“Type of visit; horrifying.” 2 of 5 stars

Sierra Sky Ranch
50552 Road 632, Oakhurst, CA 93644   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
UK
“Type of visit; horrifying.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Although the hotel wasn't dirty it's dated ethos made me feel some what unclean. This is the kind of hotel that your 'crazy friend (the one with the weird dress sense, & thinks fairies are real) will refer to as a 'quirky must stay' the place has a small zoo attached with an array of cats rolling around the place, from the check in desk to the hallways as well as the bear covered fleeces & cowboy boot keyring is simply worth the stay. The rooms here make you feel like you are in a tent in Yosemite village, the doors don't lock properly, and that air con unit is set to a nice 65F to make sure you stay climate ready! If your still not enticed perhaps the beautiful acoustics the door has or the half painted bathroom decor will really add to your must stay list. The family that run and own this hotel are clearly nice people however this shouldn't be a hotel, more a b&b style stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

If you're looking for a place to sleep at night and to be left alone to lounge on the porch and laze in the sun, this is the spot. Not a lot of staff on hand to tend to various needs, but we used our room mainly as a place to sleep at night after hiking in Yosemite. Breakfast was good but options are limited; eggs, potatoes, a croissant, ham, and really ghastly coffee (food was good though). Room was nice, albeit small, but opened up onto a lovely verandah with tables and chairs overlooking an expanse of perfect lawn and trees. Would be interesting to come here in high season to see how the bar/restaurant operates. It never was open during our 5-night stay. The huge cats are a delight if you like cats and, contrary to what an earlier reviewer said, we never sensed a hint of cat odor or found ourselves buried in cat hair. One downside is the drive to Yosemite Valley, which takes awhile; but the price is great for the area and it's only a couple of miles from central Oakhurst for restaurants, etc.

• Stayed April 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The sky ranch was a suitable place for an overnight visit. The saloon bar and resturant were perfect and could not be faulted. The accomodation was good and the hosts were well acomodating. They even started up the open fire for us. Would stay again due to the warm friendly hosts. A little out of town but ideal when you have a car.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Moneil5844 (disappointed) has it about right really. I will say straight away, if you have a cat allergy then stay somewhere else as there were 6 felines wandering the halls.
I know that the place is old and that was one of the reasons for staying there but there is old and well kept and old and unkempt. This place is not a complete disaster but does need somethings doing. The rooms are small and there are no hairdryers. There are also no wardrobes, which is a complete pain if you are staying for more than one night. The heating did work in the room that we had but it was very noisy. Get rid of the old tv's and the monsterously sized tv cabinet and chuck a flat screen on the wall and a wardrobe in the corner.
Bed was too soft and would have caused havoc on my back if we had stayed any longer, personal preference I know but that's what reviews are for.
The restaurent was ok but we ate better in Oakhurst at 'Pops'. Also the bar was open for only a couple of hours when all you needed was the guy on reception to wander down and get you a beer if you wanted one.
Didn't try the pool as it was outside and cold but it was nice to know that it had one.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Overall, strangely, I liked this place and would stay here again in a heart beat if the rooms were refurbed, otherwise I would stay in Oakhurst, which I strangely liked also.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lockport, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We were there early in the season but the place was unkempt. The registration area smelled of cat urine. But the most disappointing was the size of the room. When I rolled out of bed I was in the bathroom. It had a very musty smell, and all the furnishings were old and worn and smelly.no remote for tv, no hairdryer in room
The 2nd morning when we woke
It was 57 degrees in room. Thermostat must not work.the staff was very friendly,however this place needs a big influx of cash. It has great potential.

• Stayed April 2014
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have been going to the Sierra Sky Ranch for over 10 years, taking my students there twice a year for their overnight field trip. I have never been disappointed, from the staff, food or accommodations. I think most people forget this is a 150 yr old former ranch, hospital, Army R&R, dude ranch, private residence and resort, renovated to keep things current yet not too modern as to destroy the historical significance of the place. It is not the Hilton. I've been to many hotels, from inexpensive to luxurious and they all have their problems, poor food and service, rude staff and yes, even bed bugs. All hotels have them at one time or another. What is more important is how the staff deals with these problems and I will say the SSR staff are always polite, helpful and accommodating to assist their guests in whatever they request. As for the food, I have never been disappointed or had something returned whatever I ordered. One simply needs to ask what sides are included to know what to expect. But I know, if I had to return a meal because it wasn't what I thought it should be, I would still be treated with courtesy and respect. So to 'Arrested State of Decay", I say again, it's 150 yrs old and not the Hilton and I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with the resort and probably will never go again. That's good news for me, I will have a better chance of getting a room when I visit in the near future and I get the best sleep ever.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Like the ghost town of Bodie, CA, this place is in a state of arrested decay. Weeds abound as well as dust bunnies, bed bugs in one room (discovered 22 Mar 2014), and many things that don't work. Visiting the ranch for a paranormal investigation, we had hoped to have copious amounts of coffee to sustain us during our stay. No such luck. Retiring in the not-so-early hours of Sunday, 23 Mar 2014, I turned on my room's thermostat. Lots of noise, no heat, and a brisk 59 degrees greeted me when I got up at 8:40 later that morning. Bed linens were distressed, with my two pillowcases being turned inside out. I checked for more bed bugs, didn't find any, but did sleep fully dressed under the covers.

We ate at the Branding Iron for dinner. What was described as "porkloin with peach brandy sauce" was in actuality anemic pork chops. Ugh. No thanks. We were offered sides of beans or vegetables, and choices between rice and spuds but we weren't offered anything else except some delicious bread. No dinner salad, no corn bread, none of the other offerings described in the restaurant's menu.

This place creeps me out and I don't mean the spirits.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!