“Nice Place to Stay In Oakland” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Sacramento, California
“Nice Place to Stay In Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

New, nice and clean with great beds/pillows, walking distance for food. Nice outdoor pool and gym.Has a good food/snack place inside hotel. Don't like the gate entrance from street & exit out.Total hassle. Guess it keeps you safe in a bad part of town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hungarian first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Spent a Tuesday and Thursday night here recently due to proximity to Oakland airport. This and all other hotels in the area are very close to the terminal. Hotel staff at the Courtyard is top-notch accommodating and friendly. The Bistro staff is the best I have seen at any Courtyard by far. On the first night there were no issues. On the second stay I was in a room at the far end of the property and there was a dog barking all-night long, apparently from an adjacent property. This was very disruptive. Do not take a room at this part of the hotel. It is 50/50 on if I would stay here again. Rooms are typical Courtyard sized. TV is OK with respectable selection of channels. Food options in area are very limited. Hotel did pick up at rental car drop off which is courteous and runs shuttles often.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Good service. Clean hotel ,close to airport. Will definitely recommend hotel. The front desk gentleman was very helpful . Got a early morning 4 am shuttle from hotel.
Got a good distressed passenger rate from front desk as well as my flight was cancelled. The airline did not get us reduced rates as it was the lack of air traffic controller and not the airline mistake.The folks at Marriott helped.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Anchorage
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night on business. Very clean. Nice decor in lobby and bistro. Room was spacious, although the set up is different with the bed facing the windows. Bathroom amenities were skimpy. Just the basics. Very clean. Hallways are kinda noisy though. Everytime someone was going by sounded like it was in my room. $8 for parking I believe. I used the shuttle to and from the airport. The neighboorhood is sketchy but the hotel is gated. Quick to airport too. Definitely would stay here again. Service was wonderful. Everyone was smiling and courteous.

• Stayed April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This Courtyard was a pleasant surprise, given its proximity to Oakland Airport. It was pleasant and well maintained. Everything was in perfect working order. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful.

The beds were a bit soft, but that seems to be what people want these days (contrary to consistent medical opinion about lack of back support). Rooms were comfortable.

The downside was the bistro approach to dining. Pretty limited, and quickly prepared. Without being mean, you can get a better breakfast at a fast-food location. And, contrary to prevailing mythology, not all people like Starbucks, which they sell. So, between the Marriott Barrista brand of coffee, and Starbucks, the coffee options are unpleasant to me.

Leaving aside the dining and coffee, it was a perfectly fine and pleasant hotel in a great location. I will stay there again - and bring my own coffee!

Room Tip: Away from Hegenberger Road is your best and quietest location.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Only one person manning the desk and hotel requests when I arrived. I had used the "Extra Pillows" request when I had reserved a room online, but none were provided in the room (had the same issue with the Marriott Resort & Spa in Waikoloa, HI so it seems that Marriott in general doesn't pay attention to the online booking requests).
I called down to reception asking for the pillows (being 7 months pregnant, extra pillows are a necessity). One hour later (i.e. 11:30PM) still no sign of the pillows. My husband called reception again and had to remind the reception person as they had forgotten. 30mins later, still no sign. FInally my husband had to walk down to reception and go with the receptionist to get the pillows in person and bring them back to the room - great service, huh???
Don't get the "Starbucks" coffee at the little breakfast bar there - the person that makes them is not Starbucks trained - the coffee was illegally hot and I scalded my mouth, and the coffee tasted burnt (presumably because it had been heated too hot).
Trying to get a shuttle back to the airport was a bit interesting - the receptionist told me we couldn't get an earlier shuttle as she was the driver and had to drop another guest to the car rental, call a cab for another guest, and basically....long story short - this hotel only ever seems to have one person working at a time and therefore service is non-existant. If you have plenty of time to spare to hang around waiting for the staff here, go ahead and stay, but you won't find me staying here again. The Holiday Inn looks like a better bet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Guy F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay at our hotel. After reading your feedback, I am disappointed that your time with us was not satisfactory. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced.

Our priority is to take care of our guests and provide them with exceptional service it appears that in your case we fell dreadfully short of providing the service that we are proud of.

Once more, I am very sorry for the experience you had at our hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed with my husband at this hotel for a couple of days for a wedding, and I just had to praise the staffs that were working the day that we stayed here. The front desk was very friendly. I really wanted to mention Hong. We weren’t happy with our first room, but she switched our room right away and everything was fine. I am not from the area, but she was so sweet from the minute we walked in until we left. We are not locals so we were a little lost on where to eat or hang out and she gave us a few places to go to. We took her advice and always enjoyed ourselves. Thank you Hong for working at the Marriott! If anyone plans to stay here ask for Hong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Guy F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm pleased that you had a great time and that Hong took such great care of you during your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport!

Our goal is to always exceed expectations, it is always wonderful and motivating to hear great feedback about our team members.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the bay area.
Guy