“Amazing ranch on the tip of Yosemite!” 5 of 5 stars

50552 Road 632, Oakhurst, CA 93644   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing ranch on the tip of Yosemite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friends and I stayed here in July 2013 and loved it! So much charm and history plus lovely helpful staff. The lodge, the setting and the food were all fantastic. The staff were great, advising is on where to go in the park, making provisions for early breakfasts for us and even helping with our car troubles! We would certainly recommend this place to anyone. Thanks Sierra sky ranch!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Last visit was about a month ago and had such a great time just came home from my second visit. Awww it was so relaxing, the weather was beautiful and most of all the SSR felt like home! Leaving was the hardest part of the weekend. Two great dinners in their restaurant and the service was top notch. Michelle went out of her way to make sure we had two lovely evenings. She knows how to make a great cocktail and most important the glass never had a chance to get empty. My new favorite appetizer is the peel n eat shrimp. The staff was amazing, friendly and very accomidating. I loved seeing their cats and John Wayne certainly felt at home in our room. Ted was gracious enough to take us on a tour of the ranch and telling stories of the history...peaking into rooms that I can see in my future. Down to basics...I slept like a baby both nights, the beds are super comfy. The weekend was fun, relaxing and very peaceful. I can harldy wait for my next visit. Thanks SSR!

Room Tip: All rooms have a deck which allows you to almost have an extra room. When the weather is this beaut...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Really peaceful and relaxing stay. Owner, manager and all the staff we encountered were charming. Or first impression of the hotel was that it could do with a bit of a refurb and a coat of paint but it's quite amazing how quickly you settle in.
The area is so peaceful and the setting is lovely. we had a Bunkhouse room. Big with a seating area and a swing seat outside which was pleasant to sit on of an evening. Hotel has plenty of history which we found fascinating and is only just outside Yosemite so easy to drive in. Oakhurst has a good selection of shops/restaurants and is only 4 miles away.
Attached restaurant was really good, great food and there is a complimentary continental breakfast.
During our trip to California I stayed in some real 5 star places.....but strangely enough the best nights sleep I had was here....would definitely return

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Bunkhouse'....nice views over the meadow and large room but would have pre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

As we approached this hotel, guided by our Sat Nav, we genuinely wondered if we were at the right place! The faded paint on the rather ramshackle building surely wasn't the hotel we had reviewed and booked? Only after we noticed the sign for the Office were we convinced that we had arrived at the Sierra Sky Ranch.
This hotel is a strange place with its cramped dark rooms, coarse woven bed and pillow covers, faded and in some places rotted woodwork, but it also has a kind of charm that tends to make it appealing. Features like the long shared balcony, where you can sit out after a meal, with a drink and watch the wildlife or in my case the stars. Other common areas would be marvellous in winter where guests could gather around the fireplace and share their experiences. The dinners served in the restaurant are huge and come with corn bread which is worth trying.
The facilities in our room were ok, but also came with an annoying set of idiosyncrasies. The refrigerator placed by the side of the bed was annoyingly noisy. No net curtains on the windows meant that you couldn't throw open your curtains in the morning, as other guests were likely to be passing by your window. This place suffers from the same lack of adequate WiFi coverage that I have experienced throughout this trip and finally there is only a single coffee machine which produced scalding hot but generally tasteless coffee in one of the lounges. Breakfast consisted of the usual American take on continental, waffles, bagels, English muffins etc etc. The orange juice was good though.
You can't help feeling that this place's glory days are behind it and it is desperately clinging onto a former reputation. It is need of some investment to bring it up to standard that warrants the charges that it makes. It's redeeming features are its restaurant which produces some good, if quite expensive, food and its close proximity to Yosemite of course.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Normally, I never write reviews, but I loved this hotel so much I felt compelled to write a review to let others know about this gem of a place. My kids and I stayed there for two nights (July 1st and 2nd) while we explored Yosemite National Park. It was such a peaceful, relaxing place to come "home" to at the end of the day. The staff are extremely friendly and down to earth, allowing you to feel at home. They even called me to let me know that they had located my daughter's lost glasses! We absolutely loved the pool, veranda, and the community rooms with all of the interesting furniture and rustic stonework and wooden beams. My daughter loved the cats and fell in love with Moo, a beautiful, full figured black and white cat. I especially loved the setting of the hotel with the surrounding meadows and mountains in the distance. I got my binoculars out each morning and watched the black phoebes, western bluebirds, acorn woodpeckers, etc. from the veranda.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked the Sierra Sky Ranch for a wedding weekend and had about a dozen couples/families stay overnight, and a lunch reception for 50. We could not be more pleased with the way everything went! The Sierra Sky Ranch is the perfect destination for large groups to meet & mingle. There are so many large comfortable public areas people can gather and talk, from the cool lobby area with the awesome antiques scattered everywhere, to the large shared balcony. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. Every inch of the Ranch is full of character and the atmosphere is so charming and country you can't help but relax and put your feet up! It is also very family friendly. The rooms vary in size, some are a bit cozier than others, but that's to be expected in a historic hotel. If you need a little more space, you might want to mention that when you make your reservation and I'm sure they could accommodate you if you let them know in advance! Our bed was super comfortable. The woodwork and details were incredible for pictures throughout the weekend, you won't get that type of visual interest in any modern Vegas-type hotel! The food in the dining room was amazing, the new Chef, Frank, goes above and beyond, meeting and greeting the diners. The pool was clean and tons of fun. We will be back, and many of our guests will be, too!

Room Tip: Rooms in the bottom of the main house are larger and cooler.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My friends and I spent a girls weekend away here and had a great time. The place is very charming and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed the quaint atmosphere. We were greeted each morning by one of the adorable cats, Valentine. We were able to relax by the pool and enjoy the quiet. I have recommended this place to others and look forward to future stays there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!