“Yosemite Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 11 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Yosemite Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Normally, I never write reviews, but I loved this hotel so much I felt compelled to write a review to let others know about this gem of a place. My kids and I stayed there for two nights (July 1st and 2nd) while we explored Yosemite National Park. It was such a peaceful, relaxing place to come "home" to at the end of the day. The staff are extremely friendly and down to earth, allowing you to feel at home. They even called me to let me know that they had located my daughter's lost glasses! We absolutely loved the pool, veranda, and the community rooms with all of the interesting furniture and rustic stonework and wooden beams. My daughter loved the cats and fell in love with Moo, a beautiful, full figured black and white cat. I especially loved the setting of the hotel with the surrounding meadows and mountains in the distance. I got my binoculars out each morning and watched the black phoebes, western bluebirds, acorn woodpeckers, etc. from the veranda.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We booked the Sierra Sky Ranch for a wedding weekend and had about a dozen couples/families stay overnight, and a lunch reception for 50. We could not be more pleased with the way everything went! The Sierra Sky Ranch is the perfect destination for large groups to meet & mingle. There are so many large comfortable public areas people can gather and talk, from the cool lobby area with the awesome antiques scattered everywhere, to the large shared balcony. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. Every inch of the Ranch is full of character and the atmosphere is so charming and country you can't help but relax and put your feet up! It is also very family friendly. The rooms vary in size, some are a bit cozier than others, but that's to be expected in a historic hotel. If you need a little more space, you might want to mention that when you make your reservation and I'm sure they could accommodate you if you let them know in advance! Our bed was super comfortable. The woodwork and details were incredible for pictures throughout the weekend, you won't get that type of visual interest in any modern Vegas-type hotel! The food in the dining room was amazing, the new Chef, Frank, goes above and beyond, meeting and greeting the diners. The pool was clean and tons of fun. We will be back, and many of our guests will be, too!

Room Tip: Rooms in the bottom of the main house are larger and cooler.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My friends and I spent a girls weekend away here and had a great time. The place is very charming and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed the quaint atmosphere. We were greeted each morning by one of the adorable cats, Valentine. We were able to relax by the pool and enjoy the quiet. I have recommended this place to others and look forward to future stays there.

Holland, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

When we arrived at the Sierra Sky Ranch, after a four hour drive from San Francisco, which followed a six hour flight from Philadelphia, we were ready to be cool and take a nice shower. After checking in, Nick showed me to our room where the temperature in the room was 85 degrees. Not believing that the room would cool off by the time we would go to bed, which was in about an hour, I asked to see another room. The next room available was one that had a leaky shower that needed to be stuffed with a towel. When I asked Nick if they know the showers leaks, why don't they fix it. Nick said that it was costly and the return on the fix was not in the budget. Not exact words, but that was the gist. Nick showed me another room which was bigger put had a floor AC unit that was not near the bed and was not cool.
I decided to take a chance on the first room and eventually the air did cool off the room. However, when I went to use the towel in the bathroom, it was literally shredded at the bottom. I went back out to Nick who said "they aren't supposed to put these in the room". I received a new towel went on my way. The next morning, my partner used the other towel after her shower, and it had a big hole in the middle.
The breakfast was very nominal and I made a waffle that did not taste right so I spoke to the young lady who was working the breakfast and she took the waffle mix back to the kitchen. I did not eat anything else at the breakfast or the next day at the breakfast. The restaurant was closed while we were there on a Sunday and Monday night. On the up side, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, Nick was very nice in trying to help with another room, and the area fairly quiet.
Ok, now you might think that I am really being picky but...the carpet in the lobby was really dirty and I was just grossed out as I walked through to the restaurant area.
This place has the potential to be a fantastic lodge, great location and lovely scenery, but they really need to put some work into it. Charge a few more dollars if needed but put some money into it. I stayed in the Lodge at Yosemite Falls after my stay here for nearly the same price and it was so much better.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front of the lodge and make sure the AC is working.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Absolutely stunning hotel. Clean, comfortable and brim full of character!! Beautiful rooms and lounge area. The staff were extremely helpful with advising us on our trip into Yosemite. The steak house was epic, the chef was really friendly!! Generally a great place to take solace from the snow!! Just stunning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a lovely ranch in a lovely position, we stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting Yosemite. What a good choice, although its 10 miles from the park entrance ($20 for a weeks car pass, there's nothing cheaper) it is worth it for the terrific relaxed atmosphere, and the old timber ridden rooms. Lovely cosy amenities, and a great restaurant with really friendly staff make this a must for your park experience!!!
Just be warned, if this is your 1st trip to Yosemite park, be aware that once you've paid and driven through the entrance, its another 35 miles drive through windy roads before you reach the visitor centre, but the road is very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Holyoke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We found this gem of a motel on the last day of our vacation and we wish we had been there all week! We loved that our room (all room) walked out onto an amazing veranda. We spent hours relaxing on the veranda, reading and watching the woodpeckers, magpies, and hawks play and hunt in the grass and trees out back. There's a creek out back for fishing with the kids and the cook will even cook up the fish for the kids for dinner. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms clean. Rooms are a little small but if you are spending time in your room your crazy! The common areas and verandas are the places to relax! Our night here was 100 times better than our 3 day stay at the pricy Tenaya Lodge down the road. You'd be crazy not to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!