“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairview, Texas
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I were vacationing in Santa Rosa and decided to stay over in Oakland the evening before our flight back to Texas. The hotel is very clean and updated. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the curtains and linens were color friendly. The air conditoner was also quiet which I greatly appreciated. One Con is that there was no continental breakfast offered for the guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Thai first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed here for a weekend during a transition to another hotel. This really is a nice hotel. I got a 2king bed suite for $100 a night, and this room was so large I could have had 3 or 4 more ppl in the room and we still would have not been crowded. The beds were great and the room service was nice. The pool and exercise room was also very nice and enjoyed them both.

Now, the food was bland and the maids do come way to early. Also, at night the staff acts incompetent like they are new on the job, but what can you say. I also didn't really enjoy all the folks in the lobby during a training in one of the conference rooms. It was like going through a crazy maze to get out.

Also, if you do want a room, don't call the hotel, go online to holidayinn.com because they have the cheapest prices.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Beautiful hotel with a great staff and a wonderful location. But, the walls are so thin you can hear the conversation next door without even trying. I used my earplugs which I always carry so I could get some sleep. Too bad they didn't insulate the walls with some sort of sound proofing material.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts about your recent stay at our Hotel. We pride oursevles in listening to what our customers are saying about us and take action when we can. Because of this we have taken steps to correct the issue you encountered during your stay. We have just completed soundproofing the rooms that had sound issues, inspite of being a new Hotel. The last thing you want to encounter is not being able to get a good night's sleep.
Again thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and I hope you will try us again.

Regards
Tom Buckley
padres444
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Got into town past midnight, and had a little bit of a problem finding the hotel. Found out when I was checking in that they had run out of rooms (no joke), and I was instantly being upgraded to a suite for a five night stay.

The GOOD- This hotel is brand new (bartender told me a year old), free parking and free WIFI, free shuttle to BART, airport, or stadium, King size beds, LCD tv's in room, and the restaurant in the lobby has great draft beer choices and the food is not expensive at all.

The BAD- evening and late night staff seem slightly under-trained, there not much within walking distance of the hotel, AC in rooms is incredibly loud, housekeeping comes very early in the morning.

Overall, this is a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Summary:

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during our road trip through California. I researched hotels in downtown SF but couldn't find anything reasonable (quality for value) so we decided to take a bet and stay in Oakland. This hotel had good reviews and I decided to go with it.

It paid off very nicely. The hotel is indeed very nice, comfortable, clean and quiet with free parking (as compared to paid parking in SF). The commute to SF is literally 20 - 30 minutes to any point in SF and since we were out all day, the overhead was very reasonable. There were two detractions.

The first was the front desk staff. I reserved ahead of time through Priority Club but they didn't have the room I was promised (two King Beds). They did offer to provide two rooms though and work out a deal. I didn’t take them up on it since at that point I no longer needed that arrangement but whoever checked us in gave me the impression of being a bit clueless and didn’t inspire much confidence. Word to the wise, make sure to follow up an online reservation with a phone call to confirm.

The other detraction was the lack of WiFi in the rooms. They only had wired Ethernet and since I didn't have a cable on me I wasn't able to log in.

Details:

* Parking: Free and ample parking.
* Small Fridge: Quiet and cools surprisingly well.
* Location: Very close to highway exit.
* Lobby: Very clean and presentable.
* Room Cleanliness: Room is very clean.
* LCD TV: Very large screen and very good picture.
* Hotel Interior: Very clean, presentable and elegant.
* Bathroom: Very spacious and clean with walk-in shower.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ashland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I agree with the other reviews regarding the quality of the rooms: they are new and gorgeous. However, the front desk staff, particularly in the evening, is indifferent, and incompetent/poorly trained. I stay at hotels 200 nights a year, and am Gold, Platinum, or Diamond in all of the hotel programs. I do not expect perfection from Holiday Inn front desk staff--but I do expect competence. The management of this property should be ashamed that they have such an absolutely gorgeous new facility staffed by such poorly trained people. The staff is an incredible disappointment given the beauty of this new hotel. Shame on Holiday Inn!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Having just returned from a stay at this property, everything should still be fresh in my mind….I booked a room here for a 2 night stay while in town attending-working some Oakland A’s games at the nearby Coliseum. And yes it is very nearby, most likely 5 minutes or less from the parking lot to the parking lot at the complex.

Upon arrival it is very evident from the outside that the groundskeepers do an outstanding job on the upkeep, on every side of the building..there is also plenty of parking.

Check in was easy, as everything was in order, and I received the room I requested with 2 kings…yes, I said 2 king sized beds…Every thing in the room was very nice, the bedding, the towels, the flat screen TV…even had a refrigerator and microwave. The room was also very quiet, the walls are well insulated. The hall ways were very nicely decorated as well. My only complaint was that my room only had a full size shower, no bathtub, and the floor of the shower creaked with every movement.

The hotel has a sports bar-restaurant, a nice patio for having drinks outside in the sunshine and a small pool for the kiddies…We had some drinks each night after the ball park, however, don’t plan on having a drink after 1030p at night, even on the weekend, as the male bartender was more interested in getting out of there each night, doing a last call even though there were still ample customers in the bar….there are lots of TV’s in there with Hi-Def programming, and the food I had there was also very tasty and well presented by the friendly wait staff.

The hotel also has a nice work out room, free wireless internet, and a 2 work station – 1 printer business center. It also has large meeting rooms, as well as 2 shuttle vans that will take you to the airport, BART station for a quick trip to the City, or to the ball games.

I highly recommend this property if you ever have to stay near the Oakland Airport or Coliseum

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!