“Great stop over hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City
“Great stop over hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night each coming and going from Hawaii. The hotel is quiet and very clean. We picked it for the convenience to the airport (shuttle was very fast with pickup and drop off) and they have a restaurant. Food was fine and service good. We had our 22 month old with us...they have cribs rather than pack 'n plays and kids eat free - both nice perks. Would stay here again and recommend!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Thai first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice because our flights departed early in the Am and came in at midnight. They have a shuttle from the airport that is free and they are very nice. When we came in at midnight, we had to wait 35 minutes for the hotel shuttle. They were right on time the rest of the times, We had two king size beds and the rooms are comfortable. They have a restaurant bar and it is good. I would stay here if I had flights out of Oakland. I would not stay here for pleasure as I don't like Oakland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Below are my complaints about my overpriced room, along with the reply from IHG. Reader..beware!

----------
EMAIL TO IHG
Hi: My wife and I stayed at a property last night and wanted to
>write in. We do not usually complain. However, for our 15th wedding
>anniversary we splurged on a number of nights with IHG. Last night though
>we spent the most for any night of our current trip, $261, and expected a
>lot since we spent a lot more than usual. The property was in nice
>condition, the bed was great, and it wasn't neglected as a property.
>However we were disappointed with a number of things. We only mentioned a
>few things to the desk staff, and decided to write in to you, since the
>desk staff didn't seem very interested in listening to us. Of all the desk
>staff only one seemed very interested in us. 1. On arrival, we were
>greeted, however the agent then answered a call and never got back to us
>for 5 minutes at least. She didn't even say she was leaving the desk!
>Finally we got some help to check-in. Maybe she was having a bad day, she
>seemed pretty uninterested in us. She didn't acknowledge my Platinum status
>or seem to care that I'd spent $261 to stay. I know rates can be high, but
>it would seem to me they should care a little bit that I chose to stay
>there. 2. When we reached the room we received an immediate call asking why
>we had called for room service, which we had not. Strange! 3. We found
>leftover food still in our microwave. 4. We were given a gift bag, which
>had a bottle of water, a cheap $.50 bag of cookies. It would be more
>professional to leave 2 bottles of water in the room (after all I was there
>with my wife!), and forget the cookies, they cheapened the experience. I
>have stayed at far, far more at hotels where I've $50/night and appreciated
>us and treated us far better! 5. Usually I stay at Holiday Inn Express,
>this time I chose Holiday Inn Suites, but I'd have to say that the Express
>hotels have always treated us better. Is that a branding weakness, or just
>this property? 6. We went to breakfast, and while I understand it isn't
>always free, I thought it was for Platinum status. However, I could be
>wrong. I am always offered it at the Express brand. Anyway, it was a
>disappointment since we paid so much and didn't even get breakfast. I would
>rather wait for your direct response instead of writing negatively on
>TripAdvisor, which is bad for the hotel. I also write for a travel blog
>with 14,000 readers and do not want to post
>negatively about IHG, since I do value your hotels and generally have
>always had good experiences with IHG. I welcome your reply or feel free to
>call me. Keep in mind that I am traveling overseas Wednesday, Oct 16, if
>you did decide to call. Email reply is fine also. Thanks for your interest.

--------------

REPLY FROM IHG
I just read your email and wanted to take the time to apologize for your experience.

IHG Rewards Club® Platinum members are our most valued customers and we appreciate your loyalty to our hotels, as well as your honest feedback. I regret that your hotel stay was less than satisfactory and that hotel staff was not able to meet your expectations. As soon as I read your email, I immediately notified hotel management so they can prevent this issue from happening in the future.

Moreover, please be informed that only our Holiday Inn Express hotels worldwide offer complimentary breakfast. Nevertheless, other IHG brands have in-house and near-by restaurants where guests can take their meals.

I hope your next stay with us exceeds your expectations.

All the best,
Guest Relations
IHG

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear jeremyandbindi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your experience with us. We would like to follow up with you directly and have sent you an additional email. We have also shared your comments with the staff to ensure a more positive experience in the future.

Thank you again for leaving your feedback. We hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you.

Adrian D.
IHGCare
VANCOUVER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Holiday Inn H&S is really good for staying 1-night. It is worth to use IHG 20K points per day. Moreover, It located near airport and free shuttle bus is available. It take lee than 5 min from airport.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service was good. The room was typical Holiday Inn. Nothing special but nothing to complain about either. The work out room was good. But no free breakfast. For the cost of this hotel it is not worth it, but then again, all hotels in this area are overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear rhelgintravelor,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the rates that we offer. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
IHGCare
Reedsburg, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a family reunion in the area; stayed here again for 1 week (stayed for family emergency in March 2013), and location & hospitality was great!. Another family member shad a room there also, and she loved it. Reunion in Alameda, close to Oakland airport for pickup of different family from all over US, and the staff & amenities of this place are wonderful. Good food in sports bar, staff GREAT and accomodating, and I would recommend this hotel again. We had a mini pool party with some family, and they plan to staying here next time they are in the Bay area instead of the place they stayed at (different hotel in airport area). Pat - you are the best !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed on Sunday night after Oakland Raiders game. Great shuttle service to the coliseum and back after the game. We were to call to get picked up afterwards, but the van was already on site waiting. The hotel is very close to the airport. Room was comfortable and clean. Small microwave and fridge in the room. The restaurant "Diamonds" was good - pricing was reasonable and the steaks we had were decent enough. Sign up for the brand loyalty program before you reserve a room. We got a bottle of water and package of cookies, plus 10% off at the restaurant. If you are a Raiders fan the hotel seems to do a great job catering to you. All staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. Quick check out early in the morning.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors - so if you like limited noise, go high