“A diamond in Oakland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland

You added Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   371 13th St, Between Franklin & Webster, Oakland, CA 94612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
UP michigan
“A diamond in Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The value of this hotel is what first grabbed my attention in looking for lodging in the Bay area. Looking closer to its location showed that it was only 2 blocks from the nearest BART station (12th St. station). The trip to San Francisco was 25 minutes from the room to SF’s Embarcadero. Checking in I found staff friendly, helpful and efficient. The room rate was $68.00 (senior), and we stayed for 8 nights. The room was clean, freshly decorated and fit our needs perfectly. It has a wide screen flat panel TV, very comfortable bed, internet connection, and large, and newly furnished bath. The in-house restaurant has been open for only two months, and is still developing a breakfast menu (our only meal with them). If they didn’t have an offering they were willing and quite able to “give it try”. After our first meal with them it was much the same as stepping into a friends dining room and having a great breakfast. The lobby has a computer and printer available.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Great personal service that you can't get in a big chain. A TOTAL bargain, too....My husband's having surgery tomorrow at Alta Bates hospital, and this was a perfect place
for about $70 or so. All the other hotels were at least twice the price.... Amazing bargain; very clean and remodeled, used the fitness room, and it was fine, though small. From inside, you can walk right to the charming little restaurant, where they have wonderful, homemade italian and simple Mediterranean food for $10 a plate. We had the freshest, lightest, tastiest lentil soup I've ever tasted; I also had the lamb and it was simply prepared; not like the chains (who put in all kinds of fake ingredients and not greasy).

We're from Monterey area, and I have played music at all the posh hotels in Pebble Beach and elsewhere, and this is just as comfortable for me; nice plush towels, etc. for those who want simplicity, service, and value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

This was my 2nd visit. It was even more delightful the 2nd time. Employees are friendly and very helpful and they remember your name. Samir Mshasha, manager, could not be more helpful and a very kind person, which is important to find. They make you feel important. Lisa at the front desk is also a very helpful and kind person.
The new restaurant has a wonderful international menu, again with delightful very personal service. It is perfectly located, close to everything that you need for business and personal needs. It is my home away from home. No complaints on any level and that is not easy these days.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Elk Grove, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I had reserved a room with two double beds for me and my 23 year old son who was taking the LSAT the next morning. On arrival, no such room was available. I rejected the offer of a rollaway and asked if there were two connecting rooms. After calling his manager, the front desk receptionist was able to comp me the second room. The second room was still dirty (at 4 pm) but he called housekeeping before they left for the day and the room was cleaned.

Our rooms overlooked 13th Street. The noise level wasn't too bad except at 2 a.m. when a garbage truck or similar vehicle rumbled down the street.

The broadband internet is free and the hotel supplies a cable in each room. My son's room had a double bed and was sparsely furnished. My room was a handicapped room and had a microwave, refrigerator, and queen or king size bed.

I paid the $20 parking fee for the lot next to the hotel. The hotel allowed me to stay parked in the lot even after I had checked out in the morning. My son wasn't finished with his test until 1 p.m. We were able to have lunch and leave the car in the lot. There are cheaper places to park but the flat fee was easier for me.

Considering the AAA room rate ($71.99) I think this hotel is a bargain if you need to stay in downtown Oakland.

• Stayed February 2010
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed one night at this hotel for a business meeting in downtown Oakland. The hotel was just renovated so everything is brand new and nice. The front desk assigned a king-size bed with spacious room facing the street. I wanted to stay in this room, however the size could not overcome the traffic noise so the front desk easily agreed to switch me to another room, however queen size bed and smaller room. My mobile phone reception was spotty in the room (but I have AT&T) so I'm used to their spotty connections. Parking was just ten bucks across the street. With a room rate under $100, I would stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We had reservation at a hotel in downtown Oakland in downtown Oakland, but they were booked. The lady at the desk called this new hotel (Clarion) down the street. They just opened a day ago.
The restaurant is not open yet, but the place is immaculate and very clean.
Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland? Share your experiences!