk was new and had no help. I had made previous reservations and took me over 25 minutes to check in.

DON"T STAY HERE

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hooper, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

When we arrived, I was surprised I had to walk through the "bar" area to get to the front desk. The elevator was old, very small, and scary. When I arrived at my room, I had quite a bit of trouble with my room key. I had to swipe my key 10-15 times for it to finally release the door. At first sight, I didn't think it had a toilet or tub as I only saw the sink in the main room. This was quite odd. There actually was a separate room for the toilet and tub, but the walls were so thin in there, I could hear all conversations the people next door would have. It was noisy and I was actually wondering if they were renting rooms by the hour. I did advise the front desk of my key problem. They only advised me how to properly swipe it (which I already knew). This didn't help with unlocking my door for entry. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Atwater
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The sheets were not clean and they had holes. I asked for another room, but they claimed they were sold out (doubt it). I asked for new sheets and they brought me new sheets that still didn't seem really clean, but at least didn't have hair all over them (gross). The carpet was wet and the sink is not in the bathroom, but it is near the carpet which is the only reason I can see for the carpet to be wet. It was unusually cold in Oakland and the room was very cold. The location was the only good thing about this hotel (close to Jack London square and Paramount theater). I had trouble falling asleep and told myself at least it is better than sleeping on the streets. I hardly ever feel compelled to write a review of a hotel. This was by far one of the top 2 dirties hotels I've ever stayed in.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Washington Inn? Share your experiences!