“Excellent authentic Mexican food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington
San Francisco, California
“Excellent authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Located across from the Jack London Square multiplex theater, this gem serves some of the best Mexican food in the East Bay. Everything is homemade and based on the owner's parents recipes. The mole is incredible as are the corn tortillas, chilie verde and rellenos … just like you will find in the best spots south of the boarder. The room is a bit industrial and warm is not a word I would use to describe the atmosphere. But the place is spotlessly clean and the food is superb. We will be going back.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Concord, California
“Good Mexican food at Jack London Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My daughter and I dined here at 5:30 on a Tuesday night, not realizing that it was Taco Tuesday (A taco bar with great prices). However we ordered dinner but, because of the hour, could order our drinks and appetizers from the Happy Hour menu. We tried some unusual –to us – dishes and were quite pleased. We had an appetizer consisting of three Ceviches – salmon, tuna, and shrimp. One of our entrees was the quarto moles, chicken breast in 4 different mole sauces. The other entrée was Tamales de Puerco – corn leaf tamales topped with braised pork ribs. There is also a very interesting drink list. The place was hopping due to Taco Tuesday and live music. It got crowded in a hurry. On other nights it might be quieter. Service was okay, but not spectacular.
There is a very nice outside seating area at the side of the restaurant. But, in front, trains run right down the center of the street causing some noisy interludes.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chico, CA
“Wow - What a Gourmet Mexican Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

My wife and I recently had a quick dinner at their Jack London Square location in Oakland, CA. It looks family-owned and operated and the menu focuses almost solely on recipes from Jalisco, Mexico.

Open 3 years.

From start to finish, everything was off the charts! Think 5 star restaurant serving Mexican theme food.

Great atmosphere and an attractive menu started our meal off on a nice note.

Had an Ahi Tuna ceviche that was fantastic. Large enough to be an entree for someone not too hungry. Lots of fresh Ahi, peppers, onions - great juice and sauce. Outstanding.

Homemade tortilla chips and salsa were provided promptly.

I had boneless beef short ribs while my wife had chicken enchiladas. Both dishes were visually gorgeous and the food was very high end. No cheap Mexican combo plates here - everything was very well crafted food. Some of the best Mexican food we've ever had (including numerous places in Mexico).

Next time, we're going after one of their 4 Mole dishes - 4 different Mole recipes from different family members.

Last -- full bar, nice beer selection and wines were - just OK.

All in all - we walked out of there asking ourselves, "Where did that place come from?" and "Wow - what a find."

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florida
“Excellent food and service, not your typical mexican cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I am not normally a fan of mexican food, but the selections on the menu here are unusual and the execution is perfect for my taste. The staff are top notch from the reception to the servers to the kitchen. I have always gone with a larger group and the staff have executed flawlessly. I always look forward to having a meal here.

• Visited September 2011
Kitcat22
“Go to Cocina Poblana Emeryville instead!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My friend's dinner was OK. I had chicken with their pumpkin seed mole. The chicken was overcooked to the point that it was hard. The mole was bland. I'm a pumpkin seed fan, and this didn't even have much pumpkin seed flavor. I talked to the waiter about ti, hoping he would make it easy to return it to the cook. Nope--he kinds shrugged it off. There didn't seem to be anybody of capability and competence around. And since it was nearly closing time, I opted to just get out and cut my losses. Why waste time AND money?
Their chips and salsa are tasty!

• Visited May 2011