“Chic elegance and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Commis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,066 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Nearest Bart Station: Macarthur Taxis are often available outside the station for a quick ride to our restaurant.
Description: Commis restaurant serves a cuisine driven by modern and classic culinary traditions and is composed of ingredients that are grown, harvested, and foraged from the land that surrounds us. We offer a nightly coursed menu. ***If you or your dining companions have any food allergies, please note them when completing your reservation. Allergies will be accommodated with a spontaneous vegetarian preparation. Thank you for helping us best serve your party. THE CHEF'S COUNTER SEATING OFFERS A FRONT ROW VIEW OF OUR OPEN KITCHEN AND AVAILABILITY FOR THE COUNTER IS MANAGED DIRECTLY BY THE RESTAURANT.
Durban, South Africa
“Chic elegance and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently went to Commis for the first time in a group of six friends. Comis is a small restaurant and the store front does not sport a sign. You have to "know it is there". The interior is minimalist and chic, with a nod toward natural materials and sleek lines. The menu is a "secret tasting"; that is, you get a multi-course (7) meal but the menu is given to you at the end of the meal. Luckily, the restaurant accommodates food preferences and allergies. We had a vegetarian in our party and this was no problem. The food is small bites, beautifully presented. And the flavors are a cross between California contemporary and fusion. I liked it all very much, though my husband and I tend to eat this sort of cuisine, so I didn't find it particularly unique. Perhaps I have had these kinds of experiences too much? Also, the fact that we were with a big group had pros and cons; great environment for lively conversation but I couldn't concentrate as much on the gustatory experiences as I might have liked. The service was attentive without being overbearing and the wine list was impressive. I would certainly go back; perhaps this time with a smaller group so I could focus more closely on the food itself.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco, California
“A feast for all senses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our anniversary dinner at Commis was one of our finest dining experiences ever. The food was very nice, but what made the evening so special was the service, the dialogue, the visuals. The portions were not large, but each was presented with charm and great sensibility. Talking with the wait and cooking staff was an absolute highlight. Each dish was accompanied by a narrative -- and it was fascinating and fun. I'm absolutely looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

One of the best chef's tasting menus we have experienced. A bit downsized from the typical 13 course $120 price tag for a tasting menu, this $75 (plus a very reasonable $45 wine pairing) menu left me feeling very satisfied yet comfortable. Each course was exquisite, definitely earning their Michelin star. The room is very unassuming and narrow, the service attentive and the wine descriptions very informative. One should note that the tasting menu is the only option and you don't see the menu before the meal so each course is a surprise.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ny,Ny
“Worth a trip across the bay to Oakland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Although I have had better food experiences with molecular gastronomy, this was one of the more enjoyable. We spend New Years Eve at this tiny restaurant, and for once we didn't get a menu especially for the occasion. The eight or so courses were tiny but I appreciated that, and all were tasty. The wine pairings were very nice, and well suited to the cuisine. I would go back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, California
“A unique dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was a birthday dinner courtesy of my other half. Each night there is a $75 fixed priced set menu consisting of 10 or so small courses, each unique, including elements of molecular gastronomy. The food is painstakingly crafted and so presented beautifully. It's worth splurging on the $45 wine pairing. The service is attentive and gracious. It's a bit of a splurge, but can't wait to come back again.

• Visited December 2012