“Very Disappointing Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 11 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Holland, Pennsylvania
“Very Disappointing Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

When we arrived at the Sierra Sky Ranch, after a four hour drive from San Francisco, which followed a six hour flight from Philadelphia, we were ready to be cool and take a nice shower. After checking in, Nick showed me to our room where the temperature in the room was 85 degrees. Not believing that the room would cool off by the time we would go to bed, which was in about an hour, I asked to see another room. The next room available was one that had a leaky shower that needed to be stuffed with a towel. When I asked Nick if they know the showers leaks, why don't they fix it. Nick said that it was costly and the return on the fix was not in the budget. Not exact words, but that was the gist. Nick showed me another room which was bigger put had a floor AC unit that was not near the bed and was not cool.
I decided to take a chance on the first room and eventually the air did cool off the room. However, when I went to use the towel in the bathroom, it was literally shredded at the bottom. I went back out to Nick who said "they aren't supposed to put these in the room". I received a new towel went on my way. The next morning, my partner used the other towel after her shower, and it had a big hole in the middle.
The breakfast was very nominal and I made a waffle that did not taste right so I spoke to the young lady who was working the breakfast and she took the waffle mix back to the kitchen. I did not eat anything else at the breakfast or the next day at the breakfast. The restaurant was closed while we were there on a Sunday and Monday night. On the up side, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, Nick was very nice in trying to help with another room, and the area fairly quiet.
Ok, now you might think that I am really being picky but...the carpet in the lobby was really dirty and I was just grossed out as I walked through to the restaurant area.
This place has the potential to be a fantastic lodge, great location and lovely scenery, but they really need to put some work into it. Charge a few more dollars if needed but put some money into it. I stayed in the Lodge at Yosemite Falls after my stay here for nearly the same price and it was so much better.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front of the lodge and make sure the AC is working.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Absolutely stunning hotel. Clean, comfortable and brim full of character!! Beautiful rooms and lounge area. The staff were extremely helpful with advising us on our trip into Yosemite. The steak house was epic, the chef was really friendly!! Generally a great place to take solace from the snow!! Just stunning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a lovely ranch in a lovely position, we stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting Yosemite. What a good choice, although its 10 miles from the park entrance ($20 for a weeks car pass, there's nothing cheaper) it is worth it for the terrific relaxed atmosphere, and the old timber ridden rooms. Lovely cosy amenities, and a great restaurant with really friendly staff make this a must for your park experience!!!
Just be warned, if this is your 1st trip to Yosemite park, be aware that once you've paid and driven through the entrance, its another 35 miles drive through windy roads before you reach the visitor centre, but the road is very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Holyoke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We found this gem of a motel on the last day of our vacation and we wish we had been there all week! We loved that our room (all room) walked out onto an amazing veranda. We spent hours relaxing on the veranda, reading and watching the woodpeckers, magpies, and hawks play and hunt in the grass and trees out back. There's a creek out back for fishing with the kids and the cook will even cook up the fish for the kids for dinner. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms clean. Rooms are a little small but if you are spending time in your room your crazy! The common areas and verandas are the places to relax! Our night here was 100 times better than our 3 day stay at the pricy Tenaya Lodge down the road. You'd be crazy not to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

18 of us from all over the US gathered at Sierra Sky Ranch for a Cousin Reunion. We were there for 5 nights and just loved the place. The staff was more than helpful and went out of their way to help in any way. Many thanks to owner Ted, manager Joey and Chef Frank to make this one of the best reunions we have had. Yes there was a few glitches in our rooms, but nothing that we couldn't overlook. The view was wonderful and we enjoyed the fire pit every night. The smoked prime rib that was served one night was the best any of us ever had, kudos to Chef Frank. We loved the rustic interior and the history, as I understand it was also once a brothel. We recommend Sierra Sky Ranch highly.

The Flacky Flecks

Room Tip: Stay in the ranch house itself
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bakersfield, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I wanted a hotel outside of Oakhurst to try and cut down on the drive time to Yosemite. The hotel was easy to find off the Hwy 41. The place was an old TB hospital and WW2 rehab facility back in the day. The grounds were well kept and the outside appearance was good. It has an onsite restaurant which we did not get to try out. It was closed the night of our stay. Our room was quaint. It was a little rough but overall clean. It had a "french door" type setting which opened out to a large porch that could be used by all guests. The bed was comfy but the blankets had some holes in them. The room had a small TV and refrigerator but no phone (not even to call the front desk). At night it is so quiet you can hear the crickets chirping, which for a City dweller makes it hard to fall asleep. The morning breakfast was a little disappointing. There was make it yourself waffles, hard boiled eggs, cereal, and some donuts. For the price of the stay I did expect better accommodations as well as a better selection at breakfast. Also, there was no in room blow dryer or iron. I had to go up to the front desk and ask for a blow dryer which is inconvenient. If you're looking for history this is the place. Otherwise I don't think I will be back.

Room Tip: I would request a room that looks out toward the back of the property. If you get a front facing pro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's an interesting place to stay. Very rustic. Not the cleanest hotel, but it still has a certain charm. This is a great place to stay with a group of friends because there is a lot of comfortable space to relax, but not much to do.

I prefer to stay at hotels that pay more attention to detail, (for example, there wasn't a single towel in the room) but Sierra Sky Ranch compares closely to other "resorts" in the region.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!