“Soul Food thats Wholly Food” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #43 of 1,047 restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Vegan
Description: amazing Vegan food for those who miss meat!! Souly vegan is an amazing restaurant with an amazing story! You MUST go to there web sight & check them out. Great collard greens, amazing no meat chicken & free oranges wail you wait. I am a vegetarian who used to love a good meaty sandwich & this place makes me forget all about my old habits. The first time I eat the chicken sandwich I knew going vegetarian wasn’t going to be as hard as I thought, as long as souly vegan is open!!!
Oakland, California
“Soul Food thats Wholly Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This is the go to spot for comfort food that is actually good for the body. Have never had a dessert though. Too satisfied to fit one in. Someday! Another plus, it's open late.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
Englewood, New Jersey
“Delicious food and doesn't even taste like a vegan meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The food here was delicious! Great music and good environment! I was so full after just a few bites but still kept eating more because it tasted so good! Definitely have to try this place vegan or not vegan!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Tahoe, NV
“Awesome. Support this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been a vegetarian for 28 years....I have authored a book on the subject, etc. So, when I can find a restaurant that has great food, creatively done, with soul energy and love, then wow......it is great day as this is often very hard to find.

I met the owner and she was friendly, open and passionate about her mission.

I had the fried kale and black eyes peas. Wow....the black eyed peas were awesome. Would absolutely order these again. The kale was one of more creative dishes i have had in a very long time. I would order this with extra sauce next time.

The owner gave me a sample of the mock chicken wings (seitan) and although I try to stay away from gluten, this was a crazy delicious treat. Would order an order of this next time.

Great food. Easy, low key, comfortable atmosphere....great service with people that care.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, CA
“Great even for meaty folk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The food rocks. I love meat, but when I eat at Souley Vegan I don't feel like there is anything missing. I had the goulash and I crave it.

Visited July 2012
San Francisco, California
“Owner makes this spot special....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

4 stars for the owner, the concept, and the service. Everything about this place was top notch for a low key local eatery. The problem is that it exposes everything that is wrong about the vegan movement: the clientele were uppity hipsters desperate to differentiate themselves, making their dining choices antithetical as they puff on cigarettes by the front door. The other issue is that it exposes the problem with vegetarian and vegan cuisine - to come of age, it needs to be itself and stop trying to mimic meaty food. The choice of eating veggie / vegan stems from many a philosophy - religion, ethical sustainability, etc, and often times is largely informed by the need or desire to be healthy. This simply exposes the insecurity of veganism, and proves that people who choose to eat a limiting palette of options from this cradle of health can eat just as unhealthily and poorly as those who choose to eat meats and traditional soul foods. When you fry everything, and then masquerade everything with spices, etc... to *my* personal, uninformed, confused mind - it sort of defeats the purpose. There's eating healthy and ethically for personal, spiritual, or economic reasons.... then there is a hipster scene of duality, hypocrisy, and shallow misinformation.

The owner of this establishment has done everything right. She is a consummate professional, kind and jolly, friendly and community minded. The FOOD!!! The fried tofu barbecue is out of sight. The macaroni and cheese is vegan and MIND BLOWING. Black eyed peas are the yum. The fried dishes seemed like proper po boys, and the atmosphere and ambiance is fun and low key (park benches with jazz greats stenciled all about). Incredible service, incredible concept, but the clientele just expose it. Maybe I am an old grump, but I just rather have the same unhealthy food with a little bit of protein and a hell of a lot less desperate steampunk / goth / punk / 80's throwback hipster piquant. It doesn't seem like community as much as a lonely circus.

Visited June 2012