“Just average, at least it was for me” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 46 restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: Chinese
North Fork, California
“Just average, at least it was for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I am seeing some raving reviews of this restaurant, and I am guessing that my recent visit was during an "off" night? I am assuming the man who seated us was the owner, who was very friendly and attentive. During our visit, only one other couple came in. They asked him how business was doing and he said very slow. He seemed very dejected about any prospects for a successful venture there in Oakhurst. I wish him well.

As far as the food goes, I asked about the shrimp chow mein (it's what I ordered) because I wanted to know if there was a fair amount of vegetables in it. He said, "Not very many" so I asked for extra veggies, which was an extra fee I didn't mind paying. But I bet there were only two bean sprouts in the dish! There was a lot of broccoli and carrots, neither are favorites of mine. The shrimp in the chow mein were somewhat undercooked and squishy (as they are in many restaurants) and they had an unpleasant iodine taste to them. I guess chefs are so concerned with not overcooking shrimp, they all too often undercook them, which I can't stand.

I would say the food is average at best. The rice was not good, though and maybe had been reheated a few times. But service was friendly. Very small space there. The restroom was really really old, as was the entire building. I honestly was surprised the toilet even flushed. It needs remodeling really bad. The plumbing and fixtures must be well over 60 years old. Prices for meals were all right -- nothing too expensive.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Coarsegold, California
“NO. Just No.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

OK, new owners, thought we'd give it a try. Not sure what the new owners did to the place but spruce it up isn't one of them. Ambiance is not important to me if the food is great, but No. After we sat at the table that rocked (second one we tried, they both did) on our mismatched chairs, the waiter (?) came over to answer questions, Which I guess was hard on him. And I guess the questions were hard. Like - does the egg foo young have gravy and if so what kind? No, he says, it's covered in soy sauce. Soy sauce? No, must be a language issue. Next person asked if they had a noodle dish with black bean sauce. No, soy sauce. I spoke up and said I had never heard of soy sauce used as a "gravy" since it is basically salt. The 16-18 yr old looks disdainfully at me and lets me know this is because they serve "authentic" Chinese food. Buddy, I've BEEN to China and they don't coat everything in soy sauce. We do finally get through the ordering which was torture - there were 4 of us, and after a verrrrry long wait a dish came out. A single dish. It sat for a full 5 minutes in front of the person who ordered it waiting for the rest of the food to be brought out. Here came another dish. Long story short, it took a full 18 minutes for all 4 of us to get our dishes. I ordered the egg foo young, and he wasn't kidding, it was swimming in soy sauce. Disgusting. Out of all the dishes ordered, a single dish was good - the chef special sizzling shrimp. The rest? Just say no. We headed up to Remiers for ice cream and ran in to another couple who had been at the restaurant at the same time - they had the same experience we did - poor service, awful food - hey - at least we tried the new owners. We saved you the trouble. Just say NO.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oakhurst, California
“Thank you new owners - great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Thank you Peter for bringing back good food at the New Jade Gazebo. Went there for lunch was very impressed at the quality of food. Pricing is very good as well. We will be back!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakhurst, California
“Dont believe the few good reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We eat out a lot, thought new management here might change things. No way, still bad food - go across the street.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

The food was the best Chinese/Japanese food in town by far. The owner was our waiter and he was very down to earth and prompt in service. The only downside to this place is the space, and location as it is right next to a bar.

• Visited July 2012