“Want to Stay by the Oakland Airport? Then this is your place.” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Want to Stay by the Oakland Airport? Then this is your place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay here on two different nights during long, planned layovers at the Oakland airport. Our criteria for these two nights were a clean, affordable room at a hotel with an airport shuttle - we were pleasantly surprised to receive that and more!

On both nights, we arrived into the Oakland airport late and simply called the hotel to have the shuttle sent to the airport. Each time, the shuttle arrived within 5 minutes and we were on our way. When we walked into the lobby, we were welcomed into a newer Holiday Inn that is reminiscient of other new Holiday Inns I've stayed in during the past couple of years. However, I did like the local touches in the lobby - the aviation-themed photographs were a nice touch. Check-in was smooth and, as Priority Club members, we received a complimentary gift bag filled with a water and package of cookies.

Our room was quite roomy, it was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. We found on both nights that the hotel was quiet, so we were able to get a good night of sleep before continuing on our travels. We didn't eat at the restaurant given our short time at the hotel, but we did get coupons to try out if we had wanted to eat there.

Overall, this is a very nice Holiday Inn that exceeded our expectations. It was ideal for us transiting through the Oakland airport and looking for a quite, comfortable place to stay. And, compared with other Bay-area hotels, it was incredibly affordable. We'd definitely stay here again if we find ourselves with long layovers at the Oakland airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed here with our 12 year old son for one night at the end of a skiing holiday as we were going to a baseball game at the nearby Oakland A's stadium. It is a new and fairly large hotel next to the airport. Our room was small but well furnished and clean. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. Can't say anything about the restaurant as we did not use it. Despite its closeness to the airport and how busy it was, the hotel was quiet and well run. Ideal for a night if you have an early flight or if visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
De Pere, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We initially were booked at the Holiday Inn Express and changed hotels after the first night due to weather and not wanting to be crammed into a little room. Holiday Inn exceeded our expectations! We had a great room that was comfy and clean. The hotel was so clean and the staff always went above and beyond. We spent a lot of time (and money) in the bar area and had breakfast each day as well! We had such a great time and would surely stay at this hotel again when we come back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We landed at Oakland Airport at 11:00pm, and wanted a hotel close to the airport so we didn't have to drive far so late at night. The hotel was super convenient to the airport, and very easy to find. Check-in was a breeze, staff was very nice. Hotel was modern and clean, and I loved the fact that the rooms have two queen beds - a big plus. Had a complimentary breakfast in the morning. Food was fine. I had the eggs benedict, which actually had a very nice presentation (I asked for the hollandaise sauce on the side, just in case it wasn't good, but it was quite nice). Coffee was served lukewarm, but our waiter was fine about bringing us a new pot. Would definitely stay here again. Even though the hotel was near the airport, it was very quiet.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I found this place to be mediocre. Staff was actually pretty good, but that was the best part. The restaurant on premises was dreadful. Food was not very good, and the service in the restaurant was really bad. The waitstaff talked happily amongst themselves and ignored me time and time again. Each time I needed something, like a refill, a check, salt and pepper, etc. I had to flag someone down. I ordered pasta which came without any bread. So I asked if I could have a piece of bread. They brought me an order of garlic bread... and charged me for it.

Room was ok. Bed was fine, although the pillows were small and not very comfortable.

Shuttle to OAK was prompt with a polite driver. If I have another early flight from OAK, I'd either stay elsewhere, or eat before checking in here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
tbuckl4, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Oakland. It is important for us to hear in what way we can improve on our service. I have discussed this with my Team and have addressed these issues.
I would like to offer you a complimentary meal the next time you stay with us as we think we can do better.
Please email or call me at your convenience

Regards
Tom Buckley/GM
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed here evening before an AM flight. Like doing this when it is a longer flight so that I am rested. Hotel is close to the airport. Less than 10 minutes in the AM shuttle the hotel runs to the airport. Hotel has several shuttles running and will pick you up from the airport or the BART Coliseum startion. When we were going to the hotel, they picked up some other guests that were staying at the hotel and commuting, so that is also doable from the hotel, but I personally would not use this hotel for that purpose. I'd rather stay closer to where I was going during the day, but this is not a bad option.

Check-in was OK and as agreed. Hotel is clean and you don't hear the airport noise. Many channels on the TV. There isn't much around the hotel. Theoretically, you could walk to a restaurant, but it would be a long walk. Front desk does offer some local menus to order in food.

Breakfast wasn't so wonderful from my perspective. Bagels and bread offered weren't so good and the coffee was weak. I'm not so picky about breakfast, so this says something. Internet connection in room worked well.

Really, after all of the superlative reviews this place has received, I was somehow expecting to be more "wowed" but did not come away with this feeling. Some of the January reviews, and I'm not thinking of the New Year's one, talk about this too. That said, this was fine and OK and I was rested and relaxed for my AM flight,

I will say that now knowing how well the Bart and Air Bart runs, unless I am staying on the otherside of the Bay, I would just take the BART in the AM next time unless the flight is truly an early AM one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a Holiday Inn, so of course it's not a "five star" hotel. BUT! what wonderful service, etc.

We were planning to fly out of the Oakland airport before dawn the next morning, so returned our car to the airport the evening before. Holiday Inn came to the RENTAL CAR center in five minutes flat and brought us straight to the hotel - van driver was pleasant, courteous and helpful. In the morning, we got an "on demand" shuttle a 4:30 a.m., and it was right there on the spot. Again, helpful and courteous.

In addition: the double-bedded rooms have TWO KING SIZE beds! Who ever heard of such a thing?! Very nice indeed.

Lastly, there's a sports bar/restaurant downstairs. Not high end, but no fewer than six beers on tap including microbrews. Food acceptable if not gourmet.

Only down side: thin walls. Neighbor was watching TV and talking in a normal tone of voice, and we could hear him.

For the price, you can't beat the value!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!