“Great food - but pretenious” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Commis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 1,134 Restaurants in Oakland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Nearest Bart Station: Macarthur Taxis are often available outside the station for a quick ride to our restaurant.
Description: Commis restaurant serves a cuisine driven by modern and classic culinary traditions and is composed of ingredients that are grown, harvested, and foraged from the land that surrounds us. We offer a nightly coursed menu. ***If you or your dining companions have any food allergies, please note them when completing your reservation. Allergies will be accommodated with a spontaneous vegetarian preparation. Thank you for helping us best serve your party. THE CHEF'S COUNTER SEATING OFFERS A FRONT ROW VIEW OF OUR OPEN KITCHEN AND AVAILABILITY FOR THE COUNTER IS MANAGED DIRECTLY BY THE RESTAURANT.
Danville, California
“Great food - but pretenious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I love great food. My friend told me about Commis a while ago and I was intrigued. We decided to take a friend, who is a gourmet chef for her birthday, since we knew how much she loves good food. I was excited to finally try it out. I let them know we were celebrating a special birthday.

The hostess was charming when we came in. The food was great - like everyone else described: innovative, creative and fantastic. The lamb dish was my favorite and perfectly executed.

The service was like the stark design. Don't get me wrong. They were professional and orchestrated their moves. But we found it lifeless and pretentious. I am not sure what experience they wanted to provide but it was as though they were doing us a favor by allowing us to eat their great food. It was stiff and as my friend said "it matched the stark walls." For me, part of going out is the experience and not just the food.

It would have been okay. We were having a great time celebrating when we were told we needed to leave since they have a party of 6. They had another table for us but never took us there. Totally ruined the evening.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco
“Great Meal, Relaxed Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I went for a birthday event with my husband and daughter. We got both the food and wine pairings. Every dish was really good, some were knockouts that I still think about, and only a couple of the 12 or so courses weren't in the memorable category. The service was attentive but not cloying or overblown. The wine pairings were excellently selected. The setting is casual and minimal which I enjoyed. My only criticism was the table tops which weren't particularly nice wood and we missed the softness of tablecloths which would have helped a little with the noise from nearby tables. The restaurant isn't terribly noisy though compared to most. The attention to the food, its quality, and its freshness was evident. This is a true BARGAIN - for the quality of the food at this price. We probably wouldn't do the wine pairing again as it added up for 3 of us and we could have gotten a couple good bottles of wine but I'm not complaining. GO and Enjoy.

• Visited December 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Excellent food, presentation and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I had never heard of this restaurant until recently and was very pleasantly suprised. This must be the best kept secret in the East Bay. We sat at the counter which borders one side of the kitchen. It was great fun to see how each dish was cooked, ingredients mixed and plated with style.

The menu is pre-fixe and the five course meal is $68, plus a wine pairing is available for $42, which I think is a bargain for what you get. Particularly since GQ magazine named it one of the ten best resaurants in America this year.

There is no sign but it is not hard to find. Just a couple doors down from Bay Wolf.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Monaco
“Top new Californian cuisine in a minimalist trendy setting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Californian cuisine at Commis is really excellent, especially the fish. You will quickly forget the+/- poor environment outside the restaurant. Be careful: there is no name on the front of the building! Good wines but Sonoma/Russian/Napa under represented. Service is efficient. If you need a cab at night, book ahead: we had to wait for 40 minutes! Reservation is compulsory.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland
“Always Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the wonderful FOH staff (Sarah!) to the consistently great food - a meal at Commis is a treat to the taste buds and a peaceful and calming journey for the soul.

Thank you, James, for caring so deeply about what you do and having such high standards. An evening at your restaurant is a treasure.

• Visited May 2011