“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We ended up with a King and sofa bed instead of 2 queens, so I think our room was a little smaller, and with 2 adults and 2 kids, probably should have stuck with the larger... but it was otherwise great. They tried to accommodate putting us near our other friend's room. Our AC was broken and they fixed it right away, no issues. The Bistro downstairs was great for breakfast (only ate there once). They gave us a room with a fridge because of our baby and needing milk in the room.

There is also a nice little shopping center nearby for groceries and fast food, and the BART is really close.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you need to be near the Federal Building, this is a good location; only 3-4 blocks away. Hotel staff was friendly and super accommodating! They allowed me to check in almost 3 hours early! Walked to Lake Merritt from hotel. Not much else to do around here and staying in at night seems like a good idea.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel is located in the downtown Oakland, in the mids of the China town. Bart is close by. Parking is valet off the 9th street . Large lobby with a small convenience store, cafeteria serving hot food and beverages, fitness center. About 5 min to interstate. Free wi- FI. Rooms are large with flat screen, desk. Coffee bar in the bathroom. No tea bags, just house brand coffee. Bedding and pillows are not the most comfortable. Blankets are thin. I had to use the second blanket at night. Staff friendly and helpful. Clean

Room Tip: 446. Very quiet, overlooking the valet lot
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you found our hotel clean. We know the importance of having a clean, comfortable hotel while traveling. I hope to see you again during your next trip to Oakland!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am not a big fan of the Courtyard, and this one is even I little bit worse than others I have been. It's a little bit over priced and you don't get what you are paying for. The bed sheets and the bath counter were notably stained. This makes me belive the rooms are old.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I’m sorry to hear that your experience didn’t meet the high standards our guests have come to expect. I can assure you that this experience is not typical of our hotel and I invite you to stay with us again on your next trip to Oakland.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I really like this hotel. It's reasonable, the rooms and beds are very comfortable, the staff has always been helpful. The rooms are clean. I like the free Hi Fi and the refrigerator in the room. I have stayed here many times; it is my go-to hotel when I am in the East Bay. I just wish there was a make-up mirror near the sink; when you are short and vision-challenged, it is impossible to lean over a 2' sink to see in the mirror.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for the review! I’m happy to hear that we’re your hotel of choice in the area. Thanks for passing along your feedback about the mirrors, I’ll be sure to pass your comments along to our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Monika
Malibu, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Seldom any surprises with a Courtyard Marriott. Nothing special--no style or ersonality--just a standard room and property. Great location near Bart, ChinaTown and Jack London Square.

5 Expectations:
Clean, Comfortable, Positive staff, Quiet and Free Wifi.

I don't expect vending machines to charge $2.50 for a soda. Takes review to 3 stars.

Front desk is sometimes empty and it takes them a minute or two to appear. This happened several times during my stay-- kinda unsettling.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and quiet. We strive to meet these expectations because we know the importance of having a comfortable resting place while traveling. I hope you’ll stay with us again next time you’re in Oakland!
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself; it's clean and it's located in a convenient spot. It's the staff that have caused me to give this hotel such a poor review, and because of the staff here, I will never return. I have NEVER had such a HORRIBLE experience at a hotel in my life, and I've been an annual traveler for many years. I've also been a Marriott Rewards member for many years - that membership card might be getting cut up and flushed down the toilet after my stay here. The hotel completely screwed up my reservation, causing my credit card to be frozen because they tried to charge me prematurely, and for the wrong amount. Oh, and they tried to kick me out two days before my reservation was supposed to end, too. When I showed them the confirmation email I had, they claimed that reservation didn't exist in their system. Before all this went down, they had already asked me a million times how many days I was staying, and I said to them "3 nights" a million times. They even called my room after I checked in just to ask, AGAIN, how many nights I was staying. THREE. GET IT RIGHT. But no, no matter how many times I told them, they tried to kick me out the very next day. When I realized they were responsible for causing my credit card to freeze, I was so angry, they ruined my entire weekend in San Francisco (just across the bridge). I had to use my limited backup cash and could not do some of the things I wanted without access to my only credit card. To top it off, they offered exactly ZERO apologies. The manager was honestly the most grumpy, careless, rude person of all the staff, he was a complete and utter A-HOLE. After we argued about my original reservation, which I showed to him on my phone's email and the paper I had printed off, he proceeded to disable my room key. So I went back to my room, where all my stuff was locked inside, and could not get in. I returned to the front desk, and without uttering a single word to me, he gave me a new key. He knew exactly what he had done, and he had done it on purpose. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, not if it is the last hotel in the area. So incredibly and deeply disappointed in the extreme lack of service and customer care. If my only credit card hadn't been frozen, I would have checked out on the spot and stayed elsewhere. I so wish I could've stayed elsewhere. This hotel did not deserve any of my money. Most disappointing experience at a hotel, ever.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t experience the high level of customer service that our guests have come to expect from us. I can assure you that your comments will be passed along to the team. Based on the information I received from the staff while trying to find out what happened I noticed that we didn't clearly communicate that a hold will be placed on your card to cover the entire stay for room and tax and that those funds will no longer be availabe to you. Please contact me directly at 510-625-8282 so I can get some more details and be sure we have a system in place to avoid circumstances like this in the future.

Monika Starosky

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown? Share your experiences!