“Clean, new hotel rooms; interesting area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   371 13th St, Between Franklin & Webster, Oakland, CA 94612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Pasadena, California
“Clean, new hotel rooms; interesting area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I had a nice clean room though it was very small. I believe that the hotel has recently been remodeled, giving the whole place a new feel.

The service is great, and the adjoined restaurant next door is pretty good, both for dinner and for breakfast, making it a convenient place to stay in that regard.

There's a computer in the lobby where you can do email and other such stuff.

On Sundays, parking is free in front of the hotel, but otherwise, there's a two-hour limit (and you pay). I believe that you can pay $20/day to park in the hotel parking lot.

The area is kind of fun to walk around if you're into perusing old and new neighborhoods. The Oakland Tribune building (with its bright neon signs) is on the next block, and there are some interesting buildings in the area if you enjoy architecture. On the other hand, I don't think that I would have felt safe walking around at night alone if I were a woman.

Overall, it's pretty decent, and for the cost, you can't beat it. If I were visiting Oakland again, or even San Francisco, I'd return here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Perfect for us - very clean, very friendly staff, and great hospitality & food in the attached restaurant, MAISA. Very close to BART. Neighborhood wasn't great for strolling, but if you have business or family in downtown Oakland, this place has the comfort and caring staff that will really make your stay. The prices are so low that I would even recommend this to a budget-minded SF traveler - BART is so close, and this is a great place to begin and end your days as a tourist.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We just spent 4 nights at the Clarion Hotel in Downtown Oakland. The purpose of our trip was to move our son who had just graduated from CAL into a new apt. The Clarion Hotel appears to be fairly new. The staff was excellent and attentive. On our initial reservation I had requested a TOP FLOOR room with 6 pillows. Not only did the hotel comply, but they listened to me gush over my son for 4 days and answered any questions we had. The room was FANTASTIC. Now to be fair, when I made the reservation I needed a king bed, and the only one available was "wheelchair accessible" Bonus for us, as the room was HUGE! . The bed was soft and comfy. The pillows were a dream. The room rug and bathroom were impeccable. The TV was a flat screen. The bathroom was immense. Granite counter and stone flooring. There was a window which you could open to let fresh air in. They had a mini fridge and a microwave. There was absolutely NO CIGARETTE SMOKE ANYWHERE! It was fabulous. All of this for $86 a night!!! If I had to stay in one hotel for 4 days this would DEFINITELY BE AT THE TOP OF OUR LIST. Plus the hotel had a really nice middle eastern/italian restaurant on site called "Maisa" Not only was the food really good, but it was at a good price. Whenever we stay at a hilton or hyatt, the restaurants are incredibly over priced and the food is bland. Not here, it was totally fair. I had a split pea soup with pita bread for $5! My husband had a appetizer platter for $8. I can't say enough of this rare gem in Oakland. I wish you all the best.

Breakfast is not included, but there are many restaurants nearby. The ONLY drawback and this would be TRUE of any major city hotel was the parking. The hotel does have 5 spaces set aside at a next door parking lot. However, the cost is $20 p/d. When we asked, we were told that we could park on the street FOR FREE between the hours of 6 p.m. - 8 a.m. My husband would wake up @ 7:55 and add $2 to give us till 10 a.m. So we were set parking wise. Since Oakland does city street cleaning you had to alternate parking from one side to the other side, but since it was RIGHT next to the hotel, it was perfect.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
UP michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The value of this hotel is what first grabbed my attention in looking for lodging in the Bay area. Looking closer to its location showed that it was only 2 blocks from the nearest BART station (12th St. station). The trip to San Francisco was 25 minutes from the room to SF’s Embarcadero. Checking in I found staff friendly, helpful and efficient. The room rate was $68.00 (senior), and we stayed for 8 nights. The room was clean, freshly decorated and fit our needs perfectly. It has a wide screen flat panel TV, very comfortable bed, internet connection, and large, and newly furnished bath. The in-house restaurant has been open for only two months, and is still developing a breakfast menu (our only meal with them). If they didn’t have an offering they were willing and quite able to “give it try”. After our first meal with them it was much the same as stepping into a friends dining room and having a great breakfast. The lobby has a computer and printer available.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Great personal service that you can't get in a big chain. A TOTAL bargain, too....My husband's having surgery tomorrow at Alta Bates hospital, and this was a perfect place
for about $70 or so. All the other hotels were at least twice the price.... Amazing bargain; very clean and remodeled, used the fitness room, and it was fine, though small. From inside, you can walk right to the charming little restaurant, where they have wonderful, homemade italian and simple Mediterranean food for $10 a plate. We had the freshest, lightest, tastiest lentil soup I've ever tasted; I also had the lamb and it was simply prepared; not like the chains (who put in all kinds of fake ingredients and not greasy).

We're from Monterey area, and I have played music at all the posh hotels in Pebble Beach and elsewhere, and this is just as comfortable for me; nice plush towels, etc. for those who want simplicity, service, and value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

This was my 2nd visit. It was even more delightful the 2nd time. Employees are friendly and very helpful and they remember your name. Samir Mshasha, manager, could not be more helpful and a very kind person, which is important to find. They make you feel important. Lisa at the front desk is also a very helpful and kind person.
The new restaurant has a wonderful international menu, again with delightful very personal service. It is perfectly located, close to everything that you need for business and personal needs. It is my home away from home. No complaints on any level and that is not easy these days.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I had reserved a room with two double beds for me and my 23 year old son who was taking the LSAT the next morning. On arrival, no such room was available. I rejected the offer of a rollaway and asked if there were two connecting rooms. After calling his manager, the front desk receptionist was able to comp me the second room. The second room was still dirty (at 4 pm) but he called housekeeping before they left for the day and the room was cleaned.

Our rooms overlooked 13th Street. The noise level wasn't too bad except at 2 a.m. when a garbage truck or similar vehicle rumbled down the street.

The broadband internet is free and the hotel supplies a cable in each room. My son's room had a double bed and was sparsely furnished. My room was a handicapped room and had a microwave, refrigerator, and queen or king size bed.

I paid the $20 parking fee for the lot next to the hotel. The hotel allowed me to stay parked in the lot even after I had checked out in the morning. My son wasn't finished with his test until 1 p.m. We were able to have lunch and leave the car in the lot. There are cheaper places to park but the flat fee was easier for me.

Considering the AAA room rate ($71.99) I think this hotel is a bargain if you need to stay in downtown Oakland.

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland? Share your experiences!