“Impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Phoenix, Arizona
“Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The staff was excellent! The location outstanding. Flew into Oakland, took Bart to 12th street and walked off Bart and crossed street to Hotel. Our room was more than we needed or expected for a one night stay. Walking distance to a great Thai restaurant and Jack London Square. The person that took my reservation sent us a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! (I mentioned it was our anniversary and could she connect me to room service...she said it was not available at the moment....next thing I knew!) we were off to the Paramount theatre and the Oakland shuttles were free and convenient. Yes!yes!yes! I'd stay there again. Chinatown was a blast to walk around, an added bonus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I wanted to particularly compliment the clerk at check-in, Steve, who gave us great suggestions for brunch and dinner during our 11:30 pm check in. When he realized his directions were a block off, he called us in our room as soon as we walked in. His brunch tip for a local eatery (the Oakland Grill) was a great local business we would not have tried on our own. As of this writing, they are in the middle of a remodel to the reception/lobby area. Right next door to Old Oakland, China town, and a short walk to hosts of places to eat. Our weekend stay was very quiet at night, very clean.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

really a pleasure to stay for a Weekend, really good service and friendly team. clean and nice atmosphere, fully recommended! We are coming back for sure , big space and very clean , I will recommend it for sure to my family and friends

Room Tip: 348 room really big and confortable
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great place to stay for business. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very good. It is in a good loaction and easy to get to the interstate. If your in the area for business I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you're coming to Oakland on business, stay away from this place at all costs! Do yourself a favor and book yourself in to the nicely-run Marriott Civic Center, a block away, which is a business hotel with all the amenities. For business travelers, the Courtyard is a disaster. I'll explain:

1. They have no restaurant, no food, and no room service. If you're here on business, and in too much of a rush to leave the hotel and find a restaurant and ine, you can't eat. Ditto if you arrive late at night. I ended up going to breakfast at the "real" Marriott a block away, where I wish I'd stayed. My new boss, who initially came to the Courtyard, was so furious about the lack of food that she left after the first night. Because I suggested the Courtyard to her based on reviews, I was actually in danger of getting fired because she was so upset about the place.

2. You can't just pop out and grab a bite close by –– all the nearby restaurants close after work hours. If I was willing to walk a bit could get to one, but I was working way to hard and couldn't begin to spare the time.

3. For food, they gave me two menus of nearby restaurants that would deliver. One was out of business. The other delivered me cheap, greasy Italian slop. Really horrible.

4. The heater/air conditioner was defective in the first room they put me in, so I had to move.

5. I had a problem sleeping the first night (of two) — I woke up at 4:00am realizing that I wasn't sleeping fully on a sheet. I peeled back the bedding, and saw that whoever made the bed didn't put a fitted sheet on the bottom, but rather a flat sheet, and that it only went 3/4 down the bed. The rest was the terrycloth pad that was on top of the mattress. My feet rubbing on it had woken me up. So at 4:00am I had to take off the bedding and remake the bed. When I asked the manager the next day why the cleaning service didn't know how to make a bed, she had no answer.

6. I was there for two nights and they messed up the wakeup calls both days. One day, I got no wakeup call at all, although the guy at the front desk had noted my request and said I'd get one. The second day, they woke me up half an hour early. Since this was a very intense business trip and I was averaging four hours of sleep per night, I was exhausted and needed that extra half an hour rest. I had to get up and do an extremely important presentation, guzzling coffee just to keep my eyes open. I could see messing up once. But messing up twice in a row?

7. I tried to reach the General Manager to talk about all these problems, but though her secretary said she'd call me back, but she never did, even days later. In short, she couldn't be bothered. There's a saying: "Fish stink from the head down." I realized that her indifference probably had infected the entire staff. On the plus side, there was one woman at the front desk named Crystal who was endlessly apologetic about the hotel's problems and kept trying to be super-nice to make up for them. She was the only good thing about the hotel.

In summary, with a real business hotel a block away, you'd have to be absolutely nuts to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Stay at the Marriott City Center a block away.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardGM1, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We take guest comments very seriously and are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time at the hotel. We do have both a new on-site restaurant, The Bistro, and a 24-hour convenience market available to all guests. I have addressed your concerns with our team members and hope you will consider our hotel on the next visit to the East Bay – whether for work or leisure!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Love the location and is close to the 12th street BART station. You can get here from SFO in less than an hour for less than $8.50pp. I got a nice welcome back from the lobby staff after I returned from dinner. My room faced Broadway so I could hear road noise at night but it wasn't too bothersome. If you want a quiet room, you should ask for a room to face the courtyard. My room has been renovated. I love the style. The bed is a bit on the soft side. They separate the bathroom sink from the bathroom so it is nice. However, there is no trash can inside the bathroom. They have it outside. This hotel is currently under renovation, so the lobby is extremely small at this moment. Once the lobby is fully renovated, it will look very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

You get what you expect from a Courtyard. Clean rooms. A bit on the boutique-y side boarding Chinatown. Very friendly staff. The hotel is undergoing a renovation. Across the street from the Friday Farmers market. Lot's of restaurants nearby. Neighborhood seems a little sketchy but I felt safe walking the main streets at night. Within walking distance to the 12th BART station. The only negative was the workout room that had old equipment was weren't in the best working conditions. But this should be improved with the renovation. I found a rate for under $100, so it was a good value.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown? Share your experiences!