“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland

You added Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   371 13th St, Between Franklin & Webster, Oakland, CA 94612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The staff is very friendly and the room while on the smile side was clean. The hotel is very convenient to all public transportation.
Suggestion:Do NOT eat at the Tribune!!!
Reason for Trip:vacation
Travel Companions:Spouse/Significant Other

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
What a pleasure to read this! I'm happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome right away. If you're ever back in Oakland, we'd love to have you back.

Hope you had a great rest of your trip!
Ayu, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Our room was pretty small, like a hole in the wall. The paint job in the room isn't nice either. And there was flies! And after we killed four flies we made sure the window was securely closed (which it was) and somehow more flies came in even baby ones. Very disappointed. I'd compare this 'hotel' to a motel 6. This was the only closest 'hotel' nearby that was next to the Fox Theater to see The Neighbourhood. Next time we are just going to find a good hotel like the Marriott, Hyatt, or something similar further away and just request an Uber car to take us to the Fox Theater. Oh and the elevator feels like it's about to break down on you when you are on it. At one point we just took the stairs because that's how wobbly it was and it only fits 3 people not including luggage.

Never again Clarion 'hotel'.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Of course, we're disappointed that you didn't have a great stay with us last time. What a pain to have to deal with flies on your trip! Did you let any of our staff know about the problem? We would've been happy to help you out had we known.

As for the elevator, I can assure you that it has been inspected and runs properly. Our guests' safety is always a priority, so we take great care to keep the hotel up to the highest safety standards. If you have any further feedback, please feel free to call us at
(510) 279-1700.

All the best,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I came to Oakland for a court hearing, and this Hotel was very much nearby to the court house. The prices were very reasonable (below 200), had a coffee spot a block away (win), and an Indian restaurant a block away (double win).

Cons are that the AC is right next to the desk, so if you are going to work for a while, you will have the AC right next to your leg. Also, not too many windows in the room. That said, the bed was comfortable and the staff was nice.

One thing I forgot while I was there, they have a breakfast included for a low price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Convenient and near coffee -- that's always a plus! Glad you had a nice stay with us while you were in town. I'm excited to hear that you had nothing but friendly interactions with our staff. I'll be sure to thank them for a job well done. If you find yourself back in Oakland, we'd love to see you again -- you'll have to try the breakfast next time.

Take care,
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I frequent Oakland( used to live there and have many friends in the Bay area ) , and I always try to stay at this hotel when I am in town. I like the proximity to the BART, local restaurants with in walking distance( Vegetarian and Indian at your door step), two drug stores on the corner, parking lot next door(additional price), you get the idea. It is not top of the line, but it is always clean, and reasonably priced. I like the fact you can open a window to breath, and the individual air conditioners mask any outside noise.

Room Tip: Go for a top floor,away from the elevator- interior room with window that opens - not great view at...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
It's great that you can always count on us for a good stay in town! Thanks for spreading the word about us here on TripAdvisor. Whenever you're visiting the Bay Area, keep us in mind.

See you next time,
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Plus- low conference rate, location 1 block from downtown BART, some nice fixtures (sink vessel), real ceramic cups/glases but bad coffee (4 cup pot, bring your own grounds).
Minuses – Single bed (comfortable enough) in room just large enough to accommodate it (10 x 12). Check out room FIRST and ask for better if needed. Small desk w/chipped paint and low chair (only chair in room), hard to work at (other furniture in decent shape). One small window on air shaft. One small elevator that creaks and groans. Spotty service – no one at desk to check in at 8pm (maybe in bathroom, but should have a “be right back sign” so you know it is attended); dirty towels left on floor (maybe I didn’t leave housekeeping a big enough tip?).

Room Tip: Check size and location (not near elevator) before you drop your bags. If too small or noise, go bac...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
We appreciate your honest feedback, Steve. While I'm glad the location and rate were what you were looking for, I'm disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us more. We're surprised to hear that the desk was unattended when you came by -- I'll talk to my staff to make sure we're better about this in the future. If you find yourself back in Oakland, we'd be happy to help you find a better size room fit for you.

All the best,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed in hotel a week ago and had no problems at all! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was roomy, nice and clean. Bed was a king and those pillows they use are super comfy! Ok, the area is not the best but we had no issues. It was a bit noisy at night but eventually it stopped. We had a room with city view so if you are not a fan of rowdy crowds and want to sleep you may consider asking for different room. Again, we stayed for the weekend so not sure how noisy it gets during the week at night and again you are in downtown, never none of a downtown being quiet. If you are in need of cocktails there's a great bar about a block down from hotel called Radio.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Satisfied is what we like to hear, Cynthia! While being downtown does put us close to a lot of the action, we're glad that noise didn't detract too much from your stay; the city views are definitely our favorite part of being down here. Next time you're in Oakland, we hope to see you again.

Hope you had a great rest of your trip!
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed in the hotel 4/13/14-4/15/14 in room 708. On the morning of 4/15 I woke up at 4am to get ready to check out and fly back home, but I noticed my arm was itchy and in the shower I realized I had bite marks all over. I went back to inspect the bed and found a bed bug (I snapped a picture) gathered my things and notified the front desk as I checked out at 5am. The staff was unable to find the mangers card but asked for my information so that they could call me once they got in that day. I got home and had to de-bug what I could of my things and still no contact from management! I called them at 3:20 and the staff said they had left for the day and I notified them that this matter could not wait, again they took my info down. They called back to say the GM (Ayu) would call me 4/16 after an inspection was done. By 2pm 4/16 I was tired of not hearing back, I left a message on Ayu's voice mail. I have grown quite tired with the lack of urgency of this establishment. I have had to throw out my carry on luggage, my Timbuk2 messenger bag and Timbuk2 toiletry bag (Timbuk2 bags valued at $200 and cannot be heat treated b/c they melt.) Not to mention the 50+ bites I have all over my face, torso, arms, legs, and hands. Who knows if my apartment will now become infested. I wish I knew to check the bed bug registry site before booking b/c this is NOT this hotels first occurrence with bed bugs. So far this situation has NOT been handled well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
We're so sorry that you had to experience that, Erika. When you're on vacation, the last thing you want is added stress. I apologize that our response was delayed; we wanted to make sure to have the room inspected by pest control to confirm the source of the bed bugs. I assure you this experience is out of the ordinary for us. While we always fully inspect and clean every room after each guest, bed bugs travel fast and can come from a variety of sources when guests are coming in and out of the hotel all day. I'll be sure to stay on top of this in the future to make sure we do everything we can to minimize opportunities for bed bugs in our hotel. If you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate to be in touch.