“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Oakhurst
Taylors, South Carolina
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed in room 137. Room was large and clean. With discounts, we paid ~$72 for one (weekend) night (AAA discount).
Pros: Big refrigerator, iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer, free WiFi, 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV, large shower & mirrors.
The free continental breakfast was very good. One of the better ones I've had. It included sausage links, waffles (self made), toast, pastries, cereal, juices, coffee and hot hard-boiled eggs (?). I would not consider this a "full" hot breakfast, but a very good continental breakfast. Scrambled eggs would have made this a better deal. Great value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
Jonesboro, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in September. Originally we were only staying one night but we really liked the large rooms and decided to stay another night. The staff was helpful and friendly. We had no complaints at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore area, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First of all, if you are thinking Oakhurst is close to Yosemite, you are about 30 minutes from the ENTRANCE to the park, but have to drive at LEAST 30 more minutes to reach any of the areas set up for visitors (though the drive is extremely scenic in and of itself - what a gorgeous area of the country!) Keep that in mind as you make accomodations. We were staying in Oakhurst as we left Yosemite and were heading to King's Canyon National Park the next day. As such, it suited our needs fine.

We booked ahead of time on-line. We arrived 6 PMish and pulled up around the back to see 3 construction workers (there is a LOT of road construction going on in Yosemite and along Hwy 41 at the moment) hanging out on the upper balcony, using course language and shouting down to another of their buddies that had just exited his truck next to us. I had a very bad feeling about this and determined to not end up on that side of the building. Luckily, it was not an issue, as our assigned room was facing the other direction, so I didn't even need to ask for a room change. Check-in was pleasant enough.

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. There was a big-screen TV in the room, but we didn't use it. Bathroom was clean and shower worked fine. No complaints about the room. We don't expect much from our hotel rooms - a clean place to sleep and take a shower the next day - so amenties have little factor in our choices. Wireless internet was available for free and we took advantage of that. There's a pool / spa but we didn't use it. I did think the room was on the expensive side - we spent $70 on it through Priceline; I would have prefered $50 or less.

The breakfast room is TINY - if I remember correctly, there are 2 tables for 4 people, and 3 more that will seat 2 each. For a place that has 118 rooms, that is not enough. There are additional tables outside, but in early Oct, it was a little chilly to use them at that hour. Breakfast had good options - a couple different types of cereal, fruit, yogurt, a waffle maker, a toaster, bread, english muffins. I think there was more, but I can't remember now what they were.

Summary: we would probably stay here again, but would also look at other options to find if something else was cheaper (at the time we booked, this was the cheapest option in Oakhurst).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Rooms clean and roomy, but a bit run down (especially the bathroom). Breakfast was extremely meager - either sausage or eggs (watery) but not both in the same morning. Choice of bread was bread, english muffin or small dry pastry. No choice of fruit, just small bruised apples. Close in miles to Yosemite, but at least a 30 minute drive just to the gate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Clean,large rooms for a good price (booked via internet) and close enough to Yosemite.We were travelling from SF to Yosemite,and wanted to visit the Mariposa Grove first thing in the morning, so Oakhurst was the best choice.Saff friendly,good Chinese restaurant next to hotel, we liked it, and surely would stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aztec, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here on the second night leg of our trip to the coast. Chose this place for several reasons. Dog friendly, close to Yosemity and small town charm. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is really no place for the dog to their rituals, so be forewarned. The price was average and yes not use to paying a pet fee but what can you do but pay if you take your dog.
It took us 20 minutes to get to the south entrance so we did not think that was bad. If you have a dog there are not a lots of choices, so will stay there again if we are in the area. By the way if you leave early you will find hardly anyone on the road. We left around 7 and there was hardly anyone on the road.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two days over Labor Day weekend 2012. I chose this hotel specifically because it is dog-friendly and cheaper than the dog friendly hotels closer to/in Yosemite itself. I assume most people who choose this hotel do so for its proximity to Yosemite because the town itself is a very very small town with no traveler appeal. This is why I chose the hotel, and therefore what I have focused on in my review.

So the good things about this hotel first: 1. Great breakfast in the mornings! There are nice fluffy eggs, sausage, english muffins, bread, pastries, waffles, cereal (corn flakes and raisin bran). This isn't a gourmet breakfast but it's better than most hotels that offer less than appealing breakfasts. 2. Comfortable rooms/beds with flat screen TVs. No its not the Hilton by any means but surprisingly comfortable beds. And the rooms are a good size.

Ok on to the negatives: 1. In the hotel description, it states it is located "approximately" 15 minutes from the south entrance to Yosemite. "Approximately" is used very freely here as it took me a minimum of 30 minutes each time I went, both going and returning. Since I booked this place for its proximity to Yosemite, I wouldn't necessarily call it THAT close. This is misleading on the hotel's part and I believe, used to attract people to their hotel. So I thought this was important to mention. 2. "Dog friendly" is also a stretch. First of all you have to pay $20/night to have your dog stay here. That is pricey compared to other hotel chains that charge nothing for a dog to stay. (This place is not a cheap place to stay as it is!!) In addition, you can't ever leave your dog in the room alone! That is not dog friendly in my opinion. If I need to go out to a place that is not dog friendly and I can't leave my dog at the hotel that I'm paying $20/night to house him/her there, than there is something wrong there. 3. The hotel is overpriced, in my opinion, anyway. There is nothing to do in the town that it is located in and it is not that close to Yosemite for it to be charging such high prices. It is definitely not worth $179.99/night (PLUS $20/night for my dog!!) That was what I was charged for Friday night here. Thursday night was $129.99/night but still is pricey for the caliber of this hotel. 4. The only friendly staff member I encountered was the lady who monitors the breakfasts each morning. A couple of times I had to call the front desk for questions and they were snippy, short or rude. Not the type of responses or attitudes you'd hope to get from a front desk staff at a hotel.

Just a side note: When you reach the south entrance to Yosemite, you then have 30-40 miles in either direction to go before you are actually anywhere where there are beautiful sites within the park. So you count 30 minute drive from hotel plus 45 minute drive once you're in the entrance to the park and you are not all that close to much when you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn Yosemite Area? Share your experiences!