If you're coming to Oakland on business, stay away from this place at all costs! Do yourself a favor and book yourself in to the nicely-run Marriott Civic Center, a block away, which is a business hotel with all the amenities. For business travelers, the Courtyard is a disaster. I'll explain:
1. They have no restaurant, no food, and no room service. If you're here on business, and in too much of a rush to leave the hotel and find a restaurant and ine, you can't eat. Ditto if you arrive late at night. I ended up going to breakfast at the "real" Marriott a block away, where I wish I'd stayed. My new boss, who initially came to the Courtyard, was so furious about the lack of food that she left after the first night. Because I suggested the Courtyard to her based on reviews, I was actually in danger of getting fired because she was so upset about the place.
2. You can't just pop out and grab a bite close by –– all the nearby restaurants close after work hours. If I was willing to walk a bit could get to one, but I was working way to hard and couldn't begin to spare the time.
3. For food, they gave me two menus of nearby restaurants that would deliver. One was out of business. The other delivered me cheap, greasy Italian slop. Really horrible.
4. The heater/air conditioner was defective in the first room they put me in, so I had to move.
5. I had a problem sleeping the first night (of two) — I woke up at 4:00am realizing that I wasn't sleeping fully on a sheet. I peeled back the bedding, and saw that whoever made the bed didn't put a fitted sheet on the bottom, but rather a flat sheet, and that it only went 3/4 down the bed. The rest was the terrycloth pad that was on top of the mattress. My feet rubbing on it had woken me up. So at 4:00am I had to take off the bedding and remake the bed. When I asked the manager the next day why the cleaning service didn't know how to make a bed, she had no answer.
6. I was there for two nights and they messed up the wakeup calls both days. One day, I got no wakeup call at all, although the guy at the front desk had noted my request and said I'd get one. The second day, they woke me up half an hour early. Since this was a very intense business trip and I was averaging four hours of sleep per night, I was exhausted and needed that extra half an hour rest. I had to get up and do an extremely important presentation, guzzling coffee just to keep my eyes open. I could see messing up once. But messing up twice in a row?
7. I tried to reach the General Manager to talk about all these problems, but though her secretary said she'd call me back, but she never did, even days later. In short, she couldn't be bothered. There's a saying: "Fish stink from the head down." I realized that her indifference probably had infected the entire staff. On the plus side, there was one woman at the front desk named Crystal who was endlessly apologetic about the hotel's problems and kept trying to be super-nice to make up for them. She was the only good thing about the hotel.
In summary, with a real business hotel a block away, you'd have to be absolutely nuts to stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Downtown Oakland hotel is nestled between the Old Oakland Historic District and Chinatown just one block from the BART subway to San Francisco. Get to Union Square in San Francisco in just a 12-minute ride. Guests enjoy free internet, spacious rooms, an outdoor heated pool, an onsite fitness center, and an onsite restaurant. The Courtyard Oakland Downtown is perfect for business or leisure travelers and is nearby attractions such as Jack London Square. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Courtyard Oakland Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Oakland Downtown Hotel Oakland
- Oakland Marriott
- Oakland Courtyard