“Excellent hotel. Excellent service.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Boston
“Excellent hotel. Excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

I was very pleased with the Courtyard on my latest trip to Oakland. I frequently have to travel for work and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants great, friendly service, clean rooms, and a great location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Arlington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

First time in Oakland, and stayed there for two nights and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Hotel is very central located and close the BART system. Also, located in a nice area. For the price I have paid, no complain here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Plantation, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Stayed here 4 nights and encountered a few small issues. Upon arrival into my room I noticed right away that the HVAC (air conditioner) had a "dirty smell" to it. I opened up the HVAC filter door and noticed that the air filter was completely caked with dust/dirt as was the cabinet housing and vents (see photos). I notified the front desk the following morning and it was replaced (the dirty filter, dust and dirt was NOT vacuumed though) later that day with a free breakfast voucher for the in-house restaurant.

Over the course of 4 nights I contacted Guest-Tek (High-Speed Internet provider for the hotel) on 3 occasions due to very slow browsing speeds. I performed the usual power-cycle of the DSL modem under the desk, my computer, etc. to no avail. The Guest-Tek support analyst stated that the system may have too many users during the evening hours resulting in slower speeds (sounds like an eqpt. issue to me).

The housekeeping staff does a good job of keeping the room clean (I'll assume that the other rooms on the hotel are just as clean as my room (445) based upon the cleanliness of my room (expect for the HVAC issue, but that is more of a maintenance issue than a housekeeping issue). The shower/tub has a nice Speakman shower-head which converts to 2 shower spray positions. The toilet flushes nicely and the sink/shower all have great water pressure on the fourth floor. You are able to open the window about 3" to let in fresh air if you like.

The beds are a Serta "Perfect Sleeper" coil type mattress and while comfortable, they are typical for a hotel of this caliber. There are plenty of pillows and they come in a variety of hardness/density that you'll find one which works for you (there are 4 pillows for the queen size bed).

The telephones work well and an alarm clock is standard. The desk offers plenty of space for your laptop and you'll find the usual Bible and a Book of Mormon (rather odd) in the desk drawer. You'll also find a few guidebooks in the room to assist you in finding any touristy type venues. The room also offers a decent iron and board as well as two laundry bags. An in room coffee maker and 4 glass cups are afforded to you as well. I also had plenty of towels. 5 bath towels, 4 wash cloths, 3 hand towels and a bathmat. You are also given a small hand soap and body soap as well as shampoo/conditioner which does an okay job for a hotel shampoo/conditioner. The shower comes with the new style shower curtain which does not impede into the tub (the shower rod does "float" down as most other hotels do after being hung). I did not see any mold or mildew in the tub, along the top of the tub area or toilet.

My room had a 19" TV which offered the usual channels (and HBO, ESPN, CNN, CNBC, etc.). There is a small convenience shop next to the Front Desk if you need a snack. You'll find fair prices and a offering of beers and wines as well. The USA Today is NOT delivered to your door any longer as the hotel has gone "green" by providing them at the front desk to keep the number of unread newspapers at bay by guests simply waling over them as they exit the room in the morning. You'll also find free coffee/tea in the morning as well in the lounge/sitting area next to the "business center" which offers a computer and printer.

The room was quite as was the HVAC but I tend to like a loud HVAC to use a white noise and this room was very quite. If you can, ask for a room on the 5th floor. I was able to hear the guests above me walking/running on the floor above me. I was also given "free" adult entertainment if you will (UGH!) by the happy couple next door (as the walls are pretty thin). The hotel does offer a small pool and valet parking (I would NOT advise parking a nice car on the street).

I think I have covered all of the bases. This is a decent hotel. The staff is friendly and willing to help you with whatever it is you need. My only criticism was the dirty HVAC.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
OaklandCourtyard, Hotel Management at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you may have had during your stay.

Some of the steps that we put in place to ensure the cleanliness of rooms is as follows:
We perform preventive maintenance in every guest room 4 times a year. Part of the program is work on pluming, caulking, paint touch ups, all other maintenance work as well as a deep cleaning of the room. It also includes the cleaning of the HVAC system in the room.

If our housekeepers notice that a room requires any additional work or is in need of work prior to the scheduled rotation while the room is being cleaned they report to the maintenance staff and the issue will be taken care of before the room is being rented to a guest. We apologize that we failed to do so in your room. We made sure to confirm with the maintenance staff that the room received full maintenance the day after you departed.

In addition to the quarterly rotation we service all HVAC’s in the spring and the fall in preparation for the summer and winter season. We just finished the spring cycle and all our units are ready to cool all our guests during the upcoming summer months.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. Receiving guest comments like yours helps enable us to celebrate success with our staff and improve in areas of concern.
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

I am a local resident of the Bay Area, but had to be in Oakland for 3 nights for a conference being held at the convention center across the way. I have stayed at that Marriott across the street a few times before so decided to save some money (only $15) a night and stay at the Courtyard.

The positives- the Courtyard had free internet. It wasn't fast enough for me to get Netflix on demand, but it was free. They have good valet service and it is cheaper than parking across the street and more convenient. The breakfast buffet is adequate at 13.95. I really wish it was included with my stay though, like at the Courtyard competitors, Hampton Inn, HI Express, etc.

The Negatives-
The room was nothing to be excited about. I would classify it as a two star accomodation. One bed in my room was inexcusably soft. The carpet was badly stained, the room only provided shampoo and conditioner, no lotion mouthwash or q-tips. The shower and bathroom were fine, but nothing compared to more current updated business focused accomodations.
I was very disappointed with the lack of a refrigerator in the room. It was very disappointing.
The work out facility was extremely small. The room was extremely hot and it has only a bike, a treadmill, and two ancient stair steppers. They have some inherently dangerous weights as well in the corner with inadequate space to use them and nowhere to stretch. The treadmill was so ancient and poorly kept it gave me very bad static shocks throughout my 5 k run. The workout facility should absolutely be re-done.

