“This hotel provides excellent value, comfort, and convenience.” 5 of 5 stars

Weekend Getaway Package
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Del Mar, California
“This hotel provides excellent value, comfort, and convenience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband, 22 year old daughter and two labradoodles stayed in this hotel for a week, in a non smoking two bedroom suite on the third (top) floor facing the water. I am very picky and uptight about cleanliness, service, comfort and convenience, and the Homewood Suites deserves A grades for all of the above. The staff were unfailingly friendly and attentive. The rooms and beds were well laid out and comfortable. The bandwidth was fine and we each had a desk. The waterfront rooms have lovely views and are the quietest hotel rooms I have ever experienced, including at much more expensive luxury hotels. And for those traveling with dogs, there is green space and a good walking path right in front along the water. The dogs loved it! Even the breakfast was good, with fresh fruit and not junk food. I have stayed in much fancier hotels, but none that provided such excellent value, especially for the Bay Area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is the best gauge by which we can measure our success and make changes where necessary and appropriate. We will certainly share your insights with the entire team and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Darcella Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. The waterside rooms are very quiet with a great view. The staff is friendly and have been very helpful. I'm on a long term project, and look forward to staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dunwoody, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The noise from the highway is terrible. It will wake you up in the middle of the night and won't let you back to sleep.
I might say the room itself was very nice, but what is it worth if you can't sleep... I'm not sure how's the other side. The only room I was ofered on the other side was a smoking one with very heavy odor. I booked for 3 nights and check-out after the first to never return again.

Room Tip: NEVER take highway sied
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Charles B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hello ami646,

I would like to thank you for your response. I value all feedback, as it truly assists me in improving our guest service. I would like to apologize for your unfortunate experience during your stay this past week. We strive very hard to provide the best guest experience possible and honor everyone's requests; unfortunately during periods of high occupancy it is very hard to honor all of our guest's requests. I would like to extend an invitation to you to visit our hotel again and allow us to make amends for your recent experience. Please contact me directly when you return to our area.

Once again, I do sincerely apologize.

Thank you and I hope to meet you in person when you return.

Charles G. Brown
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived at this hotel fairly late as we had travelled from Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight train. On arrival at the hotel we had a friendly welcome and were shown to our Waterside suite. The suite was large and very comfortable - it was impeccably clean and we had an excellent waterside view (as requested). We also liked the position of this hotel - it was within walking distance of the Lake Merrit metro and we used this to go to and from San Francisco. (We did find the ticketing confusing - being British, but we found fellow travellers very willing to help). We had a pleasant hour walk along the marina. We also walked to Jack London Square where we had an excellent lunch before catching the metro to the airport. Altogether a very good experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is the best gauge by which we can measure our success and make changes where necessary and appropriate. We are very pleased you enjoyed our convenient location near Lake Merritt metro. We will certainly share your insights with the entire team and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Director of Sales
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is my second stay here so I knew what I getting into. However my second stay didn’t go as well as the first. I tried to avoid the noisy highway side to no avail. I should have tried harder. The highway is super noisy. And it was a rare warm day the AC was not up to the challenge. I would of like to have opened the window but the noise was too much. The hotel has two buildings connected by an outdoor walk way. Also recommend avoid the second building if you can. It is the step child of the hotel. All the services are in the first building. The front desk, the gym, and the breakfast and free dinner are in the first floor of the first building. I felt like I was intruding every time walked over. Also avoid the corner rooms, they are odd shaped and lots of useable space.
My biggest gripe was that they would not honor the per dieum rate. And even though I was on orders and in uniform they charged me tax. Thus the stay cost we $40 of my own funds when it should have been covered. Oh well live an learn. I will seek out other options on my next trip.

Room Tip: avoid the expressway side!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities/service you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. Your concerns will be address with the management team. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

we stayed here 3 times always courtious good food on mornings and eve week nights for dinner beds were great shuttle was good and they picked us up and took us back from the airport will stay here again jr

Room Tip: bring your own lunch and drinks to save money
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ventura County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was my second visit to this hotel (the first was 1 year ago) and the service is still second to none. I held a meeting at the hotel during my stay and the staff took care of everything I asked for and did it with a smile.

My suite was on the water side and the view was spectacular. Last year I was on the freeway side but it still had an OK view and the noise from the freeway was barely audible as long as the window was closed.

Breakfast and dinner were very nice as was sitting out back sipping coffee and enjoying the view of the channel. The lobby and eating areas are immaculate as was my room.

The location is conveniently right off the 880 freeway and not in downtown Oakland but is only about a 4 minute drive away from Oakland.

I stay 100+ nights per year at various hotels but this one is special. I am looking forward to my next trip to the bay area.

Room Tip: Waterside is great but the freeway side is more affordable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Darcella Wright

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront? Share your experiences!