“dated hotel not near anything except the marina” 3 of 5 stars

Weekend Getaway Package
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
WashingtonDC
“dated hotel not near anything except the marina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this Homewood Suites for a weekend because of a wedding in nearby Alameda, and I would say this is just a barebones Homewood Suites like any other.

First of all, the location of this hotel is kind of random. It's directly off the highway (so in that sense, it's convenient), but it's surrounded by somewhat of an industrial park and port. The one redeeming quality about its location is the waterfront views from the budding on the left (if you're looking at the water). You're right on the marina, and it's a *great* view to wake up to. However, if you're in the "city view" rooms, you look onto a highway and there's no real point of staying at an "oceanfront" hotel... That is a big distinction, because the view was by far the best aspect to this hotel, and so if you don't have that view, there really are not many positive points to speak of.

I also got the feeling that this hotel was old and had seen better days. The room, while big, was somewhat drab. It's just a typical Homewood Suites with regard to the layout and kitchenette amenities. Maid service was hit-and-miss: one day they didn't come until we called and said we hadn't had service all day, and the next day the were aggressively knocking at 830am. The breakfast in the main lobby was fine, and had a waffle station.

The front desk seemed kind of clueless. I think some were brand new, because we had to "ask" for an upgrade, even though it's normally automatic since we're Gold with Hilton. In that sense, it's not a typical Hilton property because there wasn't that extra customer service you would get at a full-fledged Hilton or at a Hampton Inn.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend staying here over staying somewhere in downtown Oakland or else on Alameda Island. The nightly price was cheap ($99), which is what drew us here. For that price, I can't really complain. Make sure to get an "oceanfront" room, though!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hello jg325,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review for your recent stay here at the Homewood Suites Oakland Waterfront. I greatly value the feedback I receive from our guests, good and bad because it assists me on improving on the areas that are most important to our guests.

I would like to apologize for not meeting your service expecations at our Front Desk. We try to provide upgrades whenever possible but due to the volume of business that we experience, it is often hard to provide an upgrade.

I agree with you in regards to the water view being better than the city view. There is just something calming about being able to view the boats gently rocking in the water. I truely wish all of our suites could be "On the Water", but obviously it is physically impossible. We have started the process of freshening the hotel with a schedule of improvements and we are excited about these improvements.

Once again, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. If you return to the Bay Area, please contact me prior to your arrival, so I can assist in making your stay a memorable one here at Homewood Suites by Hilton - Oakland Waterfront.

Thank you.

Charles G. Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for work for a total of 10 nights. On arrival I was disappointed by the location out of San Francisco but then I didn't book it so had no say in the matter. I will however comment on the actual hotel as I am sure you can look on google maps and see where it is and make your own judgement.
The hotel itself is nice, right on the water front and if you have a room overlooking the river you won't hear the traffic at all, I left my sliding door open all night instead of air con.
The rooms are large with comfy beds and pillows and a little kitchen area that has pretty much everything you need fro a short stay.
They have a free meal from 6 till 7 in the evening which is a nice little touch if you are working. There is no bar which is a downside, but about 10 mins walk away is the lighthouse pub, which is fantastic.

Room Tip: Go riverside and you won't hear the traffic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Darcella W, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your positive feed back and taking the time to review our hotel. Thanks for including all the great details on your trip; I’m sure other travelers will find the info useful. We may not have a bar, but I hope you can experience the complimentary beer & wine we provide during dinner.We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights here with the family on our first trip to USA from Australia. This place is so clean and the staff are very helpful. The buffet breakfast excellent and loved the complimentary dinners during the week. Stayed in a suite which is actually two rooms joined together. So roomy and just the place for the two young kids. They also loved the pool. Overall an excellent stay at a very reasonable price. Great place to stay with the family.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DOS67, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I would like to thank you and your family for staying with the Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland Waterfront. Were please you enjoyed your stay. We hope your next visit to the USA is soon. Thank you again and look forward to see you next time.

Maui, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed one night at the Homewood Suites Oakland before taking an early morning flight. It is right off the highway which made it convenient. Other than that, there are much better hotels to stay at for the money. Checked in way too late to take advantage of any of the food/drink offerings. Room was dated. Air conditioning was in desperate need of maintenance. Pull out couch was not worth sleeping on. The other two beds (one king and one queen) were okay. Bathrooms were okay, nothing special.

Desk staff was pleasant but not good for directions. The gentleman manning the desk in the morning did not make logging in a priority which made for a stressful very early morning departure for the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experience at our hotel. I hope you reconsider trying us again. We have inform the front desk, that need to provide better directions of the area. We hope to see you again soon.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

rooms are a good price, clean and well presented - but the staff are less than helpful and somewhat indifferent. Be careful with their Bus Shuttle service to the Oakland Ferry - it doesn't always run, so you need to confirm with the front desk. When we did use it, the shuttle driver gave us his card to call when we returned, which we did, but he didn't turn up. Pool towels were never restocked - had to keep asking. IMPORTANT: ask for a water view - the rest of the rooms face a train line which is very noisy. Breakfast is ok - scrambled eggs, ham, waffle, cereal. All up, average hotel, with the price being the best feature.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
Newton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I and two family members came together for a week at Homewood Suites. I'd booked the suite thinking that the description and services sounded too good to be true, but we were all thrilled with the whole experience.
I asked at the front desk about an issue with the thermostat and someone came immediately to re-set it.
At dinner one evening, the hostess, Olivia, made a special salsa for me because most salsas are too hot for me to enjoy - and she did it in the middle of everything else that was going on... with a smile!
We made good use of the shuttle to and from the BART, too!
I can't wait for the opportunity to go back. No question about where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms have lovely views of the marina.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Maryann thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thanks for including all the great details on your trip; I’m sure other travelers will find the info useful. We hope to see you again soon.

Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Feliz1
Stayed at this hotel for two weeks for my job and had a great stay there. I left on a Friday and forgot the charger for my tablet....pretty crucial thing to have. I called the hotel and they courteously agreed to send it to me. What a surprise to see it arrive the very next morning at home in an overnight envelope!
Wow! This hotel really goes the extra mile and they do a great job. Lovely view, good free breakfast and dinner most days of the week. Clean, pleasant place to stay.
I strongly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the waterfront side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for staying with the Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland Waterfront. Were please you enjoyed your stay. We hope your job sends you back soon. Thank you again and look forward to see you next time.

Director of Sales

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront? Share your experiences!