“A Tale of Two Courtyards” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Advanced Purchase Rates
Ranked #10 of 47 hotels in Oakland
“A Tale of Two Courtyards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed two nights to see the Oakland A's play. The whole purpose of staying at the hotel was to use the shuttle to the Colliseum so that was an important ammenity to us. It was Labor Day weekend so the hotel was full and we were not able to get two queen beds, we had to settle for a king and a pull out sofa bed. I would say the rooms are smaller than average. They have some nicer rooms on the back side of the hotel with balconies that face the pool but these rooms are hard to get. Thanks to the nice staff at the front desk we were able to move to one of these rooms the second night. You cannot reserve a balcony room when you make a reservation and there aren't many so you probably won't get one. As I mentioned before, the shuttle was very important. On the first night the service was unacceptable. We had to wait 45 min for a shuttle to the game and after waiting over 30 mins for a ride back we gave up and took a taxi. We have stayed also at the holiday inn down the street and never waited more than 5 mins for a shuttle (the Colliseum is less than 5 mins away). It seemed like the Courtyard gave preference to the airline crews and if there was an airline crew arriving at the airport they would wait there for them at the expense of all the other guests. The second night I think we just got lucky because we were able to get a shuttle there when we arrived in the lobby and the shuttle driver was waiting for us at the end of the game. Must have been because we complained about the first night but whatever the reason it made the second night's stay almost perfect for us. The next day the nice lady at the front desk said that she was also at the game and had the same experience we had the first night. She said that she also saw all the other hotel shuttles come and go multiple times but no Courtyard shuttle. The hotel has two vans, they just need to have a dedicated driver working the game nights like the other hotels have. With only one shuttle driver, flight crews arriving, and a big game at the Colliseum there was no way they were going to be able to meet the demand. I would have to say that the staff members at this hotel were beyond nice and did everything they could do to make our trip better. I think the owner or manager just needs to work on the staffing for game nights as it seemed like around half of the guests were there for the game. That is a good amount of business they are going to lose if they cannot figure out the shuttle. In the meantime, the holiday inn down the road isn't exceptional but they do have a reliable shuttle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Lastick

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very appreciative to have received your feedback. I completely agree we do need additional coverage on game days and will see to it that we have that for your next visit with us.

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lake Almanor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Very pleased with our recent stays @ Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport. We have (2) future reservations coming up. There was an EXCEPTIONAL Front Desk Employee. She also shuttled us to the airport and was helpful & cheerful. When we returned 10 days later from our trip, "Sharae" said, "Welcome Back Mrs. Green". Wow - Very impressive. She has great Customer Relations & is truly an asset to Marriott. We are Marriott Members & appreciate "Special Employees". I hope "Sharae" is on duty during our next (2) visits.

Sharon Green

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon G,

Thank you so much for your kind words I will be sure to share your comments Sharae. I look forward to see you on your next visit.

General manager
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Our stay here was short, but based on my experience, not short enough. The sink in our room had a black hair in it and the drain was clogged. The toiletries were almost empty. In general, being platinum at Marriott, i have noticed a serious decline in housekeeping standards. On the positive side, the lobby was nice and the gentleman at the desk at 4:30am very friendly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
RubyAZ12

I am writing to apologize for your less than satisfactory experience with our Housekeeping service. I want to ensure you that we take your feedback seriously and will work hard to make sure this type of things are corrected. Additionally thank you for noting the friendliness of our night clerk. As a Rewards member we truly value your opinion greatly.

Always at your service,

Oakland Courtyard By Marriott
Reedley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

stayed her on Aug 9th was in town for the Dallas game and booked my room 1 week in advance and even called that same day to let the staff know I was going to have a late check in and please hold my room. When I arrived at about 11pm they informed me that there was no more 2 queen rooms available so I had to stay in a 1 king bed room which was the size of a queen. I was very dissapointed the room was very small and was not what I signed up for. As for the guest service she didnt seem to care that I was upset, just wanted me to check in and leave her alone.
I had no choice but to check in due to my 4 year old being asleep. I will not be staying at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cyayns,

It’s very upsetting to learn of your recent experience with us. It’s always our practice to ensure that you get the room type you've requested. I also can understand how hard it must have been for you with your family to stay in a smaller rooms with less beds. I would like to work with you to find a way to make this situation right. Below you will find my contact information please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Always at your service,

Courtyard By Marriott Oakland Airport
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 nights In August 2013. I knew I was checking in late, so I called the hotel at 6pm to let them know I was going to be there around 12pm, to make sure they would save my room. I got there at 1am and the front desk staff told me that they had overbooked the place and I had to me moved to a different hotel, in a completely different city, 20 miles away! I had to drive half an hour at 1 am. Their compensation the next morning: free coffee.

