“And I am not a sushi fan!” 5 of 5 stars

2251 Broadway Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ozumo - Oakland is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,064 restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Grand Avenue
Transit: 4 Blocks from 19th Street Bart Station.
Los Angeles, California
“And I am not a sushi fan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am not a fan of raw fish, and Joey doesn't eat fish at all! But my cousins chose the place for their wedding celebration, and we had a wonderful meal and a great time. The decor was contemporary and beautiful. There were many different areas to choose from - the bar when first you enter, a room with many tables to the right, and behind the bar area a large dance floor area in front of the open, sushi kitchen area. I don't know the names of the various dishes as we had them chosen for us, but the food was good!!

• Visited November 2012

96% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“After a long search”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

After walking around the blocks of our hotel looking for an Thai restaurant that did not use MSG we asked advice from a group at a small bar "where can we find a place that does not use MSG in Oakland?". We were directed to Ozumo (Sushi/fusion/Japanese) theme Restaurant.
It was wonderful! Fresh, nice atmosphere, good wait staff and inovative dishes. We happen to get there during happy hour, which made the price reasonable. Every dish was good! I find when traveling happy hours can be a good sampling of the restaurants menu without breaking the bank.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good Tastes. Small Portions. Average Value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a dinner visit here on work travel. This is a higher-end restaurant with unique food choices. The food presentation was incredible! The atmosphere was great. The flavors were very good. However, as with most high end restaurants, the prices were on the higher end and I left the restaurant still hungry. Eat here for reasons other than to get full. I would return, but not often.

Concord, California
“great japanese inspired cuisine with fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Ozumo is at the epi-center of Oakland's new Uptown restaurant and nightlife district and is also one of the three top restaurants in the area. My Daughter and I dined here and had a really great experience. We first had drinks in the bar/lounge followed by dinner in the dining room. Service throughout was exceptional and we really appreciated the friendliness, information, and recommendations from Jessica in the dining room. Ozumo is a large place with several seating areas and I believe all sections could be considered romantic. The food is Japanese inspired and there is a large selection of Sushi and fish dishes, but also much more on the menu. Our delicious entrees were the Jindori (roasted chicken with Ponzu Butter) and the Gindara (Black Cod). The Spider Roll (soft shell crab) was excellent. There is a really extensive Sake collection and the various Sake flights are interesting and informative. If one wishes to learn about Sake, this is a good place to do it. Ozumo also has a very good wine list. There is a vibrant bar scene, and the restaurant usually gets crowded on the weekend, especially First Friday when the Art Murmer takes place. That is a very festive time.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“You pay for the atmosphere, not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Their entrees are nothing close to generously portioned. Ranging from $20-$60 an entree and all you get is something that looks good. Presentation is key, but arent portions as well? I will definitely not be coming back here again. Service was ok, but only one shrimp came with my soup. One lousy shrimp! Id rather go to my usual hole in the wall sushi place.