“Nice treat at Spa Sureau, not as wonderful as the past times” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   48688 Victoria Lane, Oakhurst, CA 93644   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Oakhurst
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fresno, California
“Nice treat at Spa Sureau, not as wonderful as the past times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We love our Christmas gifts every year, gift certificates for the Chateau and Erna's Elderberry house. Both seriously amazing adventures and experiences (see my past two reviews please). This time, our gift certificate was a bit different, it was for a spa treatment at Spa Sureau (right behind the Chateau) and a light lunch inside the Chateau. Of course, I was thrilled as our past two stay's at the Chateau were wonderful. This time, something lacked. It was the luster and sparkle that was lost.

We drove up to the gates, and were buzzed in with no one greeting us or letting us know what to do. I wasn't sure if we should enter the Chateau or go to the spa so we perused around for a bit then went to the spa a bit early to check in. This time our foot bath was done in the waiting area of the spa, not the treatment rooms. I prefer the spa treatment room but it was the same foot scrub either way. The music and decor are very welcoming and peaceful. We then changed into our robes, had our foot scrub and honey then proceeded to the treatment room. We had a couples massage. I had a 90 min Basalt Stone massage and my husband a Deep Tissue 90 min massage. Both of the massages were wonderful, the therapist's were professional and friendly. I didn't care for the Andrea Bocelli music that was playing during our relaxing treatment. I could not relax. It was really loud (which my therapist did turn down after the realized it) but since it had words, I knew the songs and was focused on that rather than my relaxation. The music in the reception area would have been a better choice in my mind rather than opera. When we were done, we changed into our clothes and had the lady who assisted us at the spa walk us over to the Chateau to start our lunch.

Lunch was very delicious and we had the house tea which was so yummy. Here, the staff was not like they usually are, overly welcoming, friendly, any thing is my pleasure sort of thing, it was just like you were at a restaurant. They were talking very loudly in the kitchen with each other, which I have never heard a peep out of them in there before. They took away our dishes when we finished and didn't say a word. Like, thanks, did you enjoy your stay, etc. Really odd. So we finally decided to get up and leave, I peeped my head in the kitchen to ask one of them about something that was on our gift card we didn't receive at the spa, and it was a prompt, "you need to go back to the spa for that". Just really odd, it turned us off. So we went to the spa, dealt with that and then left.

Needless to say, we loved the gift certificate and were very appreciative but I don't think we will be back to do this specific trip again. The stay in the Chateau, yes, because it has been wonderful but I left really sad and dissapointed since we have stayed here a few other times and there service was impeccable. Its just something you would except by being here, not something I want/need everywhere I go. It was still a wonderful time, just not up to my standards of this place to rate it as excellent this time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a great place to stay!
It is though far away from Yosemite !The rooms are great( small but very very nice)!
We loved the pool and the spa!
What did not really work was the service.........very very slow...... unfortunatelly !
We had dinner at their own Gault Millau Restaurant but were not really impressed !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I felt in love with that charming little place...the service was the top the rooms was clean and nice I booked two rooms one is the elderberry room loved it also I love the other room in the lower level the furniture was nice and classic...we had dinner at erna's elderberry it was so charming and good food , I am planning to visit the lovely hotel again

• Stayed June 2013
Denville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

What an amazing experience! From the moment we arrived, the staff could not do enough for us. We were tired from a morning of travel and sightseeing, so they brought sandwiches and drinks to us at the pool. Your are made to feel like you are in your home, which is a beautiful French chateau. You truly feel like you have left the country and are in France. Everything is intimate and personal. The grounds are extremely attractive, and the pool area is perfect. The room could not have been better. Dining in the world-class restaurant is another wonderful experience. We did not want to leave.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This place shouldn't really exist. It's like a giant picked up a lovely old chateau from a French estate and then looked for the most unlikely place to put it back down. Full of old furniture and decorations that fit the place perfectly. The staff are all kitted out in old fashioned outfits and the service they give is first class. More suited to couples than families though. It's about 16 miles from the Yosemite National Park if you want stunning scenery. Or only about half a mile from Oakhurst if you need supermarkets or Taco Bell.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was my first trip to the Yosemite area, and I'm glad we chose Chateau du Sureau. Having looked at some of the of 4/5* hotels in the area, we decided that small is beautiful and the moment that we arrived this was confirmed that to us. Excellent service by all staff particularly Jan who tended to our every need from the moment we arrived to our departure.

As we set off for our day out in the park, there was a cool bag with iced water and fresh cookies in to keep us going on the journey. Little touches like that are what make the Chateau truly special.

The quality of the decor, furnishings through out the hotel were truly exceptional.

I had read on tripadvisor about breakfast, specifically the freshly baked brioche and croissants and it certainly lived up to the reviews!

Our only regret was that we didn't get longer to stay there and enjoy it more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Married couple and our 15 year old son, stayed here in June 2013. The property overall is fabulous. At first we thought we were in the wrong place given it's location so close to the strip malls of Oakhurst, but once you drive up to the gates, you literally leave all of that behind. The gardens were beautiful and views excellent. The service and staff were amazing! We loved our room, no television, nothing to distract from the simple beauty of the room itself. The bedding was so comfortable, that we had to purchase some of it for home. We had reservations at Elderberry House for that night and it was incredible. The breakfast the next morning, was so good, that we stayed for probably an hour and a half, just enjoying the slow pace and relaxed atmosphere. I enjoyed a massage at the spa - which begins with a foot bath and ends in not wanting to leave - ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chateau du Sureau? Share your experiences!