“Restaurant Service By Laura” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Oakhurst
Batavia, New York
“Restaurant Service By Laura”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Thanks to Laura in the restaurant , my husband and I were able to enjoy the first few nights of our trip to Yosemite in a laid back and friendly atmosphere while we relaxed with the margarita I was craving after the LONG drive through the park. We happened to stumble upon this restaurant after driving back and forth on the main road and realized that it may be the only one open, but it also was the most inviting! We were right!. After getting the margarita which was well worth the money because it was very tasty and good quality-not cheap sour mix- we were able to relax at the bar , but yet feel like we were also a part of the entire restaurant and it seemed that others felt the same, thanks to Laura. She was very friendly and seemed to make everyone feel like they were at a big family dinner, yet still intimate with their family, spouse, etc at the same time. Laura was so inviting that we went back the following day, which happened to be my birthday. Once Laura noticed we were back to dine that evening, she saluted my birthday by singing Happy Birthday and even got the lovely couple next to us to sing along. It was very sweet and inviting again. Also provided us with a slice of cake after our YUMMY and WELL PRESENTED AND COOKED meals. We once again chatted with Laura that evening as did EVERYOTHER table and had a great time winding down after another long day of hiking.

We returned three nights later (thinking Laura was there because I thought she said she was going to be) to enjoy our last night before heading to San Fran to find not only a different waitress/hostess/bartender, but also a DIFFERENT atmosphere. It was quiet and somewhat uncomfortable-no one was talking or seemed relaxed. It was brighter and slower service (since we were just at the bar again I felt like I wasnt as important) but what really ruined it for me was when I asked if Laura was working . The answer was "no" but when I said "aww we came to say goodbye-we were in on Sunday & Monday" her answer then with an eye roll......."ohhh and where was Laura that night". Needless to say.............we did not spend anymore money there that night! Not sure what she meant but i KNOW that she meant it to be rude. And that sad part is that I believe she is one of the owners...NOT GOOD SERVICE and personally-she was boring and awkward and could not provide the same service and atmosphere Laura did. Thank you Laura! You did a great job being the only worker in a busy place while also being friendly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Good value for the money. Very reasonable price for our room. We couldn't find affordable lodging inside Yosemite National Park for our visit, and this property is not far outside Yosemite in the town of Oakhurst. Admittedly it's a bit of a drive to get to Yosemite Valley, but not too bad. We had stayed here previously several years ago, and the property is still well-maintained and a good option when visiting Yosemite. Spacious rooms, free Internet, discounted breakfast, and original art on the walls (I think by the owners) all make for an enjoyable experience. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We usally go up to Tenaya Lodge but because it was a last minute thought and the rates were out of sight we decided to try this Best Western. We are very glad we did and can't wait to go back. The rooms are large and clean, restaurants nearby, casino nearby and of course up the hill to Yosemite, all at an affordable price per night. We met the owner, his wife and grandson because we had a door lock issue. They and the staff could not have been more helpful in resolving this problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus for our Yosemite trip since the price was very reasonable and the location was central to restaurants. It's also not that far from Yosemite National Park. The staff was very warm and inviting. It felt like a family atmosphere. You also get free breakfast and daily happy hours which was great after a long day sight seeing. The rooms were clean and comfortable, as well. We really enjoyed the company of one of the staff members who works in the lounge/bar area of their restaurant - Laura. She was great and made our stay that much more enjoyable. Laura kept our drinks coming! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We needed a hotel room with three beds (me, my wife, our teenage son and college-age niece) for one night when visiting nearby Yosemite National Park, and this one had a terrific deal. The room itself was huge and had three queen-sized beds. Everything was clean and in good repair. Everything worked fine in the bathroom. The grounds were beautiful, and the property included several buildings nicely spread up a steep hillside. We didn't hear any noise from other travelers, although it appeared to be mostly full. I have tried to think of even one thing that could be improved, and the only extremely minor thing I could think of was that the sheets seemed a little old. That's the best I could come up with. We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After a very long drive from Lake Tahoe, which included an unexpected snowy detour across the Tioga Pass (who knew it snowed that heavily in June at 10,000ft!?!), and a 20+ mile journey down the most winding road I have ever encountered, we finally arrived at the hotel. The check in was easy and they have some little items to pick up, if needed (detergent, postcards etc). We stayed for one night in June 2012 and had a ground level floor. The decor was dated and there were a few ants here and there in the bathroom. And the sink was clogged. And the room reeked of cigarette smoke...but having done a 100 mile bike ride the day before, none of the aforementioned mattered much. The beds were clean and comfy and it was very quiet. And they had a laundry room which we really appreciated at that point in our adventure.

The breakfast the next day was fine, as you would expect from a hotel buffet. Eggs, yogurt, bagels, oatmeal, bacon, waffles etc. The coffee was great as was the service. I read other reviews that blamed the breakfast on their kids upchucking on the drive up to Yosemite Valley and I would challenge that (unless they gorged themselves). Believe me, it's more likely the winding road as previously mentioned. That means it was a very slow go to get to the Valley- over an hour. I would stay there again, if I was unable to get a reservation in the Valley. The road into the valley passes the mariposa grove which seems to be a much less traveled area of the park.

Room Tip: ask for non-smoking
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night for our first trip to Yosemite for my birthday. The property is very large and the lobby was impressive but that's where the good news ended. The rooms need upgrades. The bed cover was dirty, the furniture was old as the hills and it showed by all the damaged/scuffed areas on everything. The bed was absolutely dreadful. We woke up with a terrible backache. The popcorn ceilings still had the hanging hardware from old lamps and the lock for the door was falling off.

We went to the onsite bar/lounge which was extremely outdated but not the end of the world. The real problem was the service and the food. We sat at the bar and waited a good 15 minutes before someone appeared only to be told that they couldn't make me a drink, only serve me beer. The bartender appeared finally and made us a drink. I looked around the room and there were just a handful of patrons. The tables hadn't been bussed and there was food all over the ground. It seemed there was just one server and she seemed very stressed and overworked. The bartender was clearly intoxicated and served a patron a drink in a dirty martini glass. It had been right above my head and I could see the dust and lipstick marks. The bartender disappeared again and didn't return to check on us so I got frustrated and switched to beer. We ordered a simple club sandwich to share that was massive but it was terrible. The bacon was so well done it was as dry as a bone and nearly black. My boyfriend is pretty easy to please and even he said it was awful and didn't finish the meal.

The next morning we went to avail of our free breakfast voucher but ended up leaving and going to breakfast at another restaurant downtown. We waited for 20 min. before even being acknowledged. There were empty tables clearly available but not enough staff and clearly no organization. The waitress was serving tables AND ringing people up. The woman who was supposed to be the hostess kept disappearing into the back and was obviously flustered by the growing line of people. A customer came out of the dining area to pay her bill and announced to the line that we better make sure our breakfast was cooked properly and was clearly unhappy. She waited at the register and finally the server had to help her. She had comped one of her breakfasts but then something went wrong with the transaction so she said she had to go get her manager. She went to the back and came out with no manager. When the customer asked where the manager was she said she'd be out when she can. The customer then said well how long is that going to be? and the server replied, I don't know, whenever she is able. The manager should have made herself available and/or given her employee a better answer - not just whenever she can make it. It was ridiculous and clearly nobody was managing the restaurant very well. We left and so did a number of others. It's too bad because this could be a really great hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!