“Delicious food, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #83 of 1,047 restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Tapas
San Francisco, California
“Delicious food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I tried this restaurant with excitement since I haven't found many places that offer Spanish cuisine in the Bay. I went for lunch when they opened for the day. The space is open and has a lot of windows to let in the sun. I was able to try an assortment of dishes and each one was satisfying and delicious. My favorites plates were the boquerones and the tortilla española. Both dishes were elegant and subtle and beautifully plated. The service was prompt and all the workers were really pleasant. Overall this was a great experience. I highly recommend going to Barlata and visiting the general Temescal neighborhood.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Concord, California
“Good concept, good food, service needs improving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The food was very good, but the service - not so much. Barlata is half bar, half restaurant. The menu consists mainly of Spanish tapas. My daughter and I had 5 tapas plus two deserts. This was plenty of food. Our favorite tapa was the Potatas Bravas, fried potatoes with spicy tomato sauce and aioli. Also excellent were Fideua Negre (noodle paella, shrimp, squid, squid ink, aioli) and the oxtail in red wine sauce with mashed potatoes. A sub-section of the tapas are the Latas (hence the name Bar-Lata). Lata is the Spanish word for tin can and these dishes come in small sardine-can like dishes. We had the Lata Piquillo – Seafood stuffed piquillo peppers with pimento sauce. The wine list contains mostly Spanish wines and is very inclusive and has a number of varietals and blends that you seldom see.
But the Service was not up to snuff. We came early and were one of the very first tables seated. But the restaurant filled up very quickly and the service became very slow and very disorganized. I believe that there were actually only two servers with a number of expediters. We had to wait long spells to see our server and it was very difficult to get her attention. She was good, but I think things were getting mixed up in the kitchen. One of the dishes we ordered did not come, and one that we did not order did come. And we had to ask several times at where our dishes were. But, I would come back, hopefully at a less busy time, to give it another try.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, California
“Some dishes better than in Spain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am fortunate in that, as my parents live in Spain, I get to travel to the country often and sample the cuisine in various regions.

I will not comment on the atmosphere at Barlata other than to say that whilst no place can replicate the feeling one gets when they are abroad, it does offer a nice ambience. Instead, what I will focus on is the food.

There is one dish in particular which, in my opinion, is tastier than any restaurant I have tried in Spain! Incredulous I know but believe me!

Gambas y Alioli is one of the most ubiquitous tapas in Spain. Yet many places there serve the smaller shrimp and boil or lightly pan fry it in the garlic and olive oil. Barlata uses the larger prawns and adds a concoction of spices to the frying process. It delivers a spicy, piquant flavor that will have you soaking up every last drop with your bread!

The best thing I can say about the menu overall is that they taste authentic and a couple of others are quite notable (e.g. Fabada, Oxtail, Paquillo Peppers). They are also able to prepare and serve small paellas quite quickly, which is no mean feat.

If they were in walking distance, I would be eating there at least once a week!
One word of caution - do not sit near the doors if you are susceptible to drafts!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland
“Great spanish tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

First of all, there are not many spanish places in the East Bay ( and by that I mean spanish from Spain, it seems that people tend to think that spanish food can include mexican?!) but, it is not only, there are not many to compare it too but it is really delicious.
Barlata has improve their food from some years before, it has great full bar but it is a little too noisy...I love their fideua nera ( black noodles )

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Blue Hill, Maine
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We ate at this Spanish tappas and paella restuarant last night and were very impressed. A little noisy, but iwith a happy atmosphere. Four of us with a $37 bottle of wine totalled $131 which included 5 tappas to share, 3 desserts and 4 coffees. Not bad. The food was fully seasoned but not over-spiced. We tried things we had not had before, suc as pigs feetand were delighted with it all. The waitress made wonderful recommendations.
Yes! Go there!