“Good food, odd service” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Fresno, California
“Good food, odd service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were staying up the road at "A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast", and came down to "El Cid's" by recommendation. It was fairly busy when we arrived (a good sign), and we were seated pretty quickly. Our server came to greet us promptly and all was going well...until the server began conversing with us. It's hard to describe it. She was kind, gave us a moment to decide when we weren't ready, and even commented on how she liked my wife's hair. But there was something very socially awkward about the whole thing.

Other than the somewhat weird interactions with our server, the rest of our stay was great. Decent Mexican food, reasonably priced, and great chips & salsa. All in all, a good find. Worth a stop if you're in Oakhurst.

Visited February 2013

• Czech first
Oakhurst, California
“Don't like spicy foods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I don't like spicy food but my husband does, so El Cid's satisfies of both. He can have the mixed plate of all things Mexician and I can have the tostada bowl without refried beans and only a hint of spice in the chicken or meat. We both think our choices are the best! Family owned - clean and very friendly. Reasonable prices and often really busy - a great place for families.

Visited January 2013
Oakhurst, California
“Best Mexican food in Oakhurst!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Best Mexican food in Oakhurst! Our Favorite Restaurant in Oakhurst! Great service! Great atmosphere!

Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Dined here 2 times. First time we had lunch and a couple of Margaritas. Wife had the Taco plate and I had the Carnitas plate. All was good and I was impressed with the flavor of the carnitas as the waiter recommended. Great salsa & chips to. We were scouting this for a dinner later in the week with our guests in town for our wedding.

The dinner for our group of 12 was very underwhelming. Had problems with the reservation on a Friday night. Service was pretty good but seating was crammed in a corner of the dining room. Oh well I understand, but there is no excuse for the less than quality food. The Carnitas were very saucy and grossly over-seasoned with salt. I recommended this dish to 2 of my guests and all agreed about that. There was no other issues that came to my attention. I was just an average dinner. I would and will eat here when I get back up there next month. Hopefully with a better report.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thayne, Wyoming
“Great service, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My parents live nearby and are regulars at El Cid's. Whenever we are in town, we usually go there at least once. We were just there and went just after Christmas. The place was packed and we did have to wait, but the hostess, waitstaff and the owner, Tony, dealt with the crowd in a very smiling, friendly and professional way. When we were seated, our order was taken quickly and our order came promptly. The food is good and the service is super.

• Visited December 2012