They did this to me and other 6 people. The next day I requested to talk to the manager. The person at the front desk called her on the phone to let her know the situation. I heard her saying that the hotel had been overbooked, "as always". Go somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Lina Q,

I wanted to appoligize for the inconvenice you faced on your recent stay with us. I understand how disappoited you must have been when you came to check and and found there was no room for you at our property. I would like to try to make it right. Please contact me at the hotel to discuss possible compensation.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am a female solo traveller when I stayed here at the Courtyard Marriott Oakland Airport. I stayed for two nights. I slept so well and always felt so safe. I like the idea of the gates (going in and getting out of the vicinity of the hotel). I was warmly greeted when I checked in. I had my confirmation ready, AAA card, and ID. I was given my room card and directions on how to get to the room. Elevator works just fine, the lobby area was spacious and they have a business area (computers, printers).
To the right of the front desk is The Bistro cafe. Had their spicy wings, reuben sandwich to go. Loved it! The Market is an alcove to the left of the front desk where you can purchase just about anything,chips, ice cream, popcorn, frozen pizza (microwave provided), drinks (be it beer or wine or water) and sodas.
They have a nice pool (see photo) with privacy wall, meaning not visible to the parking lot.
Back door access (use room card to enter) is convenient for those parked at the other side of the building. Side parking lot has an exit gate as well.
As a female travelling solo, I felt so safe in this hotel.
Ice maker in each floor level (there are 3 in this Marriott).
Coffee (regular and decaf), coffee maker, sugar/cream and cups are provided in each room.
Ample towels, Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner, handsoap, body soap and facial soap provided as well.
The window treatments kept the rising sun (room facing east) from getting the room too hot in the morning.
A large digital alarm clock was available (side of bed). A large screen TV for your daily dose of news and traffic updates. HBO and other channels available as well. WiFi was free. Iron and hairdryer are in the hallway closet. Large full length mirror was a nice touch. Both sliding door panels of the closet were mirrors. Loved that!
Tissue and bathroom necessities were ample.
The king sized bed was luxurious. I had 4 pillows, that were just perfect. The sheets were clean and fresh. There were no dust (oh yeah I checked) on the lamp shades or on the AC, corner floors. I got a nice back room unit and I slept so well. It helps alot to look refreshed after a very good night sleep, when meeting friends the next day.
Courtyard Marriott is the best choice for you ladies who travel alone.
It is safe no matter what other reviewers here say about location. There is a gas station nearby (they sell hot cocoa and coffee here too), Starbucks, In n Out Burger, Walmart, Jamba Juice, Wingstop, Panda Express just across the way on Edgewater, next left upon exiting right turn out of the hotel parking.
The airport is so close to here. The car rentals is less than 3.5 miles from this location. So easy to find anything. There is a McD and Burger King should you find yourself craving for some fries late at night - same street as the Courtyard - make a right out of the parking lot and cross the bridge, it will be on your right hand side after the first light.
I liked the fact that there were CCTV cameras manning the parking lot.
make sure you put the parking number the front desk gives you on your dash board when you park your car, unauthorized cars parked there CAN be towed at owner's expense. It is duly marked on the parking lot.
I checked out without any problems. I was charged exactly as I was quoted online, like when I checked in and checked out.
I will stay at a Marriott again if they are all like this one.
Loved the stay. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: Request for a room away from the main drag. I loved my room since it was facing the East. The rising...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bill D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
grace2011

Thank you so much for your kind words we absoulutly strive to provide you a world class service. Please let me know if I can assist you in the furure with reservations.

General manager
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

In our travels to the Oakland/Berkeley area we usually stay at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina. This time we tried out the Courtyard by the Oakland airport. We very much liked the hotel. Our room was spacious, the bed wonderfully comfortable, and the lobby and furnishings new.

There is a Starbucks in the lobby along with a "take-out" restaurant and lounge. In the morning we purchased a yogurt parfait (kind of like at McDonalds), oatmeal, and coffee and took it outside to the garden and pool area. There were lots of comfy chairs, pretty landscaping, and it was surprisingly quiet. Very enjoyable.

As others have said, the location is a neighborhood in flux. The auto entrance is on the main street to the airport, which has a lot of nice buildings and redevelopment. The other three sides are certainly not inviting. But we had a rental car so the location wasn't an issue.

Lots of computer terminals in the lobby -- two dedicated to printing boarding passes. In the morning there was free coffee in the lobby, so no need to purchase the Starbucks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinColorado

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. We apprecate the fact you tried us out and enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know if I can assist you with your travel plans in the future.

Courtyard By Marriott Oakland-Airport
350 Hegenburger Road
Oakland CA, 94621
T - 510-568-7600
F - 510-568-7695
Email - Billdalleske@remingtonhotels.com

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!