“Attention foodies: Skip SF and hop over to Pican in Oakland” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pican is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 1,132 Restaurants in Oakland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: 19th Street BART, Oakland
Danville, California
“Attention foodies: Skip SF and hop over to Pican in Oakland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great menu with unique southern cooking. Go for the sweet potatoe fries. The burgers are an unconventional fusion of flavors. If you are in Oakland, go there for lunch. Since I there for a business lunch, cocktails were out, but the bar area looked inviting and romantic.

• Visited February 2013

Oakland, California
“Classy High End Southern Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful ambience, flawless contemporary Southern cuisine. Louisiana focused. I can't think of an equivalent place in SF, certainly not San Jose. Top notch service, Jill served us and made the evening a little more fun.

New York
“What a nice surprise, warm hospitality in the heart of Oakland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I made reservations here for a business group at the insistence of a local client. I didn't know what to expect initially, given the description I got, but was very pleasantly surprised from the get-go. From the moment we walked through the door to the moment we left, there was warm, Southern hospitality and delicious food. Although I didn't partake, the extensive collection of special bourbons was really interesting. The food....an elegant twist on good ol' Southern comfort food. The she-crab soup was rich and flavorful -- better than Charleston. I also had the catfish entree which, while I expected to be fried, was actually grilled and delicious. It was perfectly spiced and was excellent with its accompaniments. My business colleagues ate fried chicken and a number of other special items. Even the vegan was happy! The service was fast and friendly, couldn't have asked for a nice experience.

• Visited January 2013
Oakland, CA
“Didn't disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was looking for a place where 8 old friends could get together to share a meal and conversation. I was also hoping I could find a restaurant that would showcase Oakland's spirit and rising stardom in the restuarant world and thought Pican would fit the bill.

On the negative side, when I called for the reservation, I felt put off by all the warnings to "be on time", "let us know at least an hour in advance if some in the party will not be there", and we can only divide the check 3 ways." It certainly did not feel welcoming, and when I got a call from them 2 hours before the reservation to make sure we were "still on", it reinforced the feeling that we weren't trustworthy enough to dine there.

However, once we entered the door, the experience went from bad to delightful. The atmosphere was understated and welcoming the food delicious, and the noise level quite tolerable for a large and busy establishment. I asked our waiter for recommendations on both food and drink, and he was spot on with both. Every one of the 8 of us was happy with the food we got (it's upscale southern), and our server was charming, attentive, and knowledgeable.

I would have rated them excellent on everything had it not been for all the negativity on the phone.Hopefully, they will learn to do abetter job on this, because otherwisw, I loved the place and will definitely go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
El Sobrante, California
“Excellent Food and Great Drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The good at this restaurant is excellent. I've eaten there at least 10 times in the last year and each and every meal has been wonderful. Great service and a wonderful bar menu too. It's not to be missed.
The food is southern and the bar is all about bourbon!

• Visited November 2012