“Great price, very average service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save
Ranked #3 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Canberra, Australia
“Great price, very average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

rooms are a good price, clean and well presented - but the staff are less than helpful and somewhat indifferent. Be careful with their Bus Shuttle service to the Oakland Ferry - it doesn't always run, so you need to confirm with the front desk. When we did use it, the shuttle driver gave us his card to call when we returned, which we did, but he didn't turn up. Pool towels were never restocked - had to keep asking. IMPORTANT: ask for a water view - the rest of the rooms face a train line which is very noisy. Breakfast is ok - scrambled eggs, ham, waffle, cereal. All up, average hotel, with the price being the best feature.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DOS67, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Newton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I and two family members came together for a week at Homewood Suites. I'd booked the suite thinking that the description and services sounded too good to be true, but we were all thrilled with the whole experience.
I asked at the front desk about an issue with the thermostat and someone came immediately to re-set it.
At dinner one evening, the hostess, Olivia, made a special salsa for me because most salsas are too hot for me to enjoy - and she did it in the middle of everything else that was going on... with a smile!
We made good use of the shuttle to and from the BART, too!
I can't wait for the opportunity to go back. No question about where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms have lovely views of the marina.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Maryann thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thanks for including all the great details on your trip; I’m sure other travelers will find the info useful. We hope to see you again soon.

Darcella Wright
Director of Sales
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Feliz1
Stayed at this hotel for two weeks for my job and had a great stay there. I left on a Friday and forgot the charger for my tablet....pretty crucial thing to have. I called the hotel and they courteously agreed to send it to me. What a surprise to see it arrive the very next morning at home in an overnight envelope!
Wow! This hotel really goes the extra mile and they do a great job. Lovely view, good free breakfast and dinner most days of the week. Clean, pleasant place to stay.
I strongly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the waterfront side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for staying with the Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland Waterfront. Were please you enjoyed your stay. We hope your job sends you back soon. Thank you again and look forward to see you next time.

Darcella Wright
Director of Sales
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We recently stayed at Homewood Suites Oakland and enjoyed the experience. The staff were very friendly, and made us feel right at home. Having travelled to the area for the first time from Australia, we couldn't have asked for more accommodating, polite and friendly staff who went out of their way to meet our needs. While the view of the highway wasn't the best, the location was close to the family we were visiting and transport options - plus the view from the dining room overlooking the estuary was lovely. We've already recommended it to other friends and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the estuary!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chico, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were looking into suites since we had our 17 year exchange student and wanted to him to have his own room. When we found this for the Saturday of the Giants ~ Dodgers game for $159 and tax it was a perfect deal! We loved that it was within walking distance to the Jack London Ferry that took us directly to the AT&T Stadium. We even got there very early and our room was ready.
We had the two bedroom waterfront suite and it was perfect for our newly formed little family.

Both bedrooms were large with their own bath and flatscreen TV. One with a King the other Queen bed. Perfect. Very comfortable bedding and each room their own climate control. There was a middle living room with kitchen. This would have been even more perfect for a family of more! There was a mid size fridge, dishwasher, sink and double stove top and all the cooking utensils. Also in the area was a small kitchen table, fold out couch, Flat screen TV and chair. Very comfortable. All of us were very impressed.

Breakfast the following morning was perfect for our 17 year old. Made to order!

Great price and everything you need. Free parking with security, too. On this given trip I did not try the internet so I can't address it or the pool. A certain keeper on our hotel list!!

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The thing that stands out most about this hotel is the amazing staff. Happy, polite, accommodating and they take great pride in this property.
The rooms very greatly depending on what building you are in, if you have a city view (trains and the freeway) or the water view, and what size room you have. I was here for a few days twice and was in the smaller rooms that lack a kitchen, but I was totally satisfied with what I got for these short stays.
Monday - Thursday they cook dinner for you and serve free beer and wine which is a great perk at Homewood hotels, but this one serves food that is actually pretty good!

Room Tip: Get a water view room in the main building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom water view suite. One bedroom had a queen bed and the other a king bed. My boyfriend and I slept on the king bed. The sheets were old and had spots where the fabric was worn down to the point of being sheer. These semi translucent spots were in the shape of bodily fluids having been on the sheets. I must admit I spent some time trying to determine if there was actually bodily fluids present. After determining it probably wasn't, I decided to try and sleep since it was already past midnight. I didn't sleep well since I was concerned about the sheet and I could hear water being used in other rooms. I didn't call front desk for new sheets since I felt like it would've been a hassle being so late and my boyfriend was already asleep. In the morning, there was the very loud constant sound of doors shutting. It would wake me up each time. On the plus side, there is plenty of free parking, free Wi-Fi, and great views on the water side. I also liked that there was a nearly full size fridge in our suite. This was my third stay at this property and it has gotten worse each time. I will be looking for a different place to stay the next time I'm in the Bay Area. Stayed 9.7.12

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Charles B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hello Aptenodytes,

I would like to apologize for your unfortunate experience during your most recent stay at the Homewood Suites Oakland Waterfront. I understand your concerns in regards to the bedding in your room and I can assure you it is a concern of mine. This is why I have put a program into place to review and replace any and all worn linens. Since my arrival here in Oakland, I have impressed on all of the staff to take "Pride of Ownership" in their job and the hotel. This process has helped to engage the team and I am getting everyone to take a different outlook on how they complete their job. Through this process, the staff has begun to recognize what it is like to be in the guest's shoes.

I do thank you for your response as I value every response, positive or negative. Your feed back is so valuable in assisting me with the on-going improvement of our hotel.

The next time you are in the Bay Area, I do hope you will choose to stay with us and experience all of the improvements we are working on.

Thank you.

Charles G. Brown - General Manager

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront? Share your experiences!