“The zoo was fair; the food great!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 54 attractions in Oakland
Type: Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A 100-acre zoo that contains 58 exhibits of more than 400 native and exotic animals from around the world, which are represented by 100 different species.
Turlock, California
“The zoo was fair; the food great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My sisters and I brought our families to the zoo. Our children ranged in age from 1 year to 23 years. We all love animals so we enjoyed the exhibits. We spent most of our time at the childrens zoo. The little ones loved the frogs- I must say the blue poison frog was my favorite. We all loved the fruit bats- amazing!!! We rode the tram across the zoo! It was exhilerating!!! Hold on to your slip on shoes before you leave. Remember, once you get on, you are committed to an appoximate 20 minute ride as my 9 year old niece found out who cried for 15 minutes. She didn't appreciate the height.
The kids all enjoyed the ride area. Everyone enjoyed the little train that took us to the "outback". We had lunch in the Island Cafe. The food was delicious! We had the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever, awesome chili cheese nachos, fabulous coffee, etc. Everything tasted homemade. We've all been to many zoos, so to compare this zoo to others, as far as exhibits and activity we felt it was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, it was a fun family place.

18 attraction reviews
“In town for a veterinary conference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a behind-the-scenes tour of the zoo, and everyone was so wonderful! The caretakers are kind, knowledgeable, and in-tune with the animals. The animals seem very well cared-for and content. I loved the tortoises and the sky bucket ride!

Oakland, CA
4 attraction reviews
“Better than SF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This zoo is great. Located in the hills of Oakland, you can see tigers, bugs, snakes, bats, and lions. My favorite are the primates.

It's not depressing like the SF Zoo.

Visited June 2012
Danville, California, United States
“Fun with Children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have been tere many times. With my children and with my childrens class. A great size not to big. Love the train ride

Lafayette, California
10 attraction reviews
“Reawakening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I first came to the zoo as an infant - then as a young adult and when I became and adult I brought my favorite "little people" - wow - it has evolved and I'm so proud that my hometown of Oakland has so much to offer as such a rich experience for youngsters and their elders alike.

Been to Oakland Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Oakland Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later