“Edible but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 45 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: Californian
“Edible but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I went in for burgers. The bacon on the burger was burned. Ordered onion rings because the waitress claim to be great there ok but Jack in the Box onion rings are better. The milk shake had no flavor not a hint of sweetness nothing. You have buy the fries separate the burger just comes by itself and its not cheap. Took the waitress like 10 min to take our drink order and longer for our order. Might try it again but was not too happy with our first time going.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

North Fork, California
“First time there, will go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I can't yet report on the lunch or dinner menus, but my husband and I just got back from breakfast at Pop's. We made sure to take our Pathfinder, as the diesel truck would have been very difficult to park. The parking lot is sort of an odd-shaped wedge, shared with other businesses.
Anyway, straight to the food and service! The young lady who took our orders could not have done a better job. She was not only extremely prompt and attentive, but of good humor and genuine friendliness. I asked several questions about the menu and she was happy to answer. Some places have wait staff that are clearly out of joint if they have to do anything but scribble down an order, so she was appreciated very much. At one point, I realized that I had bombarded her with so many questions that we both missed part of my order: toast, English muffin or biscuit. I think there were two types of toast. Just as I realized this, however, she came back to the booth and said, "We were talking about the orders in the kitchen and realized I didn't ask which kind of bread you wanted!" So that was nice. Also, I want to say that the booth was very comfortable. I am short, so most times, a booth tabletop seems as if it is right under my chin!

I ordered the sausage, onion and bell pepper scramble, that came with hash browns and I chose a biscuit as my bread. My husband ordered the biscuits and gravy. My scramble was very good. It had bits of sausage that were a small dice, and small pieces of green bell pepper and red onion, crisp tender. The eggs were not dry nor were they runny. The hash browns were good, but I have one big problem with restaurant hash browns -- there is nothing wrong with them, but at home, I make mine with grated raw potatoes rather than pre-cooked ones, so the texture is quite different. It's just what my family prefers. But as traditional restaurant hash browns go, they were tender on the inside and crisp and browned on the outside, like they are supposed to be.

The biscuits and gravy were ordered with the expectations and hopes that real sausage was used in the gravy. Some restaurants use a type of dry mix that has dehydrated sausage-flavored "mystery bits" and I hate that! But this was the real thing, as Pop's makes REAL food. The sausage was crumbled bulk-type, I think; a bit different than what was in my scramble. The biscuits were extremely tender and light, yet had substance, so you could spread butter and honey or preserves on them if you wished, and they would not fall apart. Best recipe ever for biscuits -- good job, Pop's!

The restaurant was spacious and clean, and warm. The restrooms were spotless, and are located just outside the entrance. Nothing fancy, but who wants to spend any more time than necessary in a bathroom? Prices were fair, coffee was good. I ordered a "small" cranberry juice and was glad I didn't order the large size because the small was plenty big enough. It was served in a heavy, frozen/frosted glass mug. The type A&W used to serve their root beer in, only somewhat smaller.

We plan to return to see what's on their lunch and dinner menus. I am thinking about trying out their chicken-fried steak!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ahwahnee, California
“GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place moved from another location, which usually means it's never as good as the old place....well THAT'S NOT TRUE! This Pops has wonderful food with much more room to serve it in. Their pricing is very good, too, and they're generous with servings. The staff is wonderful and welcoming and they have a very good menu which offers something for everyone. My favorite was their chicken fried steak, which they were well known for at the previous location...and they will soon be known for it here as well! All in all it was a wonderful and delicious evening well spent in this establishment. We'll definitely go back soon. I hear their breakfasts are wonderful as well and they open at 7 AM!! The burgers looked big and juicy.. I've got lots more to try there and haven't heard a single disappointed word from anyone who's been there since they opened. Don't know if they opened the patio area (too cold right now) and I didn't see a bar per se, but we did have wine with dinner, which was nice. Again, very reasonably priced, clean, welcoming place with great food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakhurst, CA
“Mountain Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Pop's just moved from Mariposa to Oakhurst, took up the digs of the relocated Crab Cakes. Remodeled and is most appealing. But the food is the issue. Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, all off different menus. Biscuits and gravey to burgers to chicken fried steak, all good ol' home cookin'. A great place to dine when you're not in the mood for gormet or high prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bass Lake, California
“Basic Breakfast Priced High”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Nice, clean, new atmosphere, friendly servers, fast service, edible but not delicious food. Coffee is not Starbuck's, Ortega Denver Omelet was small, thin and overcooked, Sour-dough toast was not Artisan bread-it was like sawdust, Pancake was warm. Price was too high--$32 with tip, for a basic breakfast for two.

Visited February 2013