“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Cruz, California
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here after seeing an Oakland A's game. It was a nice clean comfortable place to stay. Everything was in good condition and well maintained. Staff was friendly and a nice but basic buffet breakfast was included. Not walking distance to anything but a close drive to many things. Would be a good place for a park sleep fly. After reading reviews I was pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel off and on for a long time. The staff is amazing, engaging, they remember me and are always extra nice. Front desk always welcomes me by name, the restaurant/bar staff are great - though the menu could be better- and the housekeeping staff even helps me practice my Spanish.

The location isn't great unless you're catching a flight but the amazing people who work here make up for it.

My only bad experience was recently, I came in from a long day with colleagues and we sat at a table for over 10 minutes without any acknowledgent. Our table was being serviced by the bartender and he was running around very busy and was extra nice once he made it over and everything was fine. What stuck out to me though is that the manager stood at the end of the bar and never once lifted a finger to help. He couldn't even be bothered to bring us some menus. Watching someone stand around while customers are becoming visibly irritated and not step up to help is extremely rude.

The rooms are great, not much of a view but what do you expect near the airport. The pillows could be better, otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. This hotel in most every way meeting the IHG standard of hotels. What's better when you're traveling than a little consistency and recognition?

• Stayed August 2013
Fremont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This review would have been a 5 dot had I felt that your manager actually was there to hear the great things I had to say about the employees working hard and taking such great care of me and the other guests who were sitting at your hotels great bar.
This property is the only one that is easily accessible to the airport with a restaurant and bar that stays open past ten which is why I was willing to pay a premium rate to stay on a Wed and have the airport be 2 minutes away.
Your front desk staff was top notch as well, friendly and knowledgeable, quick and efficient. I think her name was Kristin? I only peeked at her name tag, I may be wrong, but she was polite and efficient at check in, even making sure I got a feather pillow instead of the lumpy ones that were on my bed.
I did utilize the restaurant, its a great amenity by the way, and your night bartender Lana? again I should have looked closer to verify her name, was smiley and engaging, and even though she was busy at the bar and I think she had several tables, she took the time to check on me when I got my food and made sure my beer was getting refilled before it was even empty. I like that I didn't have to ask for another, she asked first. She seemed to know everyone by name which I thought was pretty cool. Even though I only told her once what my name was, she called me by my name the rest of the night when addressing me. It really WOWED me that she made that effort. I was so impressed by your staff that I wanted to take the time to tell someone, but there didn't seem to be an actual manager available. Lana? said she was the bar supervisor but that the actual restaurant manager had gone home already. That seemed odd to me that your busy bar and restaurant at 730 pm didn't have a manager on duty. I stopped in a week later to grab a beer coming back from my trip around the same time and your manager was there but was standing around not helping just kinda staring at staff and then left again when it started to get busy, I am going to repeat this he LEFT when it was getting busy!. I asked your sever Rebecca if that was the actual manager I saw standing around and she said yes. Really? your property seems to have a really good thing going and although your staff seems more that efficient and are obviously doing an awesome job at running the show, you should have a manager available to talk with your guests. If I had had a major complaint while utilizing your restaurant who would have been there to take care of it? No one at the time could have and that is just straight neglect to me on your part. Your staff should have a supportive manager not someone who stands around and then leave at the busiest time of the night.

I hope you take this review to heart because I loved the hotel and your staff but I could see a lack of a supportive active manager in your restaurant impacting your business significantly.

I will return soon because of your great staff and accessibility.

Room Tip: Ask for a feather pillow! much better than the ones on the bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Roddyag,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We are very appreciative that you felt our staff service at the bar and Front Desk was excellent. We assure you that we are committed to delivering quality in all aspects of the guest experience and appreciate your feedback. However, it is of great concern that you were not satisfied with the service you encountered with one of our hotel staff. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our room was nice and clean. we were relying on the Bart for going into San Francisco, the hotel's free shuttle was great but this hotel isn't close to any dining. we walked about 2 miles to a Quiznos near Wal Mart. it's not a great area to be walking around. it's also the first time we've stayed in an airport hotel with no dining within walking distance.
We arrived late and they put us on the "day sleeper" level which is 3 (top floor). it was so nice because it was quiet.
The shuttle as i said was great. reliable. easy to use and a phone call away. tip the driver even if it's just for the BART.
We opted for this over the Holiday Inn Express because we didn't need the breakfast for an extra $11 a night. looking back it may have been a good idea since there isn't anything around as far as restaurants go.
It was a good rate for us as we stayed a couple of nights (first part of our trip) and used the BART for seeing San Francisco. We stayed at another hotel for our last 2 nights (after spending days on the coast) because this one was $30 a night more than when we first stayed.