Some Clarity on Oakland
Oakland is really the worst large town in the bay area. The accomodations near the convention center are all pretty sub-standard for such a large venue. The Marriott across the street, is distinctly one of the worst full fledged Marriotts I have ever seen. Both properties are badly in need of significant renovations. Both properties lack mini-bars, refrigerators, or better accomodations.

Overall I was very disappointed. For $170 AAA rate during the week, I expected something more like a Hampton inn or Holiday Express, and was disappointed to find something with the Marriott name on the outside feel more like a Motel 6 on the inside. Sadly there are few options in Oakland.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay in Oakland. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you may have endured during your stay.

We would like to give a quick update on some of the changes we have made throughout the last few weeks to improve upon our hotel standards. We have received several comments on our work out facility and have been exploring a number of different options to improve the quality of the facility. We just recently replaced all our machines with new NordicTrack equipment. We now have a treadmill, an elliptical, a Stairmaster and a stationary bike. We also installed individual TV’s for the machines to upgrade the work out experience. By providing individual TV’s for the machines we were able to rearrange the set up and freed up space to use the free weight system more adequately.

For our guests who prefer to have a refrigerator and microwave in their room we will deliver it to the guest room free of charge.

We again apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope that you do make it to the Oakland area again to enjoy our improvements, and let our staff help you with some tips of the great things to see and do in the city.
Boise
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

The hotel did seem understaffed, but the staff that were there were very capably and extremely nice. The room was a very good size and clean. We were on the 5th floor, overlooking Broadway. At all times of the day, the place was very peaceful. There were lots of shops, restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. The 24 hour convenience shop (accessed by your room key) was nice in an emergency. Rushing down to get my two year old some milk at 6:30 am was no problem other than it being a little pricey. Parking also seemed a little pricey, but they lack self parking so you don't have much of an option unless you bring coins to feed the meters on the street. I would also say it is worth it because your car/rental car is in a safe and secure area. They are also very fast and bringing your car to you when you need it.

Overall, I was very impressed with this hotel and WILL stay there again on my next visit. It is a perfect choice for a family.

• Liked — It was in the middle of everything, yet very quiet and peaceful.
  • Disliked — Valet Parking really added up.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

This is like the 3rd time I have stayed here. Each time there is something that makes me avoid staying again. But after seeing it so highly ranked by Tripadvisor, I decided to give it another try.

Although I spend all of my time visiting San Francisco, the reason for staying in Oakland is hotels there are cheaper than across the Bay, and it only takes a 5-minute Bart subway ride. And the Courtyard Oakland Downtown is a block from the 12th Street Bart station.

Check-in was fine, although the main entrance is only used for leaving the hotel and you have to enter from the side next to Chinatown. I was given free chocolate and offered cookies. I was given a room on the 3rd floor (2nd is lowest, 5th is highest) even though I had requested a room on the 5th floor in my reservation.

The morning front desk person was not as friendly as the person who checked me in and when I asked if I could open a safe deposit box, she gave me this excuse that all of them were occupied. i found it hard to believe. I have never stayed at a hotel where all the safe deposit boxes were occupied. So I had to lug all my valuables around town and hoped that I wasn't going to get mugged.

On my 2nd and last night, I had a problem with the guest above me. He was treating his room like this was his own house. I called front desk and the night operations manager Veronica offered to call the police. I said I don't care what she does, I just want a room change. She obliged and found a better room for me. This is just one of the risks when you stay at any hotel. You hope everyone is considerate and most of the time people are.

I was also disappointed to find that on weekends, the Courtyard caters to a different clientele. The Courtyard promotes itself as being designed by business travellers for business travellers. But on weekends, most of their guests are those that arrive on group coaches. They are loud, slam doors and just act like they're the only guests in the hotel. I was disappointed to discover this, not only because they were inconsiderate but also because they are paying a lot less than the regular guest. This is not the first Courtyard that I have encountered the group tourists, but as a business traveller, I can never understand why Courtyard has to cater to this type of clientele.

I would be hard pressed to stay at this Courtyard again. I paid about $115 a night and for all the hassles that I had to deal with, I think I should have to pay only $70. I may just pay more next time and stay in San Francisco.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No safe deposit boxes and caters to group tourists
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights while attending Oracle OpenWorld in SF. I was very pleased with my stay. I asked for a quiet room and got one facing the interior, which overlooks the pool area, parking lot, and large common patio of the adjacent condo building. Plenty of light during the day and no noise at all at night. The rates at hotels in SF had all been raised for the conference and this one had our regular corporate rate, only took 15-20 minutes to Powell/Market by BART, and was otherwise typical for a Courtyard.

As others have stated, the hotel is two blocks south of the BART station, and on the edge of Chinatown. I'm a man who lives in Chicago and I found it perfectly safe, if a little deserted at night, but I think a single woman would feel apprehensive on the street at night because there just aren't many people around.

I usually got breakfast from a Chinese bakery around the corner on Franklin between 9th and 10th, and the hotel has breakfast (not free with my rate) and a little self-service convenience store with food items. I didn't use the hotel exercise room but did go for several runs around Lake Merritt, which is less than a mile to the east (I ran on 14th to it) and a little over 3 miles around.

• Liked — Convenient and quiet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown? Share your experiences!