“Partiers and Pizza Guy ruined my night” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rathdrum, Idaho
“Partiers and Pizza Guy ruined my night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I would like to pretense this review by saying that I rarely write negative comments and reviews regarding where I stay.
I spend over half of my life in Holiday Inns across the country and normally do not have a problem with them, otherwise I wouldn't spend $25,000 a year staying at them.
The good notes for the property is its a very close location to the airport and the rental return center. The interior was very nice as it is a newer property and the rooms and lobby were kept very clean.
What destroyed my stay was two fold: There was a lot of guests there for an event down the street and they were clearly in the area to go to a holiday party. I asked the front desk person if they could put me in a corner away from other guests as I had an early flight to catch. She said since I am a platinum member, she was able to upgrade my room to a place where she said people wouldn't bother me.(I would hope they would do this as a courtesy to any guest making the request!)
This was a very untrue statement on her behalf. All night people were yelling, running up and down the hall, drunken arguments were being held and people were talking and shouting very loudly in the room next to me. Little was done on behalf of the staff to curb this. So with my headphones in I was finally able to fall asleep. I was woken up at 2:56 AM to very aggressive knocking at my door. Loud.....almost hostile knocking. I'm not new to the game so I didn't answer my door and called the front desk. He claimed that someone ordered a pizza from my room and it was probably the pizza delivery guy. I went to the door and opened it, obviously just waking up and in nothing but my boxer shorts and told him that I didn't order a pizza and to please leave. The pizza guy got upset, even though I was polite (besides the fact that I was just in my underwear) and told me that someone ordered from my room and I had to pay for the pizza. I told him that he woke me up, I had an early flight and NOBODY but me was in the room or had ordered a pizza and to talk to the front desk. He leaves and as I am just falling asleep again the front desk calls my room to verify that I didn't order a pizza and with a very uncaring apology hung up the phone. I couldn't fall asleep again as the partiers had not quit yet and I just stayed up until I had to leave for the airport.
The only consolation was that one of the party goers was in the parking lot aggressively throwing up and I found a $20 bill in the parking lot as I was getting in my car. Normally I would probably turn it in, but I justified that I earned this one.
Another things is avoid the stores after about 9 pm...its not the best neighborhoods...this isn't the properties fault at all and it seems like their security is alright from outsiders wandering in (as long as it isn't a pizza guy).
Staying in Holiday Inns across the nation this was hands down the closest experience I have had to getting a room at a travel lodge in a crappy neighborhood. Not the expectation or standards I expect from this chain at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Mr. Cameron, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us in October. I apologize that you did not get the rest that you needed for the early flight the next day. As a result of the issues we have read in the tripadvisor site we have reviewed our procedures and assure you we addressed those concerns about how we handle unruly customers and vendors that serve our customers.
Again thank you for your time.

Tom Buckley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Thai first
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel, and chose it because it was near the airport with a free shuttle. I was not expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I arrived at the airport and immediately found the bank of phones by the front doors to call the Holiday Inn. A quick call, a very short wait, and the driver was at the airport to pick me up. He was friendly and efficient.

Check in was also friendly and efficient. I was assigned a nice room with two king beds and plenty of space. It was clean and comfortable with a fridge and coffee maker. I can't recall if there was a microwave, though I think there was. The bed was soft, which suited me. Climate control was not too loud. No unusual noises in the room; the room seemed to be well sound insulated.

The hotel itself was nice looking with a lively crowd in the bar. I did not stay long enough to fully explore the hotel, as I arrived at 7ish and departed the next morning before 10.

My only quasi-complaint was the room service. Shortly after my arrival, I ordered a hamburger and french fries from room service. They told me it would be about 25-30 minutes. More than an hour later I received a call asking if I had received my meal. I had not, but was distracted by my book and hadn't noticed the passage of time. Good thing. Apparently my meal had gone to someone else's room. Within 10 minutes I had a hamburger and french fries delivered to my room free of charge. So, while they made a mistake, I feel that this complaint is only a quasi-complaint because they made it right. Room service breakfast ordered via the card hung on my doorknob was delivered exactly at the time ordered and was better-than-average room service fare.

The next morning, the hotel shuttled me to the car rental desk to meet my co-worker. Shuttle was ready and waiting when I needed it. No complaints.

Overall, I would not hesitate to book this hotel again when I need to stay near the airport. In fact, it's very likely that I will be back soon.

Menifee, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel was booked as part of a group northern california tour. I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn for quite awhile. To my surprise I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived about 8pm. The hotel and grounds were very well kept. The staff was exceptionally accommodating and courteous. The room was clean, fresh and comfortable. The breakfast buffet had a great assortment of coffee, tea, muffins, and real breakfast food, i.e. sausage, eggs, etc.

If I would have booked the hotel for the tour I would have probably overlooked this hotel based on the fact that sometimes hotels close to airports are hit or miss. However, if travelling back to the San Francisco/Oakland area I WOULD stay again. For those doing college visits the location of the hotel proximity of the hotel was very good. We hit Pier 39 that evening and headed out to Berkeley and Stanford the next morning.

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

When we arrived we called for the shuttle to pick us up, they said it would arrive in 5 minutes. We called 3 times after that. The shuttle showed up 55 minutes after we first called. It was the last shuttle to arrive out of all of the hotels. The hotel is 1 minute away. They had no excuse. They just said sorry. The shuttle could have been around 10 to 20 times by the time they picked us up. We stay at an airport hotel, so we can get in and out quick. It took 1 hour to pick us up. Don't stay at this hotel. It is more expensive than the ones around and the worst service ever. We asked for a room that wasn't by the elevator. Guess what? They gave us a room by the elevator. I stay in a million hotels. I have never had this bad of service in my life!!!!! This is my first review I have written. STAY AWAY!!!!!! They don't give a crap what you think either!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear 1Vacationqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you found our location suitable enough for your needs. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding our airport shuttle service. I wish to thank you for bringing this matter into our attention as your comments as have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for review.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

What do you expect? That's what you get... Close to the airport, far from anything else. I used this location to attend convention in San Francisco when all rooms were sold out in SFO. took about 40 minutes to cross the Bay Bridge into the city from here.

The rooms were:
Clean
Comfortable
Holiday Inn...

Slow Internet and WiFi speeds.
Parking limited.

Room Tip: It's a Holiday Inn... Fits the corporate standard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My best friend and I stayed here the night before her flight. We wanted to visit San Francisco and weren't sure the best way to do it from Oakland. The staff were very helpful in explaining the BART system to us and dropping us off and picking us up from the BART station. The staff, and in particular this one guy (though I can't remember his name) offered us many tips for seeing as much of San Francisco as possible in our limited 8 hours. Our beds were comfortable and the rooms were very quiet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years and each time it has been wonderful, the staff is always helpful and willing to go out of the way to make your stay great.
it is the perfect place to stay if you are a oakland sports fan. they will take you to and pick you up from your game. the resturant and bar are also very good.if you are in Oakland for any reason this is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!