“Safe place to stay in Oakland area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advanced Purchase Rates
Ranked #9 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Safe place to stay in Oakland area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

If you have to be in this area, this hotel is a safe, clean and modern place to stay. The airport and Oracle Arena are both within five minutes drive. The hotel certainly understands that guests who do not know the area want to feel secure: the hotel is surrounded by a gate, there is ID necessary to get into the parking lot, ID necessary if coming into the hotel late, security cameras, and an attentive front desk staff. The staff was generous with offering shuttle services to the airport, arena and other locations that, although within walking distance, are not ideal walks for guests unfamiliar with the area. The rooms and hotel were a typical Courtyard by Marriott: clean, well-maintained and with fresh linens. There should be more laundry machines for the number of guests staying at the hotel, but it was still nice not to have to find a laundromat in this area. The elevator is slow, so consider staying on the first floor (but see tip below). There was no microwave in the room.

Room Tip: Consider asking for a room on the second floor if you are traveling alone, since the hotel rooms on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
LynnJD,

Thank you for your review and the kind words about our Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Always at your service,

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
MANTECA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

It was so wonderful and refreshing to stay at this Hotel. The costumer service was by far EXCELLENT in every way. Location to food outlet and walking distance to the shopping Hubs.
Parking was secured and somewhat pricey, still that didnt stop me from enjoying my stay at all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here in October, 2012, should have written review sooner. As I remember, the pool wasn't too clean.....hope that's been fixed! Room of course was typical Marriott, clean, quiet, well appointed. It was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Safe and convenient to airport, no restaurants nearby, had to go into Oakland.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for writing we look forward to seeing you again soon. Please let me know if I can book a reservation for you again in the future.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Yes, it's in a semi-rough area, but frankly, the property is clean, secure, and well maintained.

Recently started charging for parking, which isn't necessary.

The staff is EXCELLENT. They really pay attention. This Courtyard picks you up at the rental car facility, has very early airport shuttles, still serves free coffee in the AM (that's a big deal).

Give them a try!!!!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Tim H.

Thank you for your kind words I hope to see you next time your in the Oakland area. Please let me know if I can assist you with reservations in the future.
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

1. CON - Price.
We felt rack rates of $219 ($250 total after taxes) to be on the high side of hotels for a stay in Oakland near the airport. When I think about what I got and the amenities I wasn't able to use, it made me want to consider my other options (We left before the complimentary breakfast was served to catch our flight). I've stayed in the Hilton, Red Lion and Holiday Inn all on Hagenberger - all of these properties were offer similar amenities and were priced lower, but I wanted to stick with the Marriott-brand. Additionally, when I think about where I've stayed in the city for the same price, it really made me feel like I was overpaying for the area. Of course the extensive shuttle waits don't help in making me feel like I'm getting my money's worth either.

2. CON - Hotel Shuttle.
The hotel shuttle wait from the airport and BART station is a minimum of 20-25 minutes. The area outside the BART station at night isn't the safest, so time your request accordingly. With regards to the airport pick-up, I watched as the Hilton and Holiday Inn Express shuttles come around twice during the time we waited to be picked-up by Marriott Courtyard. Had I known we would be waiting 25 minutes, I probably would have opted to pay for the $5 cab ride or called to request the pick-up as soon as I was allowed to turn my cell phone on before de-boarding the plane. It would probably benefit the Courtyard to have more than one driver on high occupancy days as I noticed there was more than one shuttle.

3. PRO - Room.
We really liked the way our room (317) was setup. We liked that the bed wasn't against a shared wall. We felt like the room was spacious and the bathroom a good size. (Our room was missing a shower cap and lotion though). The shower had a bathtub and shower curtain (not glass doors)

4. BIG PRO - Bed.
This is probably the most important thing to me, especially right now being 6-months pregnant. I've stayed in numerous Marriott properties all over and have noticed that the beds are always consistently hard. Last night was probably the first time I've ever gotten into a Marriott bed and felt super comfortable!

5. PRO - Night staff.
We returned from the 49er game in the city, exhausted and a little irritable from having to wait at the BART station for so long. The evening driver was very pleasant, professional and apologetic. He even reserved our morning shuttle back to the airport without us knowing it needed reservations. The gal working the front desk was also wonderful in that she noticed I was pregnant and went to get me extra pillows to help make me more comfortable. She also offered me a midnight snack for any of my cravings. A+ on going above and beyond!

6. PRO - Lobby Decor
Since we weren't able to get an early check-in due to the property being sold out, we had to sit in the lobby for a little bit before heading in to the city. We liked the decor of the lobby and especially the little table nooks with personal TVs.

All in all we enjoyed our quick overnight stay. We're season ticket holders and come up for every home game, staying the night near the airport on occasion for some of the SNF and MNF games. Then its first flight home the next morning to get to work on time. Because we basically stop in to drop off our bags and are back to the airport to catch the first flight home, we are especially concerned about the value which could be better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
JJandAdice

I appreciate you writing. It’s great to get feedback from our guests. We do have lotion and shower caps available at the desk. As it’s no longer a brand standard for us to have them in our guest rooms we just have them available on delivery. Please let me know the next time you will be in town and I will make sure we have them placed in your guest room. Congratulations on your baby, we look forward to seeing you and him or her very soon. I'm glad to see your 9ers won for you this weekend I hope you enjoyed the game.

Always at your service,
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stay at this property when we attend Oakland Raider football games since we fly up from the Los Angeles area. The hotel has free shuttle service to and from the airport and the coliseum. Don't forget to tip your driver. We walk over the freeway to the game if the weather is nice. Staff at the front desk know us as regulars and try to have our room ready to drop off our bags before the 1 PM kickoff. We prefer third floor interior courtyard rooms that overlook the pool. Food and drinks are available in the lobby, as are computers, printers and TV. Sign up for airport shuttles the night before to get a seat. This is a very busy hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from Hegenberger.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you next time.

Basalt, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Seems very much like it is located in a "tough" area of Oakland. Would not stay here again. Room was very, very average and not the typically standard for a Marriott Courtyard. Drape was torn. Just not pleasant. Skip it.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from Hegenberger Road ... Too much traffic noise. Actually, just stay somewhere els...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BasaltDuo

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I wish we could have done more to meet your expectations when you were with us. in terms of the area we have upgraded our security by adding a gate and parking system. Additionally we will be purchasing new sheers for the guest rooms that have tears. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Bill Dalleske

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!