Room Tip: if you like a quiet location during the day and most of the time then ask for a "day sleeper&qu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We flew into OAK at night and stayed here overnight before heading out to Wine Country the next morning. I was really happy with our choice. The hotel is just minutes from the airport so we took the hotel shuttle over and back to pick up a rental car the next day. No sense spending $350 or more to stay in Napa when all you’re doing is sleeping.I had no safety concerns staying here. Of course I wasn’t walking around at night or anything, but we had no problems and never felt unsafe.

The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. Any time there was even one person in line, someone behind the desk would immediately jump to help them. How often do you see that these days? Everyone we met seemed genuinely interested in making sure that we were happy and no one had the attitude “Sorry but that’s not my job.” The people in the restaurant were also super keen to make sure that we had everything we could want. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast with made-to-order omelets, fresh juices, and just about anything else you could want.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Not sure if there were many people there as it was a Wednesday night, but we didn't have any problems with noise. My husband used their small gym and enjoyed his workout.

One tip is that you need to call the hotel from the airport if you want the shuttle to come pick you up. They don’t just run all the time like the parking shuttles do.

This is not a luxury hotel, but it is an excellent value with great customer service and a convenient location to Wine Country and sporting events. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Holiday Inn and Suites (not to be confused with its sister property, the Holiday Inn Express located next door) is probably the best hotel near the airport. It's new, modern, clean, and the rooms are huge. It's my preferred hotel of choice when staying in OAK, but it's not quite perfect.

Most of the rooms features double king beds, making the rooms themselves quite large. Like most Holiday Inns, they feature Bath and Body Works toiletries (the shampoo is fantastic for washing clothes in the sink while you're on the road), plush towels, hairdryers, and irons. Being a newer hotel, it's designed with a plethora of available plugs for all your gadgets, located both on the nightstands and the desk, so no having to move furniture around to find an empty outlet.

The beds are extremely comfortable, but like all Holiday Inns, I'm simply not a fan of their "firm" and "soft" pillow concept. Let's be honest--it's impossible to tell the difference between the two, and all of the pillows feel like hard lumpy mounds. All of that aside, if you shove enough of them together, you can make something that is reasonably comfortable to rest your head on.

Each room also features a refrigerator and a microwave, which is fantastic if you want to store leftovers or heat a quick meal in your room. There's also a small market in the lobby that sells miscellaneous snacks and easy-to-prepare meals that you can make in your rooms.

The hotel also boasts a nice laundry facility so if you're ending a trip and don't want to go home with a suitcase full of dirty clothes, you can knock out your laundry quickly and cheaply.

The restaurant is just ok. While the food is good enough (I do recommend the breakfast buffet--while pricey, the waffle station and omelet bar make it worth the money), the staff can be very hit or miss. Many times they seem unhappy or act like the customer is an annoyance. I get that people will have bad days, but it seems more often than not that they're always having a bad day. I'd take it personally, but they seemingly treat everyone that way. The reception staff is similar in their attitude. A smile can really go a long way--sometimes I just want to apologize to them for staying at their hotel while I'm checking in.

Stay here for the nice amenities and great rooms, but skip if customer service is your top priority!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tom B, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent visits at our hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoy the property and the amenities here. Being your "favorite OAK" property, I was saddened to read that some of our staff have not lived up to your Customer Service expectations at the Front Desk and the Restaurant. I will bring your review to our next staff meeting so the team members in the entire hotel understands that a sincere greeting, smile, service, and "thank you", makes the difference in keeping customers returning.
Again, thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope we will see you again soon,
Redding, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Iyana (or something like that) is working. On Wednesday July 24 2013, she basically ignored everyone at the bar except for her friends in the corner so that she could complain to them about how tired she was. At least three other people including me got up and left. It was unbelievable.

I've been here before for beers and a burger. The place looks good and has decent food, but one worthless employee like this can ruin everything. Maybe she should quit this job so she can get some rest. I hope the Holiday Inn management will take some action. I will be contacting them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tom B, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at our Diamonds Sports Bar last week. On behalf of the Hotel and the team at Diamonds Sports Bar, I apologize for the lack of attention and service you endured. While no business likes to hear negative reports, we (businesses) all need this type of feedback to improve or fix situations where our guests are inconvenienced or disappointed.
I will be discussing your particular situation with the Restaurant Manager and the rest of the Hotel Team in our weekly meetings to ensure this type of behavior is eliminated.
Again, thank you for your patronage and I sincerely hope you will visit us again when your future travel plans includes our Oakland Airport area.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!