“Homewood Suites in Oakland, CA was great experience!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Arcade, NY, United States
“Homewood Suites in Oakland, CA was great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was out first Homewood Suites experience. Value/room rates was excellent and complimentary evening reception and breakfasts were very good. Hotel staff was very helpful with suggestions on how to get around in San Francisco. Complimentary shuttle to the ferry was very convenient.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. We strive to get to know each of our guests. I will certainly share your comment with the rest of the staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Darcella Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Phoenix, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Loved it! Loved it! This was a great option. I ended up staying in Oakland because SF was completely booked due to America's Cup and a huge business conference. I was skeptical having no choice but to stay on the east side of the bay. I was completely surprised in a very pleasant manner at the friendliness of the staff, the superb cleaniness of the hotel. I'm not sure if my room was remodeled or if the hotel itself is new, but it was great.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My initial impression while driving to the hotel was a little concerning since the area is industrial but I was very pleased once I arrived. The waterfront location is great and there is a nice walking path on the bayside of the hotel. The room I had was not on the bayside (unfortunately) but it was very quiet and I never noticed any freeway noice at all. The room was very large and had a full kitchen. The bed was very comfortable with a lot of pillows. The bathroom was nice in that the shower and toilet were separated and made it easy for 2 people to get ready. I wasn't there for their evening meals but the menu I saw looked very good. The breakfast had an ample supply and a variety of choices. I would stay here again if I am in the area. I never felt anything but safe staying here and saw a security in the parking area each night.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms have great view but can be expensive
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and found this hotel to be in a great location outside of SF and worth the money since we found that most hotels within SF had upped their prices due to the Americas Cup and IT Convention. I would recommend this hotel as its clean, comfortable and has friendly reception staff. As well as a great choice of cold or hot breakfast, plus during the weekdays they provide you with an evening meal and drinks! What more can you ask for! Alternatively, there is a restaurant called Quinns just down the road. We would also recommend catching the ferry from Jack London Square. The nearby car park is free if you validate your car park ticket as you board the ferry. This is far cheaper than parking in SF car parks!

Suffolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is in a good location for the Oakland/Alameda. On a recent trip I had my motorcycle stolen from the hotel parking lot at 7 pm. I felt there was very little concern from the management other than we are sorry. When I requested the hotel shuttle take me to the airport to pick up a rental car I was told the shuttle only goes in a two mile radius of the hotel. Only when I complained to the hotel general manager the next day did I get an exception to be dropped of at the rental concession. Two years ago at the same hotel I had parts stolen of my motorcycle with the same level of concern, none. I will not travel to this hotel by motorcycle again.

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep you want a river view room. The traffic noise on the city view rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay with us. The comfort and safety of our guests is my number one concern and I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our security team. If I can assist you further, please let me know. Thank you.

Irvine, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient. There were about 5-6 people checking in at once, so someone came up to help out and get people checked-in. I waited maybe 5 minutes max.
The rooms are very roomy and include a kitchen. I was on the parking lot side of the hotel, so I heard a car alarm going off a few times throughout the night. This is not the hotels fault, so I am not downgrading the place because of the alarm. I would, however, STRONGLY encourage you to get a third floor odd numbered room on the marina (water) side of the hotel. I am sure it will be both quieter and a much nicer view.
Breakfast was nice too.
I got out to the breakfast area around 8am and it was not crowded at all. The front desk said the hotel was totally full, so I was shocked that there was so many open tables in the breakfast area.
The only downfall is the location.
It is in a very desolate part of the waterfront. Yes, Jack London square is only a few blocks away..... But wow! it is a rough few blocks. I am a 45 year old man and I would NEVER walk in that area at night, EVER! Take a look on street view.... ouch!
I did eat at the sausage and beer place just outside the hotel (on the marina). It was filled with locals and had good beers and great sausage! HIGHLY recommended!
I was in town of meetings in downtown oakland. It was not very convenient for me, but they did have a shuttle that went into town every 30 minutes, so it is not terrible. The hotel may be better for tourists with a car (free parking).

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room! they overlook the water... not the parking lot!
Pico Rivera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is a great alternative to paying the high prices and parking fees for hotels in San Francisco. The hotel was convenient, staff was friendly, great amenities. We had a bay view and were very pleased with our decision to stay here. Although the area was not the greatest, we had no problems during our stay.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, November 7, 2013

Darcella Wright

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront? Share your experiences!