“Security” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Suffolk, Virginia
“Security”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is in a good location for the Oakland/Alameda. On a recent trip I had my motorcycle stolen from the hotel parking lot at 7 pm. I felt there was very little concern from the management other than we are sorry. When I requested the hotel shuttle take me to the airport to pick up a rental car I was told the shuttle only goes in a two mile radius of the hotel. Only when I complained to the hotel general manager the next day did I get an exception to be dropped of at the rental concession. Two years ago at the same hotel I had parts stolen of my motorcycle with the same level of concern, none. I will not travel to this hotel by motorcycle again.

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep you want a river view room. The traffic noise on the city view rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay with us. The comfort and safety of our guests is my number one concern and I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our security team. If I can assist you further, please let me know. Thank you.

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Irvine, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient. There were about 5-6 people checking in at once, so someone came up to help out and get people checked-in. I waited maybe 5 minutes max.
The rooms are very roomy and include a kitchen. I was on the parking lot side of the hotel, so I heard a car alarm going off a few times throughout the night. This is not the hotels fault, so I am not downgrading the place because of the alarm. I would, however, STRONGLY encourage you to get a third floor odd numbered room on the marina (water) side of the hotel. I am sure it will be both quieter and a much nicer view.
Breakfast was nice too.
I got out to the breakfast area around 8am and it was not crowded at all. The front desk said the hotel was totally full, so I was shocked that there was so many open tables in the breakfast area.
The only downfall is the location.
It is in a very desolate part of the waterfront. Yes, Jack London square is only a few blocks away..... But wow! it is a rough few blocks. I am a 45 year old man and I would NEVER walk in that area at night, EVER! Take a look on street view.... ouch!
I did eat at the sausage and beer place just outside the hotel (on the marina). It was filled with locals and had good beers and great sausage! HIGHLY recommended!
I was in town of meetings in downtown oakland. It was not very convenient for me, but they did have a shuttle that went into town every 30 minutes, so it is not terrible. The hotel may be better for tourists with a car (free parking).

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room! they overlook the water... not the parking lot!
Pico Rivera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is a great alternative to paying the high prices and parking fees for hotels in San Francisco. The hotel was convenient, staff was friendly, great amenities. We had a bay view and were very pleased with our decision to stay here. Although the area was not the greatest, we had no problems during our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. We strive to get to know each of our guests. I will certainly share your comment with the rest of the staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at the Homewood Oakland-Waterfront in mid-August and it was a nice place. Well kept, nice landscaping, nice accommodations. It was nice to have breakfast each morning, although the food is somewhat pedestrian and a little odd sometimes (pre-cooked omelettes from frozen?). Coffee was not the best but palatable with the flavoured creamers - hey, I'm a coffee snob! Staff were great, very friendly and accommodating - answered any questions I had. The hotel is a bit out of the way, and the port lands in the area are a bit decrepit which might worry some folks, but it's perfectly ok. Great if you have a car with the free parking. The first half of my stay was in a street side room (could be noisy with the freeway but I'm a sound sleeper), and the second half was in a waterview room (very nice, much quieter).

Room Tip: Rooms on the water are much quieter with a better view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

25min from San Francisco by Bart or car, yet feel like a quiet vacation on the water. Lovely break from urban noise. The staff are helpful and kind. The waterfront is lovely...especially wonderful water fowl!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Sacramento, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I love EVERYTHING about this Homewood Suites... The staff is wonderful and very pleasant, the food is great, and the bed is extremely comfortable. I come to this Homewood about twice a week for business... It's nice to know that when I'm away from home, I'm treated like I'm home here... I wouldn't and won't chose anywhere else to say.

Farmington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here on business in early September 2013 as my typical Hilton locations were already booked up or had prices outside of my expense budget for this trip. I was pleasantly surprised with the location. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Accomodations were nice though a bit dated. Great recommendation for a dinner restaurant. :)

Darcella Wright

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront? Share your experiences!